Aggrieved on a cl (1 Viewer)

Jul 16, 2020
Hungerford, West Berks.
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo 04
Exp
30+ years
Last week phoned a site in New Forest (CL) listed in CC book at £6, phoned to book and was told it was now £15 !!!!!! No extra facilities, views, nothing. Voted with our feet (or wheels) and went down the road to another site at £5. Do site owners think we are stupid?? We have a small coachbuilt with all facilities, only need a piece of grass to park on and sometimes, empty loo and fill water.

The Welsh Wizard

Free Member
Jul 24, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2016
It’s the old adage of supply and demand. Some of these CL owners have lost out considerably over the past 18 months and even now they are being “messed about” with people cancelling at short notice. I blame a lot of it down to the bigger site providers who have suddenly seen a commercial opportunity and dropped all previous restrictions to make a fast buck. Just remember what goes around comes around and when the COVID situation changes, which it will, the boot will be on the other foot

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Couple of points whilst I agree that if someone quotes a price they should stick to it. I would pay it if to stay there suited my needs, point out that I was paying it under protest and unlikely to return. But remember there are a lot of people the wrong side of the grass that would have been very happy to be where you are. We live next door to two young nurses and have seen at first hand the toll that this virus is having on them. Being alive and able to complain is not a bad place to be. But again the principle is the underlying fact. Being me I would have left
Yes life is too short. I pick my fights very carefully.

wyliecyotee

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
eldiss autoquest
Exp
We had a change of travel plans are now back in the north west leaving the beautiful welsh coast.
I rang a cl yesterday and got 3 nights booked £15 a night including electric hook up , very happy.
On arrival we have been asked for £16 a night it was a little rude as the statement was it’s cheap, clearly you can afford it, it was definitely £15 but hey ho.
We have to be here otherwise I would have told them to stick it.
Currently sat with every light on and the heating on full whack with every window open, I think I will get my extra £3 worth at least.
In our defence we are drying 3 loads of laundry.
Am I been petty or am I justified.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
We pulled on to a CL to be told "You are not allowed to empty your cassette as you are only staying one night"
The place was actually quite nice but that put us off ever going back, are we wrong?
No, I would have left immediately! :whistle2:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We pulled on to a CL to be told "You are not allowed to empty your cassette as you are only staying one night"
The place was actually quite nice but that put us off ever going back, are we wrong?
Well I’ve heard it all now that is truly incredible, I would never have believed it if it hadn’t happened to someone.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Explained as they were not on mains drainage and so they had to empty the septic tank more often. This was a C&MC CL wonder what they would make of it

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Explained as they were not on mains drainage and so they had to empty the septic tank more often. This was a C&MC CL wonder what they would make of it
I think the cl has to have chemical waste disposal to be a cl. Presumably if dumping the casette costs them so much there was a reduced rate for one night stays!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Another thing why do you need EHU in the summer?
We like EHU as we need medical equipment overnight. We do have solar / generator etc but if there are a few cloudy days it can be a bit of a worry. We even carry a dedicated back up battery for the equipment ......... We do know we can go 3 days without battery recharge as long as we are very careful with lights etc but we want to enjoy ourselves and not be on edge all the time.

Also asking for extra when you arrive is a cheek but I would have had a mutter and then forgotten it apart from not going back at a later date to be honest. Life is too short.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

We are also not on mains drainage and usually have the tank done every couple of years - but if we or next door (we share the tank and the cost) had full capacity at home then the tank would need more frequent empty.

Our last pump out was £350. Camp sites (in Scotland at least) can't use a tank that discharges to field / water course but have to have a sealed system with proper disposal. How many adhere to that I have no idea.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Last week phoned a site in New Forest (CL) listed in CC book at £6, phoned to book and was told it was now £15 !!!!!! No extra facilities, views, nothing. Voted with our feet (or wheels) and went down the road to another site at £5. Do site owners think we are stupid?? We have a small coachbuilt with all facilities, only need a piece of grass to park on and sometimes, empty loo and fill water.
It's the free market don't you know. Owners perfectly entitled to charge whatever they want (or at least can get away with), customer perfectly entitled to move on. That said, amazed that you can find somewhere for £5:00 per night in the Forest in the new world of "staycations", someone is either being altruistic or simply hasn't smelt the coffee.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Did you know you can slice Grapes in. Half. ?
My neighbour peels hers , as she does with any type of fruit or vegetable with skin
No, I would have left immediately! :whistle2:
So would I, after emptying the toilet.:giggle:
It's the free market don't you know. Owners perfectly entitled to charge whatever they want (or at least can get away with), customer perfectly entitled to move on. That said, amazed that you can find somewhere for £5:00 per night in the Forest in the new world of "staycations", someone is either being altruistic or simply hasn't smelt the coffee.
Yes they are but not after agreeing an initial price.
Or they are decent & not a piss taker.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Well I’ve heard it all now that is truly incredible, I would never have believed it if it hadn’t happened to someone.
That is a good one but hear these beauties from the guy running the site i’m on atm

“If it rains again tonight i’ll be putting a claim in for compensation”

“ A bird has sh!t on my awning, who do I complain to”

“it rained so hard last night and this morning, my baby who was playing in the awning nearly drowned, it’s disgraceful here and i’ll never come again”

“My fridge no longer works on gas and it did last weekend, your electricity has caused this so I demand a new fridge”

and this one tops them all

“there was a diversion due to the floods and I had to do another 8 miles to get here, who do I complain to”

I would never been a site warden as i’d kick everyone off who moaned for no real reason 😂

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Many of the holiday tour operators when giving out the surveys at the end would ask what the weather was like as there was 50% more complaints if the weather was poor.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Perhaps the site owner panicked when you pulled up in your humungous bus! And thought crikey id better stick a quid on per night here else its going to cost me money😬. And he might not have much in the way of business or social skills, would you have been happy if he had said something along the lines of “im terribly sorry,but your outfit is so large that im afraid ill have to add a pound per night to your rent,as it seems unfair to charge you the same as a small/regular size van,”

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I had a property five bedrooms full household with a Septic Tank that took all the waste water including solids, for those not familiar a lot of the waste soaks away and a great deal of the solids disappear because of the bacteria that lurks below, therefore, when you have it emptied the volume taken out does not match anywhere near the amount that passes through it. I would have thought it would be practical for a CL to have a tank that would cope with the necessary volume.

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
We had a change of travel plans are now back in the north west leaving the beautiful welsh coast.
I rang a cl yesterday and got 3 nights booked £15 a night including electric hook up , very happy.
On arrival we have been asked for £16 a night it was a little rude as the statement was it’s cheap, clearly you can afford it, it was definitely £15 but hey ho.
We have to be here otherwise I would have told them to stick it.
Currently sat with every light on and the heating on full whack with every window open, I think I will get my extra £3 worth at least.
In our defence we are drying 3 loads of laundry.
Am I been petty or am I justified.
Everyone deserves to earn a living,so you in retaliation are using as much power as you can for the sake of £1 , you need to get a life.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back