PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
It is only £3 but I understand the frustration.

I once called a reclaim yard as I was looking for 13 bricks to plug a hole and replace damaged ones in a 647year old cottage I was renovating. Guy on the phone said he had them at £1 a brick, so I popped to the yard to pick em up.

When I arrived and the guy brought them out, he actually stated that had he seen the car I was driving, he'd have charged me £2 a brick.

Think something similar might have happened in your case too.

That'll teach you to work hard, save money and have a dam gorgeous van won't it 😇

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
You will glad to know that all the laundry is dry and the heating is set back to the normal level. I do believe the cl owner didn’t gain from his mercurial attitude, he’s happy as he thinks he pulled a fast one and I’m happy that our laundry is all dry.
I do get your point as well Mr porky , I've stayed places where I thought the owner was taking the p**s as well. I try to take my dad's advice and "rise above it" though.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Is there any evidence it was the vans flashyness that cause the price change?. It could be one price for caravans and a different one for MH or by size or just changed. I wonder what others were charged

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
I’ve got a slightly different view on this. We stayed on a cl attached to a country pub last Saturday in Lancashire, advertised price was £15 per night incl electric, when we arrived and checking in the owner was very apologetic and said that they’d had to increase the rate to £16 as they been closed for so long due to COVID and this was one of their remaining sources of income. Place was full, he was turning people away who were looking for pitches, my advice to him was to increase his prices by at least 20%, clearly the market would pay. Know many on here won’t agree, but in business is not about cost plus, it’s about pricing to what the customer will pay. See Starbucks coffee for detail!

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Put a fun sticker over the Morrello badge, nip down to halfrauds and buy some number plate letters and stick them on the front.
WFTIS or TURIALOAT should cover it! 😄

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I’ve got a slightly different view on this. We stayed on a cl attached to a country pub last Saturday in Lancashire, advertised price was £15 per night incl electric, when we arrived and checking in the owner was very apologetic and said that they’d had to increase the rate to £16 as they been closed for so long due to COVID and this was one of their remaining sources of income. Place was full, he was turning people away who were looking for pitches, my advice to him was to increase his prices by at least 20%, clearly the market would pay. Know many on here won’t agree, but in business is not about cost plus, it’s about pricing to what the customer will pay. See Starbucks coffee for detail!
Well said, those that have been on Furlough have survived relatively unscathed, but many small businesses have been financially decimated. Increasing prices to recover from this is to be expected. I gave my mobile barber treble the quoted price, telling him he had just cut off 3 months worth so he had just done 3 jobs in one.
Unfortunately those that can afford it don't often recognise the financial pain and need a prod to do the right thing. These are not usual times, so hard bargaining with small traders needs some careful thought. Fortunately I choose where to stay for many reasons, least of which is the price of the pitch.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Every part of a MoHo is a consumable in some way or other so your £3 protest has just cost you about £30 in wear and tear.

If I was full timing like you guys then I would try and reduce my usage rates on my components wherever possible to help them last longer.

Just saying :)

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Every part of a MoHo is a consumable in some way or other so your £3 protest has just cost you about £30 in wear and tear.

If I was full timing like you guys then I would try and reduce my usage rates on my components wherever possible to help them last longer.

Just saying :)
No I don’t believe it has. Just saying 😄

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I gave my mobile barber treble the quoted price, telling him he had just cut off 3 months worth so he had just done 3 jobs in one.
I've done exactly the same for my last two visits to my regular hairdresser. For a couple of years I've chatted with the young lady apprentice about her attempting to save to get married and she, like many others, has suffered financially and emotionally from the lockdowns. Anyway, it's only money I would have paid her for haircuts in normal times.
At my first cut after lockdown I well overpaid her saying: "Put the extra in your bottom drawer". She gave me an odd look, bless her, and the owner had to explain to her the meaning of 'bottom drawer'. How lovely.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
No I don’t believe it has. Just saying 😄

At this rate it's looking highly probable that you'll be black balled from the Grand Morelo Lodge of GB.

