Ageing TomTom One 3rd edition fault? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My faithful old TomTom One 3rd edition SatNav is, I admit, getting on a bit, but I've sort of got used to translating the distances from Roman numerals and following instructions from Boadicea.

Anyway, its battery packed up the other day, so I bought a replacement battery, and a replacement TomTom One 3rd edition just in case.

I've charged the new battery up with the new SatNav, checked it works, then transferred it to the old SatNav. Problem is, when I switch the old one on, it does the TomTom jingle but nothing appears on the screen.

Before I list the old one on eBay for a piddling sum as 'spares or repairs', has anyone else had this problem and solved it, or is it just plain knackered?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
did you try resetting it using a paperclip in the hole?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've got one just as old that I hang on to as a backup or to bung in the wife's car. sods law, i would give it away and then need it the next day

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
did you try resetting it using a paperclip in the hole?
That usually sorts any ailments.

Failing that it may be the ribbon wire from the board to the screen.....really feeble connectors which break very easily.

Had to replace my old faithful GO910 because of same.

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've tried the reset button with no obvious result as the screen's blank.

I think I'll try it on eBay as spares/repairs, then if it doesn't sell, bin the innards and keep the outer case as a spare in case the replacement unit gets cracked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
do the reset again but hold down the power button for 20-30 seconds as you do it. this clears the bios settings and reboots it. you dont lose user settings though

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have the same unit but haven't used it for a while as we now have the snooper and that's getting old as well. Hate to get rid for a few pennies so keep our as a back up should old snooper not snoop any more.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back