LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Jenny, I'm lucky. I have a gorgeous woman in my bathroom when I get up for a weee................................................................THEN I put my glasses on..... :( Some old hag has taken her place... :(

Joy, I nearly pressed like then but thought better of it, so:LOL::LOL:.

Motorhome Muppets

Free Member
Dec 1, 2014
Nr Uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Who is the dog lover?
The OP who whould give up his dog or the camper who lets his dog lose on. Campsite to mess anywhere they want rather than take it for a walk.
And yes I have seen this on campsites.
Dog lovers who go shopping in Spain and leave two dogs locked in a Motorhome.
At least the OP wants a beter life for his dogs IMO

Mel
The dog lover is the one who looks after their dog responsibly, and the one who takes their dog for a walk on campsites - not let them roam

Deleted User
Our first dog, Lady, as a couple died in 1991 aged 16, prior to that we always had holidays camping in the UK and the dog came with us.
When she died we thought, don't want to go through that again, no more dogs and took the opportunity to take the tent to France for the first time in August and loved it. The Kids were 16 and 13 and after much badgering we got another dog, similar to the first a border collie cross, with the stipulation that she went in kennels whilst we went abroad for holidays. Did that once and was a traumatic experience for all so never used kennels again, fortunately one of the kids stayed at home with the dog after that.
When Gypsy died from leukaemia in 2002 the kids had left home and we were contemplating a lifestyle of a lot more travelling we decided not to have another dog, my daughter has two rescue lurchers and we get our dog 'fix' looking after them in the summer.
I do think however that we do put too much emphasis on the dogs need for us when I think the reality is the other way round and dogs very quickly adjust to a new caring home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
SERIOUSLY???:mad:

You are really that selfish that you see your pets as an inconvenience to your lifestyle?

We spent years working in dog rescue as volunteers finding loving homes for the dogs that selfish people "threw out with the rubbish"

when you take on any pet, it is for the lifetime of that animal that your obligation lasts. animals have feelings too and it breaks their hearts to loose their loving caring owner.

most dogs have a lifespan limited to 13-16 years with a few exceptions. they wont be an "inconvenience" for too much longer. 7am toilet opportunities is something they get used to. however like ours, they can be trained to expect a later time when in the van. theres plenty of places you can travel and visit that are dog friendly. maybe its you that needs retraining?

I really cant post what I am thinking of your suggestion. the forum rules are stopping me:mad:

Right behind you on this one TB1

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Have you considered a pet sitter rather than kennels?
Or a house sitter in your house who would care for your dogs? Less stressful than kennels?

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Sorry but what you are saying is nonsense !!!
When we decided to go full time,we actually got a dog with fur and not hair from Battisea ,and a Battisea brat he is,he lived in the van with us for 10 years,started out with paper passport,then a Portuges passport,and when that was full a French Passport.
Most places in Europe allow dogs in,when we stayed outside Venus on an air,an English couple had him for the day so we could go around the buildings,terrible place all the streets are flooded!!!!

He can be tethered if you are outside!! Gate put over door way if you want him indoors but want door open, water and top open if you leave him in side,it's the getting up so the dog can have a pee that's the problem really,what can I say,!!!!!!!:cry::mad::eek::banghead::lipssealed::lipssealed: , it's obvious that you think your dog is not worth getting up for,bu think of it another way,he gives you protection,will tell you if anyone is outside your van,gives you affection,makes you do some excises,helps you meet people,what more can you ask for!!!Eve

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
We have 2 dogs, both have passports and the MH is their second home, would never think of going away without them. Kathy would love to go to Cuba, but we will not put the dogs in kennels so she will have to go without me. (I have been already, but since we got the dogs we never fly together)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We have two dogs, they travel with us in the uk and get left in care when we go abroad. Not everyone is an out and out dog person though and I think it a little unfair to read some of the comments. Without trying life with a dog how does anyone know if it is going to suit them. In this case a little training may easily do the trick, feed them once a day in the morning and they will be able to go all night until a reasonable hour without needing to go out.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
May be you are right wildman,, I leave my dog with my daughter when I fly on holiday,the next one is for 39 days,he is 16 years old,and I am aware he might not be with us when I come back,and I cannot put my life on hold,
When any one gets a dog,they must realise that dogs need to P& P, so what do you do so different at home!!!
In Europe people take dogs cats birds,even seen a monkey .so may be I am biase .Eve