Their membership is happy to spend £1,000 each on a Morelo baseball cap so having a '£3 tight-fisted git' story of this magnitude in the press will only damage their reputation.

You may have no choice now than to sell up and buy a tent.......and all over three measly quid.

:cool:

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Im disappointed in you Mr Porky!:(
After reading and enjoying your travels last year in France, with your great meals. I thought you were a breath of fresh air, spending money on decent food and wine
This was soo different, to the majority of extreme tight wads on here, who seem to thrive on spending the least they can. Some are so tight, that they actually squeak when they walk.😀
What you should of done, was thank him for charging the extra, because you didnt know what to do with the pounds in change from your £50 note, as your garage is full of loose change and you usually pop to Lidls and put them in the shopping trolleys for the poor people!😀

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Couple of points whilst I agree that if someone quotes a price they should stick to it. I would pay it if to stay there suited my needs, point out that I was paying it under protest and unlikely to return. But remember there are a lot of people the wrong side of the grass that would have been very happy to be where you are. We live next door to two young nurses and have seen at first hand the toll that this virus is having on them. Being alive and able to complain is not a bad place to be. But again the principle is the underlying fact. Being me I would have left

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We're skint but it wouldn't bother us in the slitest..
Just be glad to be out and about.
If you'd be paying£15/night to start with you aren't skint.
, he actually stated that had he seen the car I was driving, he'd have charged me £2 a brick.
You get a lot of that here. When I'm out buying stuff I want or need I dress like a tramp. Otherwise many will try & stripe you up. When out & about normally & I ask the price , if there is a split second hesitation as they look at you I say " Has dudado, no me interesa." & walk off.
See Starbucks coffee for detail!
& no one with an ounce of sense buys the stuff.
This was soo different, to the majority of extreme tight wads on here, who seem to thrive on spending the least they can. Some are so tight, that they actually squeak when they walk.
I ran a company in North London. I learnt there from the owner that it was not how much you earned that counted but how little you spent. So if it can't be had for nothing or put through the business, any business , someone else's business , then I'm not having it.:LOL:

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Have you heard yourselves, 15-16 so what! Get a life and trying to use as much electric is above petty, it’s far worse than a possible mix up over a quid!
I look at it this way, he though he got one over on me, yet I got my laundry dried double quick and felt less aggrieved about having to pay more than the original quote just because we have a nice motorhome. He’s happy I’m happy. Job done.

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
I would use as much electricity as possible and make sure they know why, but I am a petty b*****d. I would also be making sure I got a receipt lest they be forgetting to declare
Principal- pure and simple. Not about the extra few quid.
Funnily enough we pulled onto a CL advertised at £18 a few nights ago. Once sited I went to pay and was greeted with a request for either £20 cash or £21 card !!
Maybe it’s a growing trend !
Its illegal to charge extra for card payment nowadays.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Comments like that will lead to you being banned very quickly. Not in the spirit of Motorhomefun at all. I think it contravenes Rule 1. You are new so perhaps don’t understand that kindness is the key, personal comments are not allowed. This is a suggestion for jim999bob I meant to quote your post.

Jul 20, 2018
Funster No
The issue here is that CL info on the CAMC app is not always correct, up to date and lacks photos and other info, and has no quality control by CAMC, who are complacent. Complain, as if enough do, it might help, and in any case you'll feel better.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I'm on a rally in Sandwich, there is a Pitchup section of the site and because the Sandwich golf open is on the pitchup price has gone from £18 pn to £40 pn

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
That's not on. A complaint to CMC might be worth a try but basically the CL is a business so they can charge what they like.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I wish more people were like me, plenty of cash, money no object, you can’t take it with you.

Right I’m off to get the tea bags off the washing line.

The worst one I know is my sister, when she moved house she said to her husband having taking all the pictures off the walls”Are we taking the screws and plugs” and she was serious.

Yorkshire folk for you and I’m proud to be one.😄

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back