Age of tyres on American RV - MOT? (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Hi.
Viewed an RV today with fresh MOT from reputable garage.
Age stamp on tyres
16 03..... Has been dry stored for at least 6 years by previous owner and passed to dealer now.
I thought tyres of that age would be a big NO? But is it different for bigger RV tyres?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think there is a 10 year age limit on tyres for commercial based vehicles being mot'd, but happy to be corrected

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I wouldn’t feel comfy driving on tyres that old,,it’s what you can’t see is the worrying part,,I’ve recently changed the tyres on our MH because they were8 years old,,when the fitter removed them he showed me the splitting all a round the bead,,the tread was fine but the rubber itself had perished.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Will only fail if showing cracks or lumps but I wouldn’t trust them.
My first RV had 6 year old tyres so I had new ones fitted , if one delaminates it rips through bodywork , suddenly new tyres are cheaper.

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
You are all confirming my thoughts.
I will have to see what dealer says to my offer with caveat of only if 6 new tyres fitted.
Offered a very fair price for my coachbuilt too, which I am happy to sell myself if he hadn't (bear in mind both vehicles I am talking about are 21 years old).

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Check the new rules as of February. Tyres now have restrictions and have to be replaced.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Check the new rules as of February. Tyres now have restrictions and have to be replaced.
I am not convinced that applies to motorhomes? see extract below from .gov.uk

We have decided to proceed with a revision of our proposal, where tyres aged 10 years or older will be prohibited from use on the front axles of HGVs, buses and coaches and from all axles on minibuses when fitted in single configuration.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012

We have decided to proceed with a revision of our proposal, where tyres aged 10 years or older will be prohibited from use on the front axles of HGVs, buses and coaches and from all axles on minibuses when fitted in single configuration.
I guess it would kill the retread hgv tyre market if they included age tyres on drive axle, and even the big firms and national companies use retreads

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp

It's a joke that RV and MH not included...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I guess it would kill the retread hgv tyre market if they included age tyres on drive axle, and even the big firms and national companies use retreads
Retreads can go back on the front axle so then up to 20 years on the carcass.

"The date of re-treading will be used to determine the age of the tyre, rather than the date of manufacture of the tyre carcass. Tyres re-treaded 10 or more years ago will be prohibited from use on the front axles of HGVs, buses and coaches and from all axles (in single configuration) on minibuses".

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's a joke that RV and MH not included...
I am not sure wether they are or are not included actually, it doesn't specifically mention Motorhome or private HGV but over 3500kg so PHGV might be included in HGV.

This might say that they are included?

"by introducing legislation, all in-scope vehicles, including those 25% of HGVs and 30% of buses, coaches and minibuses that are operated privately and are not subject to operator licensing and its associated maintenance schedules, will be subject to the same requirements. The vehicle involved in the second fatal collision was a privately-owned vehicle falling within this category".

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Retreads can go back on the front axle so then up to 20 years on the carcass.

"The date of re-treading will be used to determine the age of the tyre, rather than the date of manufacture of the tyre carcass. Tyres re-treaded 10 or more years ago will be prohibited from use on the front axles of HGVs, buses and coaches and from all axles (in single configuration) on minibuses".
I thought they had stopped retreads on the front, mind you I don’t know anyone who used them on the front of hgv . Drive axle is very common. An 8 wheeler might use them on the 2nd steer I guess.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back