Deleted User
Our 3 go everywhere in the MH that we go, they actually seem to prefer the MH to home, probably because it's smaller so they can keep an eye on everything we are doing:). With regards to taking them out it's not much difference to home they wake up, get fed, wee breaks etc in the MH same as home. The youngest has epilepsy and needs her medication at set times am & pm, regardless of clock changes, but she has learned that she doesn't go out or get fed before 7am, if the time zone means getting her meds at 6am, alarm goes off she sits up takes tablet settles back down to sleep until 7am.
We have used both kennels and home boarders in the past and until Boston became ill they all enjoyed going, this was before we had a MH. We personally would not think of re-homing our dogs for lifestyle issues. But the fact you asked the question and are considering it, for you it might be the best option. :)

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Do you know what I dislike people been bullied because they have a different opinion, it was a fair question and I see know reason for it not to be asked.

Pardon! the OP is not being bullied. The OP asked a question and he got an answer. It may have not been the one he wanted but he got it nevertheless. AND it was the nature of the question that has effected most of the animal lovers on here (me included) that Q being that he doesn't like getting up on a cold morning to let the dogs out. This begs the question what does he do when at home?.
Owners often have to give up their pets but its usually because of the owners poor health or living conditions etc and they can no longer cope but I've never heard it said that an owner has even considered giving up their pet cos they don't like getting up on a cold morning.
I agree the OP can have all the opinions he likes (its almost a free country) and whilst some might agree don't expect everyone too

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I grew up with a dog and 2 cats. The cats were just as happy in kennels, but our dog could not handle it even when put in with the cats he refused to eat at all! My family could not afford to go abroad so we just camped and our dog would come with us. He would see the car being packed up and refused to get out even to eat in case we went without him. Once my parents wanted to stay in a B&B and thought they would try leaving him with our grandmother who lived with us. Even that was no good, our dog had firmly attached himself emotionally to Mum, Dad , my sister and I. He would quite happily stay with anyone of us. If we had rehomed him he would have died of pining and not eaten.

Other dogs are more than happy to stay with anyone as long as it is in their own home. A good friend of mine does this everytime she travels.

So there is no definate answer some dogs wouldn't handle it and other dogs would be fine. I think the OP is doing the right thing thinking about the best thing for the dogs. If your dogs are ok with other people in your home then do that, or they may like kennels. I would trial leaving them in one of those to see how you feel without them. It will cement your ideas as to doing the best for your dogs. Good luck, i hope everything works out.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... feed them once a day in the morning and they will be able to go all night until a reasonable hour without needing to go out.
Eh! o_O Feed them in the morning only and that will affect their overnight requirements? They may not need to poo but they'll still need to go out for a wee!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Pardon! the OP is not being bullied. The OP asked a question and he got an answer. It may have not been the one he wanted but he got it nevertheless. AND it was the nature of the question that has effected most of the animal lovers on here (me included) that Q being that he doesn't like getting up on a cold morning to let the dogs out. This begs the question what does he do when at home?.
Owners often have to give up their pets but its usually because of the owners poor health or living conditions etc and they can no longer cope but I've never heard it said that an owner has even considered giving up their pet cos they don't like getting up on a cold morning.
I agree the OP can

Yeah well the OP put himself in the firing line by telling us in the misguided hope many would sympathize. Well he got his answer didn't he[/QUOTE

To my mind the OP asked for help from experienced Motorhomers with pets and maybe given some help and guidance and about travelling with their pets and I have to say there were some good and helpful posts, but other Motorhomers (I may have got this wrong) thought the best way to help was to say how misguided he was to ask for help and other such remarks. The OP probably thought as their is a Pet Section on Fun there could be some kind of questions and answers for travelling with pets. As you say he was misguided.

