Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
Full timing since Dec 2017
Hi all,

Myself and the Wife have been full timing since December last year and have decided to try the improve the TV reception we get in certain places.

I have no idea when it comes to this - however from what I've read I thought this would be simple as I believe the TV to have an in built Sat Receiver allowing me to plug my dish directly to the DVB S2 Port.

We have a Carthago C-Tourer 150I, the TV which came as part of the media pack is an Alphatronics SL-24 SBCR to which I have connected directly through the pre wired Sat Cable a Maxview Crank Up 85cm Dish.

I can't seem to get any form of signal even though I'm fairly confident I've aligned the dish correctly, and a message on the TV Screen tells me to 'Check satellite equipment, cables and connectors'.

Can someone please tell me if I am missing anything (apart from a load of knowledge), help me sort the issue and mostly stop my Wife saying 'I told you that you couldn't do it!!'

Thanks in advance......

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hello Simon
Haven’t got a clue,but welcome to MHF!

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I can't seem to get any form of signal even though I'm fairly confident I've aligned the dish correctly
How confident are you "I've aligned the dish correctly"?
The dish only needs to be less than a centimeter out of alignment and it will get no signal.
Are you using some form of signal meter to assist in locating the correct alignment? Most "beepers" simply tell you you are on A satellite, but not THE satellite that you want (there are groups of satellite less than 2 degrees away from the UK TV satellites!). And most, if not all alignment "apps" are not accurate, and only get you in the ballpark.

Does the receiver already have UK channels pre loaded? If so it is a case of move the dish slightly, and see if they come in (assuming you have an up to date channel list in the receiver!)

If no channel list, the set the receiver up for a nice strong signal (say Sky News on 12207 v 27500 5/6) and move the dish very slowly until you get signal bars...then do a scan.. and if you have sky news then you have the correct satellite...then you can fine tune...and then do a full scan for all the other channels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Simon Richardson

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
The part that concerns me the most is the fact the TV tells me to check the equipment/ cables etc.

The instruction manual with the TV is a 'Short Manual' so doesn't really help.

Is there a way to check whether the TV has actually got a built in receiver?

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
The part that concerns me the most is the fact the TV tells me to check the equipment/ cables etc.

The instruction manual with the TV is a 'Short Manual' so doesn't really help.

Is there a way to check whether the TV has actually got a built in receiver?
I'm no expert but mine has a satellite mode in the menu.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it has the screw-on F-connector then it has a satellite receiver. You have used the F-connector for your aerial and told the receiver which satellite to look for l assume?

OP
OP
Simon Richardson

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
Yes, you've confirmed what I thought.

I've connected everything correctly, and firstly did a auto scan looking for Astra 2 - nothing. Tried to do a manual scan and there is no signal showing at all on the signal strength bar.

I didn't expect to just plug it in and it work - I'll have to keep fiddling!!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Takes time to master the ART of getting a signal on any point yourself system.....I am 100% in favour of what Satanspcguy has written.

OP
OP
Simon Richardson

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
Thanks all for the replies - I've fixed it....

Not entirely all my own work - we are currently on the Isle of Wight and Lee from L&S Digital (www.digiguy.co.uk) was working on a static caravan and kindly helped me get my dish working.

The problem looked to be a break in the coax cable which forms part of the pre-wire for the satellite once Lee had had his test meter on it.

It looked at one point as if I needed to run a new length of coax from the TV to the panel above the fridge were the coax from the satellite came through the roof. Lee left me with a 5 metre length of coax and bid me good afternoon.

The weather was a bit crap today so I thought I'd have a crack at running the new cable, as I traced the old cable above the door behind the control panel for the heating - imagine my delight when I found 2 F plugs that just needed joining with an F to F connector! Boom - all done.

The only problem I have no is I can't get anything on terrestrial TV!!!!!

There's always something!!!??

OP
OP
Simon Richardson

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
We've not moved and I've tried to retune, but it says there's no signal.

That's a problem for another day - there's an hour Emmerdale tonight and Love Island is back on! Woop woop!

:whistle::whistle:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You will need to select which source you want.
It can't be selected automatically.

Look in settings for SOURCE.

select DTV for terrestrial TV and probably SAT for satellite.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back