After sales service woes (1 Viewer)

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5years Motorhome. 25yr tugger
After nearly a year of my dealer trying to get a warranty repair/replacement for a seat, Carthago are refusing to play ball. The beading around the seat started cracking and pealing within a year from new. This was reported to the dealer and they looked at it at its first Hab check in November 2019 and put in a claim with Carthago. This was refused and put down to wear and tear!! I had it inspected by a member of the upholsterers guild who reported that the beading was sub-standard. Sent report to dealer who forwarded it on to Carthago. Still no ! Back at the dealer in July for fridge repair I pointed out to the after sales manager that the same thing was happening in other places where there is no wear. He agreed that it looked faulty and tried again with Carthago. I have just learned they they have refused again. So what next? Do I go after the dealer under the consumer rights act? They have offered to sell me a new seat at cost price. Carthago really are shite when it comes to after sales service.
02CE02B5-04B1-43D4-9596-3E4794ACDE7F.jpeg

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Your contract is with the dealership - it matters not a jot if the manufacturer won't play ball, that's the dealership's problem.
Merchantable quality - and you have an expert's report that it is not.

A hassle but your dealer is trying to pull a fast one - it's their responsibility to sort it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
So sorry to hear about your experience with Carthago.
I had several issues with them at the beginning of my purchase and I was horrified at there attitude towards customers.
They are so cocky and confident that it's always the customers fault.
I've a couple of friends who decided not to purchase from them and I certainly wouldn't buy another. We need confidence of dealer/manufacturer backup if there are problems and not the shit Carthago give us.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
As Langtoftlad says, your grievance and contract is with the dealer. Keep pursuing your claim. They will be going back to Carthago and eventually they will get it sorted because they won’t want to get their lawyers involved in a court case and they won’t want the bad publicity associated with it. You might like to point out that you have mentioned this problem on a public forum and discovered that Carthago appears to have a poor reputation for after sales service.
Both the dealer and Carthago will be expecting you to loose interest in pursuing this to the bitter end. Don’t let them get away with it.
Keep detailed notes of every interaction and conversation you have with the dealer, etc. You will need a paper trail for your action through the Small Claims Court (I think that’s what it’s called in the UK).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Looks to me like the damaged piping is vinyl not leather
If you paid for leather upholstery you might have a claim.

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
You must hit Carthago where they don't like it. Find Carthago on Google Maps (Aulendorf in south Germany) and put your experience and incriminating pictures for all to see. You'll have to rate Carthago from 1 to 5*. If you can, put a good German translation too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back