Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
This maybe an idea, I’m going to be having the radio head unit replaced over this winter. The current aerial is a rubbish screen mounted thing. My question is, can the TV aerial be used as a cab radio aerial? Running the cable could be fun but if it’s doable it might be a solution. The current TV aerial has a box that needs to be switched on for the TV I think. Would this need to be switched on for the radio? This aerial doesn’t get used for the TV as we never watch TV when we’re away in the van.
Thanks in advance,
Glenn.

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
I think it really depends on the aerial. I hooked my old head unit up to the old Status TV aerial we had fitted (much like you we don't bother with TV when we're away) and it was OK, not great, but usable. With the booster turned on definitely better. When I replaced the head unit a couple of years ago the reception using that aerial was next to useless. Tried the usual screen mounted ones but no joy there. Ended up fitting a decent aerial from DabOnWheels, get better reception then in the car, which has a factory fitted DAB aerial.

OP
OP
glenn2926

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I think it really depends on the aerial. I hooked my old head unit up to the old Status TV aerial we had fitted (much like you we don't bother with TV when we're away) and it was OK, not great, but usable. With the booster turned on definitely better. When I replaced the head unit a couple of years ago the reception using that aerial was next to useless. Tried the usual screen mounted ones but no joy there. Ended up fitting a decent aerial from DabOnWheels, get better reception then in the car, which has a factory fitted DAB aerial.
Definitely don’t want DAB I had it in a car. Great reception unless you moved. Which is sort of the purpose of a car. Every time I tuned the DAB in it was really good but as soon as I drove anywhere I had to retune it. So just whatever the other way is called will do me.
It sounds like I will need to drill and fit a new aerial into the front wing. The roof is plastic so I don’t think an aerial would work up there plus I really don’t want to drill holes in my roof.
Thanks again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Thought everybody used DAB - you might want to give it another go. Never had an issue. We have an arial specifically for the radio but strangely actually also works the tv - only found out by forgetting to put the dish up!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our radio is just FM which we use in the UK, but abroad I tune it into the FM transmitter gadget so we can have any station in the world on with perfect reception via smartphone Internet radio 😎
DAB is so last century 😁

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thought everybody used DAB - you might want to give it another go. Never had an issue. We have an arial specifically for the radio but strangely actually also works the tv - only found out by forgetting to put the dish up!
Not strange at all Hymer fit amplifiers for TV, DAB & FM.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Don’t bother, just use data and radio app on phone. Even if DAB works, which most time it doesn’t, it still won’t when abroad. Data does 👍🏻👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I had a boxer with aerial in the mirror. Absolutely useless. Put a rubber ducky one on the near side wing much much better.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I replaced the head unit for a Blaupunkt Stockholm and had it fit by Autosound in Bradford.
They’ve been around for about 25years and used to exhibit at Motorhome shows.
They do a lot of work on trucks and coaches so are used to running cables.
They fit a digital aerial to the front wing and a booster box to the inside windscreen.
The DAB is good but I can never remember how to work the stereo. Too many buttons.
I tend to use it more with my music on a USB stick.
They looked into a roof mounted aerial as initially, I didn’t want the wing drilling but ended up being guided by them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back