advice (1 Viewer)

doug 2072

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
Funster No
hi the names doug ,just wonder if anyboby could give advice.its the first time we have hired motorhome for a week.any advice on anything people think i should know would be great
thank
doug

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hello Doug, remember its wider , higher ,longer and heavier than your car. If you already drive a commercial vehicle, ignore what I just posted :Smile:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Bottle opener, tin opener,and enjoy,don't worry to much about what you might forget if you do forget anything chances are you'll be close enough to town or city to get it.Drive carefully and enjoy yourself:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hello Doug, remember its wider , higher ,longer and heavier than your car. If you already drive a commercial vehicle, ignore what I just posted :Smile:

Most important BEWARE THE OVERHANG.

You turn and the back end sweeps a BIG arc, don't sideswipe anyone with your rear end.

Beware the wing mirrors.

Photograph it a lot, conspicuously, when you collect it. There are rogues who like a nice little bonus blaming the hirer for existing faults.

And after that just enjoy yourselves a lot.

OP
OP
D

doug 2072

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
Funster No
many thanks.
thinking of going scotland or new forest any advice on good sites anywhere,
open to any ideas

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Most important BEWARE THE OVERHANG.

You turn and the back end sweeps a BIG arc, don't sideswipe anyone with your rear end.

Beware the wing mirrors.

Photograph it a lot, conspicuously, when you collect it. There are rogues who like a nice little bonus blaming the hirer for existing faults.

And after that just enjoy yourselves a lot.

Must be like my missus , she's got overhang :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The rear end swing is the main one, when on tight lanes watch your inside as well as the passengers side rear (of the motorhome that is - or you will crash! lol!)

If you are a C-Class (That is Luton bodied) then be careful of low bridges, your height should be marked in view on the cab windscreen area. If in doubt, go another way - and DONT trust the Sat Nav! Every motorhomer and caravanner will tell you tales of sat nav woe!

The working are simple enough, you should have a step by step guide there, or the owners can be called i should imagine. Make sure you shut all windows and batten down the hatches, and aerial before you move off and I cannot see a problem!

Just in case, keep the hire documents to hand, such a hire agreement, recovery contacts, accident book, etc. They seldom ever check, but it is peice of mind. Any problems, you can always call the company!

Hire really is an easy way of doing things!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Make sure your partner doesn't have a camera when you are trying get off the overhead bunk naked...:Blush:

OP
OP
D

doug 2072

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
Funster No
thanks
if missis cooking will be the burned one:ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hello and welcome to the fun......what everybody else has said is good sound advice and I totally agree..... just one small thing I would say, you will always find there is something you need or you have forgotten......while you are waiting to go on your trip try to think of everything you may need e.g. medicines/tablets, razor,night wear, camera sunglasses,wallet, mobile telephone, etc etc and write them down on a check list and tick off as you pack to go..........and you will always find something to buy that will help in the motorhome..the difference between hiring and your own motorhome is little home comforts items you would leave in the van if this is the first time then don't let hiring put you off owning you own van.....enjoy your Holiday

Mel :thumb:

And don't forget if you have used a electric hook up to disconnect your cable before moving off
And if you have had your satellite dish up for the television to wind it down before moving off

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thinking about going scotland or new forest any good sites

welcome to the fun doug.:thumb:

with regard to sites it depends what you want....all singing commercial sites with restaurants and entertainment will be thin on the ground in scotland but if you want a bit of peace and quite you will find many sites as you drive along.

you could also have a look Link Removed for a list of scottish sites.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Make sure your partner doesn't have a camera when you are trying get off the overhead bunk naked...:Blush:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I advise the same as everyone else.
Follow the check list before setting off. The lease company should provide you with one.
If your out and about on country roads watch out for the trees , over hanging branches , bushes etc . Let the other vehicle approaching , go off the road if its narrow. You may get stuck in the mud .
Put a tea towel under your glass lid cooker top. Stops the anoying rattle.
Most of all enjoy it.
If your thinking about eventually buying a MH , trying out a few models and layouts before taking the plunge is a great idea.
Make sure you are seen taking plenty picks of the mh as Bryan says , before signing.
Bev

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Scotland is huge and the New Forest is small. Depends what you want to do. Scotland is wild camping heaven, especially if you go to the Islands. Our favourite is the Isle of Arran, not to far up north and easy to get to as well as two good campsites at Lochrnanza and Kildonan there are loads of free and perfectly safe and legal wild spots you can stop on. From Loch Lomond and beyond all the way up the west coast to Apple Cross is fantastic. Cant recommend sites though as I dont really use them.

If you go to the New Forest I would plan a venture into Dorest or maybe as far as Devon as you can go around it in a day. The National Motor Museum in Beuilieu (cant spell it) is fantastic or if you venture over to Portsmouth the Historic Dockyard including HMS Victory is very good.

If you troll around here you will find site recommendations as well as wild spots if your interested. www.ukcampsites.co.uk is also a good resource where you can find 5 van farm sites up to large holiday parks (yuk)

Have fun

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back