Aerobie Aeropress Coffee Maker (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
When I say fussy, she's not as bad as you lot it would appear ;);)

:LOL:

We've got a Tassimo in a cupboard. Not that bad but the Cappuccino is really second rate, which is why it's in a cupboard.

'Er indoors uses a simple old fashioned filter funnel for decent breakfast coffee, probably cost a whole £1.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Delongi bean to cup at home it's great still getting used to a bialetti in the van

Joe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Can anyone recommend a decent thermal mug, not a metal one that burns your lips and not a tall one with a narrow base e.g. those Costa ones ?
I use the Smart Café by Conran, which is a double insulated plastic coffee mug with a cafetiere-type plunger built in. For me it makes the best coffee I've ever tasted, and it is steaming hot, and stays hot for ages. I've used them for years, and have bought them for many relies and friends, as they make an excellent present and are quite cheap, you can buy them for six or seven pounds including postage. You are left with the grounds in the mug, but it is quick and easy to wash them out, you'll develop your own method with useage. Also it comes with a lid.
Broken Link Removed

Highlander68

Free Member
Oct 3, 2013
Tain highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of 04
Exp
I ' ve got one simple and effective cant fault it really
B
Sent from beyond the clouds in the mystic highlands

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Tried a Mokka pot and a Mukka pot that handles the milk, filter and varioius cafetieres over the years, but the Aeropress I think has them beaten for taste and ease to clean up. My current setup is
  • Aeropress, with paper filters
  • Hario Grinder, manual
  • Milk pan and Aerolatte, to froth the milk
All works well just a pain to grind beans and make coffee if more than 2 cups required. Tried a cordless drill to operate grinder worked OK but not part of the kit yet.

marcusb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2015
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs GlobeBus T8
Exp
Dear All,

First time post and on the verge of delivery of our first motorhome. ...

We like quality coffee and already have Aeropress and Nespresso at home.

besides a Design Study (not manufactured) I conclude that there is no portable and 12V Nespresso machine. Correct?

I know that some other portable capsule machines exists Lavazza?

Anyway, we plan initially to use our Aeropress.

I made a little review here.
Easily available in the UK
Broken Link Removed

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Dear All,

First time post and on the verge of delivery of our first motorhome. ...

We like quality coffee and already have Aeropress and Nespresso at home.

besides a Design Study (not manufactured) I conclude that there is no portable and 12V Nespresso machine. Correct?

I know that some other portable capsule machines exists Lavazza?

Anyway, we plan initially to use our Aeropress.

I made a little review here.
Easily available in the UK
Broken Link Removed
Nice review, thanks for explaining.
For someone who has not used one before it is very useful.
Oh, forgot to say,welcome to the forum :welc:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! I don't turn the device upside down to fill it but I might give it a go.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
image.jpg
We've had loads of different coffee making bits of kit over the years and we've found this the easiest way both in the van and at home.

old1

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Funster No
Tassimo make loads of pods, just find one you like, wack it in the inverter socket = coffee on the move
Quantity not quality that's me.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I have a Tassimo for home use but just bought one of these for the motorhome

Broken Link Removed

Haven't used it yet but seems simple enough.

Kingleem

Free Member
May 15, 2015
Alcombe, Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Funster coffee lovers - Has anyone got one of these? If yes what are your thoughts on them? Thinking of getting one for the van to avoid the mess from the cafeteria or the inconvenience of not being able to use my Nespresso machine when not on hook up and also not being able to source the pods while travelling.
Have had one since Christmas and am delighted. Tip for ensuring no coffee grounds leakage is to wet the filter paper with a couple of drops of cald water before putting in coffee and remember to gently shake to level coffee off before pouring in hot not boiling water. All the best with it.

Viking

Free Member
Oct 1, 2014
Funster No
We have used a nespreso for the past four years great kit but only whith the genuine pods george cloony seems to like it tried the tassimo but powderd milk not the same

Kingleem

Free Member
May 15, 2015
Alcombe, Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Number 3 son has also advised that it is a good idea to avoid a bitter aftertaste to not press down plunger fully whilst over cup. You don't lose any coffee but it does appear to work.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always use one of these, a Steller Espresso maker at home, and a similar one brought in France 20 years ago in the Motorhome. In our opinion makes the best coffee and nice & simple.

$_35.JPG

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I use a filter machine at home but used a cafetiere in the van. Trouble is they are fiddly to clean and come apart too easily.

On our most recent trip I finally got sick of the latest in a long line of cafetieres coming apart and bought one of These from Clas Ohlson. OK, you have to pour the water on a bit at a time but it makes excellent coffee, is robust and cleaning is a rinse after disposing of the filter paper (y)

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I pick up the Aeropress tomorrow and will will let you know whether it's yet another gadget that gathers dust in the cupboard or if it will replace my other coffee makers.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Have been using the Aero Press for just over a week and I am chuffed to bits with it. Neither the cafetière nor the Nespresso machine have been used since picking up the AP.

It's simple, quick and clean. I have tried both the inverted method as per 'YouTube' and the method advised with the instructions and coffee tastes good whichever way you use it.

The other thing that is very good about it is that you could take it out on a hike with a flask of hot water and make yourself a proper coffee, have always disliked flask kept coffee.

In a nutshell it gets a big thumbs up from me.(y)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Have been using the Aero Press for just over a week and I am chuffed to bits with it. Neither the cafetière nor the Nespresso machine have been used since picking up the AP.

And now ?

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We bought the Aeropress at the Stratford Adventure Overland show in September. I'm pretty impressed with the both the ease of use and the resulting coffee, although we are lazy and don't grind our own beans.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
There is a constant hot water device being advertised in the national press. Can't recall the make, but it is a 3.5 litre insulated container, which when boiled retains the heat with just a 2 watt trickle to maintain constant hot water for tea or coffee. Aside from the danger aspect of travelling with boiling hot water, you could boil it before you set off, then with an inverter keep it hot while travelling.

On the other hand, what we do at present is fill a flask with hot water before we leave, and make our coffee in the Smart Café when we take a break. Perhaps all we need is a second flask!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
And now ?
Yep, still using it and happy. Although we now have a bigger inverter and battery bank in this van, so if the Solars are doing their stuff and the battery panel thing has a smiley face on it, I do still use the a Nespresso Machine. On dull days and as we are off hook up for the next few weeks the Aero Press is the best bit of coffee making kit after the Nespresso Machine.

The best thing about it is that Colin doesn't mind using it so I get an nice cup of coffee made for me, he hated the cafetière.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I discovered a useful trick with the Aeropress, especially when in the MH as it avoids getting grounds in the waste tank.

After brewing the coffee, depress the plunger to expel the coffee into your mug but don't push it all the way down as this will just get grounds on the bottom of the piston. I find there is always an air gap between the piston and the coffee so I stop as soon as the coffee stops flowing and you can hear air coming out. Then put the whole contraption under the tap and run a little water down the gap between the plunger and the cylinder so there is about half an inch of water above the rubber piston.
Now place a square of kitchen paper on the sink drainer and hold the Aeropress vertically above it. Unscrew the perforated bottom bit. If the grounds come away with the perforated bit just invert it over the paper and shake them out.

Then holding it all vertically off the paper depress the plunger all the way down until the piston comes out of the bottom, at which point the water you added will flow out and wash away the last of the grounds from around the piston.

The result is an Aeropress which just needs a quick rinse and a wipe. All the grounds are on the paper and can be disposed of. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back