Affordable ? (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
How do people afford to buy new/nearly new motorhomes ?

We have a 2012 Hymer that we were lucky to able to buy outright (just). But I was looking at Frankia 640 motorhomes and realised they are way out of our budget to get anything newer than what we have at present, meaning we would probably need 30 or 40k.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hp or inheritance or selling a business they have spent years building everybody's story is different

None of those for me.

I could buy new but doubtful that I would.

I suppose my assets are a combination of being in quite well-paid professions having qualified in two, buying and improving houses in W. London then renting one out when I moved to Poland, but maybe the biggest factor was not getting married and having kids.

So reasons are varied.

I think I come in the category of "One makes one's own luck"

Geoff

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'd have to be earning a ruddy fortune now to buy the house that I bought for Ā£4,800 with a 90% mortgage of 3 times my salary 46 years ago.

My 25 yr old motorhome that I've had for 8 years is just one of my boys' toys and has done and still does everything a newer one would do.

Last edited:

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Not getting divorced, then after 40 years of work everything paid for. Everyone has a story. Only today my good lady and myself sat down and worked out how much we had paid for new cars over 40 years. It came to Ā£80K and we now only have a five year old Polo (Bought new Ā£12K) but a Carthago MH paid for.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Iā€™m lucky enough to have a new (well it was two years ago ) 7m moho but I also squirm at the cost of some of the ā€œbetter brandsā€ fast approaching 100k . Each to their own .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Mind you my EV , cut in fuel costs and virtually zero benefit in kind tax pays for mine ;-)

target open ā€¦..

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Chucked ours into the mortgage.

Not an option for those who bought houses after the 2008 crash where in the previous years the price rises in housing were utterly stupid!

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Affordable is in the eye of the beholder.

Some have the cash and confidence to buy new, some have the cash but wouldn't spend it on a new motorhome, while others are happy to borrow as much as it takes to enjoy their life to the full.

We all have very different circumsatances, motives and acceptance of risks... :giggle: (y)

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
I'm happy with my autotrail apache 700 2014 with 7k miles on it and hopefully it will last me many many years

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
just my observation many ex police firemen and civil servants etc
I'm one. But very much down to good luck. I started as an engineer with the GPO just before it became Post Office Telephones and left the Civil Service. Fortunately that brief period was enough to establish a pension on Civil Service terms. Not that I realised back then that it was important. I do now šŸ˜Š.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
just my observation many ex police firemen and civil servants etc
Indeed paying in about 13% of their respective salary for 30 years and also 12% NI. So at the end a pension that has been paid for in the region of Ā£150000 for a constable so at the end a lump sum and a monthly income. How many others 30 or 40 years ago gave up 13% of salary for pension plus Income tax and NI from day one starting a new job and still trying to make ends meet over the years with ,mortgage rates around 15%. At the end of the tunnel it comes together to enable the recipient to decide what to spend it on. Many needed to pay off mortgages, ex partners and the like but yes motorhomes can be bought

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never earnt much but the boss has always watched every penny, so saved hard and had a some good investments.
We are on our 3rd van, first van kept 6 years last one 3 years, current one 4 years old, both changes cost us 23k but we have spent another 10k on this one.

Next van will cost us more to change as we like having a new van, couldn't afford new things when we were younger.

We afforded it by not wasting money, we don't smoke, don't waste money down the pub, etc.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Indeed paying in about 13% of their respective salary for 30 years and also 12% NI. So at the end a pension that has been paid for in the region of Ā£150000 for a constable so at the end a lump sum and a monthly income. How many others 30 or 40 years ago gave up 13% of salary for pension plus Income tax and NI from day one starting a new job and still trying to make ends meet over the years with ,mortgage rates around 15%. At the end of the tunnel it comes together to enable the recipient to decide what to spend it on. Many needed to pay off mortgages, ex partners and the like but yes motorhomes can be bought
I joined the military and done 27 yrs but didn't have to do the financial contribution but did a personal life contribution of 100 days every year on operations for tha last 27yrs

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Well to retire after 30 years it would need 13% contribution.

Our 'old' scheme in BA to retire at 55, so 35 years for a full pension, needed 10% contribution, which compares.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It is only in recent years that it is " paid in to anything" .It used to be you were deducted the amount , as in "not paid it", but it didn't get invested anywhere. You were just not paid it & all pensions were paid out of the general police budget.
Additionally the lump sum taken would usually well exceed the amount "paid in".
It wasn't many years ago that all pensions came out of the police authority budget & at one point the Met stated that 60% of the budget went on pensions & within 10 years all of it would.

If the government had actually ring fenced your contributions along with what they were supposedly "paying in" as employers, it could have been an excellent 'scheme' . Unfortunately, like all governments, by paying from the general pot it allowed them far more 'money' to spend on superfluous schemes & nonsense & knowing someone else would likely be in power when it all came home to roost. All parties are the same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back