Aerial/ dome for easy UK TV viewing (1 Viewer)

Julie And Rod

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I have read some of the threads regarding getting a good TV signal, but as a technophobe, fairly new to motorhoming, could do with a bit of advice. Primarily we use the MH for weekends away, (with occasional longer breaks) in the UK. We are looking for something which doesn't require too much faffing about, when we arrive. Currently we have an aerial, and a standard free view TV, but can either only get a few channels, or none at all. Your thoughts, would be appreciated.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just to check.
1, You know that you need to re-scan channels every time you move location ?
2. Aerial may be directional and so needs pointing in the correct direction.
3. In weak areas you need the amplifier on but in strong areas it's best off.

That will now add to your confusion :)

An automatic dish and Freesat receiver will keep it simple but at a cost.. Even then you could be in a bad position, trees in the way etc....

Nothings simple... !! :whistle:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is the aerial directional ? In other words you need to rotate it ? If not the get one, much much better.

If you go satellite you still run the risk of having to choose you position due buildings/trees blocking the signal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Julie And Rod

Julie And Rod

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Sorry for my ignorance, but if you have satellite do you need to subscribe to a company such as 'Sky'? Not sure if current aerial is directional. Is there one that automatically finds the signal. We briefly had another MH, and all we needed to do was tune the TV when we arrived anywhere, and it found the channels, but not so with our new one.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No subscription, simply buy a Freest receiver.
On this Rapido I took the aerial out and used one of the dome mounting feet to seal the hole
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As Techno stated.. No you do not need any subscription if you simply want free channels like those you have on your TV at home now... FREESAT, is a free service and receivers have a unique on screen guide that puts just UK channels in a sensible order.. You can use other receivers like a Sky box or a "free to air" but this may add to confusion as then you end up with scambled or foreign channels mixed in with your UK ones.
Self searching Automatic systems are the way to go if thats what you want. (y)

OP
OP
Julie And Rod

Julie And Rod

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Is a Dome or a dish better for what we want? I don't know what the difference is. Also we are going to the NEC show next week, will there be anyone there who can fit one if we take MH with us?

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We've had both - the dish is great for getting a signal but if it's very windy it needs to be retracted. The dome was also great but they are fairly fragile as we found out when we caught ours on a very small branch - completely smashed it. Swings and roundabouts I think.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We used to have a dome with 12v Pace Javelin receiver for Sky subscription channels in a previous van, but more recently we got a Snipe to use in conjunction with the free to air satellite receiver in our Avtex tv - works pretty well so far.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just got the Hymer and had the Roadpro dome fitted, same as @Techno .
I have had dish and dome and for UK prefer dome as can keep viewing without risk if the wind gets up.

OP
OP
Julie And Rod

Julie And Rod

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Thank you for your advice, it sounds like a dome would be our best bet, although I've just had a quick look, and think my hubby will have a heart attack when he sees the cost. Maybe a wire coat hanger will be to his liking!

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We have used the maxview crank up sat dish and freesat box for 10 years now on our two vans. We found free view crap on most campsites when we first had a M/Home having to retune in every county. Freesat will give UK TV down to Spanish boarder or further depending on dish size. Dome sat systems are not as good as a good dish.

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Just a suggestion if you don't want to go down the satellite route or have an aerial permanently fitted we have an Avtex TV with built in tuner and stick on Avtex STH3000 aerial, this has worked very well for us so far, always get good picture and loads of channels.(y)

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
we use a Maxview MXL004 Omnistat Vudome (£550 April 2014 ) and a cheap receiver, works great in the uk and Northern France , Belgium and Germany. While not fully automatic it only takes about two minutes to be up and running.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
I have a KHV dome originally fitted by vanbits about 7-8years ago. I just buy a new set of feet each time I change motorhome and always make sure the change over comes in the deal. Now on its third van.only thing to remember it not to park to close to trees to obscure satellite vision.
And I have never had to put dome down in a strong wind(y)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Another thumbs up for the Avtex STH3000. Have tried the Vision product with an extending pole, but the Avtex works just as well, we use it inside the van and it works well if not better.

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Although our new van (to us) has a Roadpro Dome fitted to be honest it was not a deciding factor in the purchase, all modern Digital TVs come with Freeview and you don't need any fancy boxes or gadgets just a half decent TV signal, we have managed very well for years with a roof fitted directional aerial and June is now adept at finding the signal (normally by looking out the window to see where everyone else is pointing). I would suggest that your previous aerial was omni-directional like the round ones you see on top of caravans and therefore did not require adjustment (although the signal is often weaker). The other option you have is to buy a portable set-up which once you have 'found the knack' of setting it up can give excellent results.

If you don't desperately need it I would suggest it is just another expensive accessory that you can normally do without.

OP
OP
Julie And Rod

Julie And Rod

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Thank you all for your much appreciated advice. Through this thread we have been offered a used Roadpro dome, which we have decided to buy. I have spoken to Roadpro and the seller, who have advised us that we will need feet a cable box and cable to fit it to our van. We have a 12 month old standard TV (not an Avtex). Whilst at the NEC last week, we were told by a dome fitter that if we didn't have an Avtex TV we would also need a Mobile Freeview unit, even though our TV has built in Freeview. Is this right, as I can't find anything else that advises buying one of these?

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
For a dome you need a freesat box not freeview as the dome works on satellite signal not ordinary freeview tv signal..we haveused a 12v pace javelin but as we no longer have sky we are changing to a Manhattan box:)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You can get free to air satellite receivers that work on 12 volt,several cheap receivers available, not just freesat.
Just an example
Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back