Affordable ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We scrimped and saved when we were younger to make sure we would have enough money later in life. No meals out or holidays, no expensive HP or loans (other than mortgage) as only bought what we needed when we could afford it. Worked hard in my spare time to improve/extend each house we had so that we could get the maximum return when we sold.

I worked hard at work and got on well with promotions once I found a good company to work for. And joined the company pension scheme.

I started working for myself when I turned 50 and again had to work long hours in the evenings to get further qualifications that enabled me to branch out in a different direction. Again rarely went on holidays for a few years whilst I got myself set up. And even then put as much as I could into a personal pension scheme (tax efficient) rather than spending it on luxuries.

The result of all that hard work, and good fortune, is that we paid cash plus p/x of first motorhome for our new Hymer 6 years ago. And we are now getting the most out of it for as long as we can.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Don’t be fooled into thinking current Government and pensions schemes are as generous as they were some time back.

I pay 12.5% into mine and been in the scheme 24 years. Under the new terms forced upon us I can retire in another 26 years and actually get some back.

I am not exaggerating, Paramedics normal pension age is 67. You just accept you will have to leave early due to ill health in most cases and take the hit on income.

On the plus side, you are very familiar with Ambulances if you want to do a conversion. 😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
My new pension has been forced on us aswell but brought three houses while serving in the marines, paid for most of the MH in cash and took a small loan to cover the rest so I had a pot to buy another.

I decided not to marry or have children at this moment of my life (39) but I don't regret and now ready to leave in 5yrs as a paramedic, either in the NHS partime and to work the other half as a person who sits in there pants playing the computer and surfing

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
It's impossible to work on a truck for
Don’t be fooled into thinking current Government and pensions schemes are as generous as they were some time back.

I pay 12.5% into mine and been in the scheme 24 years. Under the new terms forced upon us I can retire in another 26 years and actually get some back.

I am not exaggerating, Paramedics normal pension age is 67. You just accept you will have to leave early due to ill health in most cases and take the hit on income.

On the plus side, you are very familiar with Ambulances if you want to do a conversion. 😂

It's impossible to work on a truck for 47yrs and lift people younger then yourself down stairs for a full career and be as enthusiastic as when you start

I do enjoy working in the NHS just not full time, I'm senior management in the marines and see all our floors in the NHS aswell and I can't change stuff at work let alone stuff in the NHS when I'm at the bottom

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
By never paying anybody to do anything for me unless absolutely necessary. Whenever I've had no choice the job has been no better than I could do myself and often worse. Learnt tons of stuff which I'm now using to run the moho and DIY rebuild a Georgian house as a little investment.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
How can you waste money down the pub?

Oh wait...!

I know...

By buying other people drinks.

JJ :cool:
Reminds me of the anecdote relating to the late Jack Charlton. When recognised in Pubs he would often buy everyone in the Bar a drink on him.
He always paid with a cheque and of course they were never cashed but subsequently mounted in a frame behind the bar. (y)

Vintage RV

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
C Class
We paid £1,695 for our 1986 American C Class RV, admittedly it needs a LOT of work. To date, I think we have put £2,500 into the project over the last month. When complete in 2022 we will have a huge motorhome at a fraction of the price people are paying for the same, those same motorhomes allegedly not requiring any work... hmmm.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (9).jpg
    s-l1600 (9).jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 65
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Reminds me of the anecdote relating to the late Jack Charlton. When recognised in Pubs he would often buy everyone in the Bar a drink on him.
He always paid with a cheque and of course they were never cashed but subsequently mounted in a frame behind the bar. (y)
When I was helping out a pal by doing a bit of taxi driving one of the guys said that when he dropped Tommy Cooper at a hotel late one night he paid the fare then stuffed something crinkly into his top pocket saying: "Have a drink on me".
It was a tea bag.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

One example is that when I reached Retirement Age (then 65) deferring the State Pension attracted a uplift of 1% for every 5 weeks delay(10.4%pa), plus it still got the index-linking. I did that for 6 years and the combined effect was to double the Pension. I have since in 7 years clawed back the normal pension I missed for those years, and of course I will get the enhanced amount for the rest of my life and the higher amount index-linked.

Soon after I took mine the deferment rate was dropped to 5%, so anyone doing the same thing would have to wait much longer to claw back in the same way. I doubt whether many people feel it is worthwhile now.

I think that when I did it not many people were wise to the possibility, even though it was in all pension estimates, but most people did not read as far as page 4!

Just a good and significant example of your point.

But like a lot of my generation we did well out of things like that, plus final salary pension schemes and roaring house inflation.

I cannot see many Millenials being able to afford a new Morelo in retirement.o_O

Geoff

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Simple answer is that everyone buys the motorhome that seems to suit their needs/dreams and pays for it in a manner that best suits them at the time. One person's comfort on the financing method will be another person's discomfort. As long as it suits you and your other half, who cares what the rest of the Forum or world approve/disapprove of?

I expect to lose a shedload of money to depreciation and to buying accessories/upgrades, the latter because I lack the technical skills to do the work myself. But I didn't return from our cruises and worry about the nightly cost; I did return and think how much I had enjoyed them, and then started saving again for the next mad adventure. I expect to do much the same with Brunhilde.

Steve

Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
15 months
Fortunately our carthago was bought for our business as I have to travel and work remotely and alone occasionally, we bought new as it was prudent to do so as VAT reclaimable on new vehicles only. Wording the invoice correctly was crucial 😬

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Bought a plot of land spent ages wrangling with planners to get permission, but on which we built our own house in the country... after the kids left it was too big and time consuming for us so sold up (at huge profit) and bought something much smaller... difficult to do now as plots of land are hard to find and cost an arm & leg to start with... but that's what we bought our Frankia with..

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
How can you waste money down the pub?

Oh wait...!

I know...

By buying other people drinks.

JJ :cool:
When I was younger and did lots of overtime a number of the guys who also did overtime spent that money and more on beer and gambling, there are lots of ways to loose money people will just describe it as ‘having a good time’

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010

Surely you wouldn't want to do an ambulance conversion after all you have seen!

I wouldn't and that's second hand info!!

Cheers James

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We did like others and spend less on other stuff despite having pretty good incomes in the past we changed our cars when they were 7 years old or so never bought brand new shopped at Aldi didn't eat out or have many takeaways etc. We had a plan for an early-ish retirement and budgeted accordingly. The motorhome came earlier as my wife inherited some money from an aunt who once travelled around Scotland in a camper and showed her the pictures when she was young we thought it was a nice way to spend it on our first high mileage ex rental MH.
The basic question of the post is how can people afford a motorhome. I think it shows how lucky we are to be in a generation where its seen as an expectation!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back