Age related brake pad failure (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Just back from our trip to Wales, had a great holiday with only one problem which was sorted by some fantastically helpful people.
We were pitched at Devil's Bridge about 12 miles from Aberystwyth, Friday night and Saturday night. Saturday was wet and with little to do or see within walking distance we decided to take the MH to Aberystwyth. Shortly after leaving site there commenced an horrendous grating noise from the front brakes, metal on metal. I decided to risk driving to Aberystwyth in the hope of getting repairs, we ended up on the sea front at around 11:45. After many fruitless phone calls to local garages I decided to at least try to buy new pads, and was directed to try E & M on the trading estate just outside town. Yes, they had the pads, but there are two types, so I needed to get a pad out to see which type - it was now 12:20 and they closed at 13:00! With my back and a very limited tool kit I still needed a mechanic! Eventually I tracked down a wonderful guy who agreed to do the job, fortunately he was on the same trading estate as E & M. I arrived there at 12:50, he had the van jacked up before I got the cab door open! He removed a pad, ran to his van, and got to E & M with two minutes to spare. The pads were £31.00 and the total bill was less than £60.00, and he refused to take any more though I did offer as he helped me out of a bit of a spot, being faced with staying on Aberystwyth sea front (in a disabled parking bay) until Monday at least.
One pad had shed its brake material completely and was bare metal - apparently this can happen due simply to age, so for those of you not aware (as I certainly wasn't) it's wise to change your brake pads on a time basis, not just wear.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nice to hear a good result ! (y)

It is one of those jobs we all tend to put on the to do list but somehow gets missed out.. Over the years I have had a few pads shed their brake material especially on larger vehicles where the heat generated is amazing !
I tend to stick ( No pun meant LOL ) with EBC stuff nowadays.. Might be a few shillings more but have never had one give up on me yet ( actually, EBC HH Sintered if available for my needs .. Sintered with copper, they grip like poo to a wedding dress yet are VERY gentle on disks )

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Don't know about life on the pads but our 10 year old Burstner had 30000 miles on it and pads were only half worn out. None of them had any signs of breaking up. I used to remove pads once a year and clean calipers out so knew how they were looking. Tyres de-grade after 5 years check for cracking.

steve &ann. ------- teensvan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Water ingress between friction material & steel back plate causes rust to push the 2 surfaces apart over the years, lack of use makes it worse because they never dry out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back