Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hmm ... I note the references (again) to 'wolves' etc in the texts but domestic dogs are NOT wolves having evolved into what they are over many, many years, there is a difference between your dog deciding it doesn't want to eat one day, which ours do occasionally, and being purposely deprived of food when they DO want it - I'm talking about your normal run of the mill domestic dog, not working dogs which do often need a different regime.

In the past we did feed our dogs once a day, at tea-time with maybe a few biscuits during the day, but from our experience feeding them 2 meals a day, rather than a really big meal and nibbles, has improved their health and contentment - indeed since we started doing this a good few years ago our little Lily's coat has improved no end and they don't get the rumble tummies they used to.

Reactions: Jim

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
a wild dog will hunt,kill,eat its fill and move on,anyone who feed's their dog more than once a day is misguided.
we have only ever fed our dog/dogs once a day,and when i used to run dogs they never got fed till they had finished their work,as for jim being misguided,he has probably forgot more about dogs than most of us know,his life depended on his dogs being fit and healthy.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I never eat breakfast and very often no lunch either...it doesnt bother me as its been a lifetime event.
That's YOUR choice though, not that I would recommend it either as that can certainly cause problems health wise ... but it's up to you!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Another vote for feeding once a day. Had working dogs when I was young on the farm and that was the regime then too.
Our dogs always fed once a day, great health and fit ...well... "As fit as a butchers dog "

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Our pooch set his on eating pattern. He was on three meals a day as a pup, he stopped eating the middle one so we went to twice. He then stopped eating in the morning and now only eats once a day. I won't do the fasting but I reduce his intake every few days.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Our pouch set his on eating pattern. He was on three meals a day as a pup, he stopped eating the middle one so we went to twice. He then stopped eating in the morning and now only eats once a day.

That is a pretty natural progression because the dog has a very large stomach and will gorge, so won't want that middle meal. However I remember vets advised that growing animals under 18 months, should be fed 2 or 3 times a day and never fast.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Don't think I could go down the route of fasting once a week but they get fed once a day at 4, they know the time, they may also get a treat every few days.
When at home the lady lab usually wakes us at 6 by barking to obviously say I'm lonely but when she sleeps with us at our cabin hubby doesn't waken us until 10. When we are away in the motorhome she will lie a lot longer also probably 8 ish.(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours are both on two on the advice of both breeders and the vet. We aren't working them at the moment but if they do do any hard work the advice then is to feed them more.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Our pouch set his on eating pattern. He was on three meals a day as a pup, he stopped eating the middle one so we went to twice. He then stopped eating in the morning and now only eats once a day. I won't do the fasting but I reduce his intake every few days.

If we let ours do that he'd have 10 meals a day, or maybe just constant.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We always fed once a day at night around 1800hrs
However, when we both worked the dogs were given a frozen RAW chicken wing as they were placed in their run before we left for work, this kept them occupied as we disappeared up the drive and stopped them barking all day.

Before anyone starts on about feeding chicken to dogs, Bones etc etc, Dog is a natural scavenger, in the wild, he/she is not able to catch large game, so relies on small stuff, or, dead animals, they are quite happy to crunch up dead birds etc etc, RAW chicken wings is dead bird! Dogs treat a raw chicken wing like a child treats sweets or icecream, it's a treat.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
We caravanned for over thirty years and, during that time took two different dogs away with us every time we went anywhere. one of them (Barney) could not take the heat when we went to france one year - answer - we didn't go to France again until he passed away. In his latter years he was diabetic, had a liver complaint and could not walk far - for the last few months we used to carry him off any site we were on to get him to a place where he could do his stuff without problems (I won't go into detail!)

I know some people would not change their lifestyle to suit a pet - we did. My advice is that if you really cannot make that change then re-homing really is the best idea but please, please do not even consider getting another animal until your lifestyle has changed.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Another thing, if a dog over eats, it upchucks, how often have you seen a dog trying to "re eat " it's upchuck ? It's just a thing that's inbred into them from when they were wild, waste not want not!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hmm ... I note the references (again) to 'wolves' etc in the texts but domestic dogs are NOT wolves having evolved into what they are over many, many years, there is a difference between your dog deciding it doesn't want to eat one day, which ours do occasionally, and being purposely deprived of food when they DO want it - I'm talking about your normal run of the mill domestic dog, not working dogs which do often need a different regime.