If Bullying was the wrong description for this I apologise though 16 other people agreed with me.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Who was it that said the English love their pets more than their children , they keep their pets at home, and send their kids to boarding school, I think it was Kathy Letts

We always took our Dog/dogs with us, never placed them in kennels, and when we went overseas, we always had someone come to stay at our house to look after the dog/dogs

We came to the UK for 8 Weeks leaving our Shepard with one of our "surrogate daughters" When we came home again, everytime we went to the fridge to pour a vino the dog would sit there wagging it's tail looking expectant. We asked Julie "Whats with the Dog? Everytime we pour a dtrink she's perched right behind us?"
"When you left she was whinging alot at the door so I poured a glass of wine in her bowl, after a couple of glasses she stopped whinging, so each night I gave her a glass of wine to shut her up"

:Eeek::wub::doh::laughing::laughing::laughing:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have 3 dogs, most of the time they come with us, but sometimes they stay with family. The 2 dogs which have been with us the longest recognise when something is afoot and the van is being made ready for departure - they seem to get genuinely excited that we are going on a trip. Our biggest problem taking dogs away is probably SWMBO's Jack Russell, as it can be quite yappy and protective of the van/pitch at first by alerting us to passers by. But she gets better after a while of settling in and chilling out...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is this the thread I should use if I decide to get a dog for Christmas and then change my mind in the New Year?
A friend of Shirls is the local dog warden and kennel owner.
Dec 27th she posted on their faceless page they had just got their first Christmas reject.

And Chris, im sure you know a dog isnt just for Christmas........

Curried on boxing day and sandwiches thereafter should last a few days.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Eh! o_O Feed them in the morning only and that will affect their overnight requirements? They may not need to poo but they'll still need to go out for a wee!
when we are away they are fed in the morning, have water available all day and night, go out for a wee around 10pm and 10am. no problem

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
feed them once a day in the morning and they will be able to go all night until a reasonable hour without needing to go out.

We only feed once a day, in the evenings. Works well, not every day though as it does a dog good to fast a day every week or at least a day every couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We only feed once a day, in the evenings. Always does a dog good to fast them a day every week or at least every couple of weeks.
I'm afraid I cannot agree with you there Jim ... would YOU like to only be fed once a day and have to fast for a day every now and then as well???? To claim that is good for them is IMV misguided. It isn't difficult to spend the time to feed them twice (half in a morning half at tea-time) so it makes me wonder why people only feed them once, for some I suspect it is to purely make their life easier as it cannot possibly be good for the dog to have one massive meal a day and then nothing again. Same with those who don't let their dogs out during the day and instead expect them hold their bladders for 6 hours or more.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We only feed our cats once a day.

They are 15 this year and seem pretty content with life.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If an animal is fed once a day at a set time that animal is used to it and it doesnt know anything else.

I never eat breakfast and very often no lunch either...it doesnt bother me as its been a lifetime event.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No its what I was taught with working dogs, I've worked with a lot and fasting every now and again really does make them healthy. Actually I cringe when I see people who feed there dogs to our human pattern 3 times a day with treats in between. A dog stomach is designed to gorge on a big meal a day and go hungry now and again.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
To claim that is good for them is IMV misguided.

Never looked before just taken as read, here is something I just found. http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/why-you-should-fast-your-dog/

This too http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/July-2011/The-Health-Benefits-Of-Therapeutic-Fasting/

https://gooddogfoodco.wordpress.com/2010/10/11/the-health-benefits-of-fasting-your-dog/

This is rocky he's 11 this year. (taken this morning, It snowed and the postman was late, rocky was waiting for him :) The vet always compliments him on his condition and agrees that regular fasting is one of the reasons good his good health.
waitingforpostman.jpg

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm afraid I cannot agree with you there Jim ... would YOU like to only be fed once a day and have to fast for a day every now and then as well???? To claim that is good for them is IMV misguided. It isn't difficult to spend the time to feed them twice (half in a morning half at tea-time) so it makes me wonder why people only feed them once, for some I suspect it is to purely make their life easier as it cannot possibly be good for the dog to have one massive meal a day and then nothing again. Same with those who don't let their dogs out during the day and instead expect them hold their bladders for 6 hours or more.

Cats and dogs are descended from wild animals that will have good days and bad days hunting; they do not "need" to eat every day. However, it would be pretty rough to start depriving them of food if they are accustomed to eating at the same time every day or if they normally eat when you do; they would sit watching you and dribble all over the floor :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back