In the past we did feed our dogs once a day, at tea-time with maybe a few biscuits during the day, but from our experience feeding them 2 meals a day, rather than a really big meal and nibbles, has improved their health and contentment - indeed since we started doing this a good few years ago our little Lily's coat has improved no end and they don't get the rumble tummies they used to.

And how long would it take for your domesticated pooch to exhibit wild dog behaviours? Having been attacked by "family pet dogs" and seen my son being bitten by "the most gentle dogs" without any provocation, I am firmly convinced that most dogs are much closer to wild dogs than their owners imagine.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Just noticed I called my pooch a pouch. Hope he can't read and thinks he is going to be turned into handbags :rofl:

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
If 'timedownieuk' hasn't given up reading this thread can I suggest he finds a different kennels. When we go away in the Motorhome the two dogs come with us. If I am not ready to get dressed in the morning to take them out I just pop them on my bed and we go back to sleep again!! (However if desperate they go on a short lead just outside the door)
If we're away on a Warners break or some occasion where dogs are not appreciated they go onto a small kennels locally where they go for four walks a day and can run free and have a lovely time. No hang-ups from them.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Another vote for feeding once a day.
Our dogs always fed once a day, great health and fit ...well... "As fit as a butchers dog "

Plus one... Once a day for us in the evening, although no fasting. We have two labradors that are always full of the joys of spring :LOL::LOL:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Deep chested energetic dogs, such as our weimaraners, are best fed a couple of smaller meals a day to avoid gastric torsion (bloat).

So we do!

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Deep chested energetic dogs, such as our weimaraners, are best fed a couple of smaller meals a day to avoid gastric torsion (bloat).

So we do!
That's why we feed at 4, gives the dogs a couple of hours digestion before an early evening walk.(y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

So we do!

I've been reading that some small active dogs physically cannot eat all their dietary requirement at one sitting so of course they eat more than once a day. Makes sense.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Our Jack Russell is only 4.4 kg in weight, she's always been a very fussy eater, and she will only eat in the evening, sometimes a very small amount of food and treats, sometimes she will go 2 days without eating anything but she's always drunk loads of water and she always gets up during the night for a drink.

John.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we feed our spaniel twice a day, first thing in the morning and then a walk. then he gets his afternoon walk and then another portion. we find it suits him and us, and it is now part of his daily routine ( his body clock reminds us if we are late :) )

Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
We take our foxy with us and he is pretty ok. We have him on long leash outside. So in morning simply clip him on and go back to bed if need to! He can get little 'orrible if other dogs go by, but hey. travelling, he is in back and cant get into cab. i enjoy him cos i can take him for walk while other half tidies up!

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Is this the thread I should use if I decide to get a dog for Christmas and then change my mind in the New Year?
Depends if you already have the dog and decide to get rid and if that were the case you should have given it much more thought before getting it

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
And how long would it take for your domesticated pooch to exhibit wild dog behaviours? Having been attacked by "family pet dogs" and seen my son being bitten by "the most gentle dogs" without any provocation, I am firmly convinced that most dogs are much closer to wild dogs than their owners imagine.
... like people, all dogs are different ... some bite, some don't ... how they are treated and what rules they know and respect come into it. You can't tar all dogs the same just because you and you son had bad experiences.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
All dogs differ, some vicious, some are killers.
Interesting to know what "dog lovers" think about dogs who kill livestock, sheep etc.
What would their position be on that ? .. Ever see the aftermath? What reaction then ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The OP asked a question and he got an answer.

He did get a little more than an answer. He received personal remarks about his question which are not allowed here. Nothing serious, I agree, but discussions are ultimately better without such comments. Thankfully 99% of people here can respond to a post they are absolutely diametrically opposed to without getting personal.

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
... like people, all dogs are different ... some bite, some don't ... how they are treated and what rules they know and respect come into it. You can't tar all dogs the same just because you and you son had bad experiences.

I wasn't tarring all dogs the same. I referred to my belief that most dogs are not as far removed from wild dogs as their owners believe. I had dogs for most of my childhood and generally like them but I have seen well-treated dogs bite people and wild behaviour from the softest of pooches. Two of the three dogs that bit my son were introduced as being very friendly and love children; one bit him on the hand as he reached out to offer an introductory smell (as suggested by the owner) and the second bit him on the head as he walked past the dog after the owner said that it was ok to pass. Both owners were very upset that their dogs did what they did and I've known the owners for years - I trust them but it was clear that even they, who treated their dogs very well and had had them for years, could not predict their dogs' behaviours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back