Advice wanted on non use of MH (1 Viewer)

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Very frustrating summer, I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in July and then went onto fracturing a vertebrae. Undergoing chemotherapy at moment and treatment / pain management for fracture. I'm at home in a hospital bed looking out onto the drive and my pride and joy and wondering how long I can leave it without a run out. I cannot drive it at moment but what are the thoughts of leaving it static and is there anything I can do to prevent problems?

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Oh my goodness, I'm sorry for all your problems. I can't suggest anything re your motorhome, just wanted to say all my thoughts are with you for a good recovery.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Make sure there is no food left inside to attract the mice. Drain your water tank and put in a few pound shop moisture collectors. Others will add more.
PS...Hope you get well soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
firstly your pride and joy has to take 2nd place,you need to concentrate on getting well.it will be fine for a few weeks.can you keep it hooked up,just drain the water system and tanks.dont worry about it,it will be fine.get well soon.
regards and best wishes
brian and jo

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry for your troubles.
I suppose it's no different to laying up the van for winter. I'm only in my first year of motorhome ownership so no doubt somebody way more qualified will add to my advice.

Water, drain down system

Batteries, can you keep it on hook up?

Can someone turn over the engine?

Remove any food and possibly leave out some mice traps.

Throw some old sheets on the seating to protect from sun fading.

Leave a tea towel over the fridge door to keep it open (if switched off)

Lastly don't worry about it, think of all those vans sitting at dealerships for months. They still sell!

Really hope you feel better soon, I've had 3 separate spinal fractures I know how painful they can be, wishing you well.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Really hope you get better soon which is the most important matter. Could you get a co driver and perhaps just go 10 miles from home, so can get home if you need and perhaps just a day trip

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Stay positive - things have a habit of turning out right.

Re the motor home don't worry after the water is drained out and the gas is turned off. Dealer forecourts are full of them that stand like that for months on end with nothing untoward happening. Just go give the engine a run every now and again.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Good luck with the health and don't worry about the van

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Really sorry to hear about your ill health, I am sure if you are laid up for an extended period a funster in the locality would be able to pop round to ensure its winterised before the cold weather starts, hope you have a speedy recovery

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
really no need to worry about MH you have yourself to think about

but if on hook up you really have nothing to do other than turn on the heater when it goes really cold leave everything else, we do

can you not use it on the drive, cup of tea and daytime TV maybe? (y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Very sorry to hear you not well, great advice from the funsters so don't worry too much just save your strength and get well asap.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just concentrate on getting better. Get the MH drained of any water and it will be fine. Worst case it may need a jump start.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
As everyone has said - look after yourself and look forward to getting out in the van as soon as you can - the van will be fine until then. I am always on the lookout for the odd 'spore' that shows up in the Autumn/winter - I usually give all surfaces a wipe over with those antiseptic wet wipe thingies and pull cushions away from sides during winter months. Probably not necessary in MH but can't forget caravan habits!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,
I wish to be associated with the remarks of the many previous speakers, to which I add;
  • Non illegitimae carborundum'
  • Noli illegitimi carborundum
  • Nil illegitimi carborundum
  • Non illegitimis carborundum
  • Illegitimi nil carborundum
  • Nil bastardo carborundum
  • Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
  • Nil carborundum ab illegitimati
  • Illegitimis non carborundum
  • Nil illegitimo in desperandum carborundum
  • Nil carborundum illegitamae
  • Nolite Illegitimos Conterere Vos
  • Non carborundum bastardum
(pick the one you feel most comfy with!!!)

OP
OP
Hillbum

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Thanks for all the good wishes. I go through periods of up and down but trying to stay positive and looking forward to some remission and travelling next year.
All the water systems are drained down and I'm lucky to be able to EHU on the drive. I'll arrange to have a heating system put in the van for the winter, just as I did last year, but I wondered if it was OK to leave the EHU on all the time.
Trying to steel myself to ask my son to take the van out for a drive, I always said he can use it IF he goes on a driving course first, I've driven all sizes of vehicles for many years, even tugging, and he has only stuck to small cars.
Thanks again, feeling positive today. The Funsters forum is a great site for keeping my mind off other things.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
just to add my best wishes, get well soon(y)

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Hi, get well soon. Thoughts are with you.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I’m in a similar position, having just had surgery for a lung tumour and about to commence four months of Chemo’. However I am fortunate in that both my kids drive the MoHo. So it will be driven regularly, to keep things in good working order, until I am also in good working order and well enough to hit the road again myself. And I will be well again, as will you.

Shoulders back. Chin up.

Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Get well soon both if you , I would think its fine on electric hook up , mines getting a small oil filled
dellongi heater on a stat put in during winter , as a dehumidifier will just pull from outside with the ventilation , and my heating is gas only in the van ,

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Really really hope that Hillbum and Fireman Sam have a great recovery.

We are too far away to help but I'm sure any local funsters will private message you and offer help.
What more can I say?
My very best wishes to you both for a speedy recovery.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just noticed this thread and reading all the posts.......can't add anything else about your vans, all the good advice has been given already. But just want to pass on our best wishes to you both (Hillbum and Fireman Sam) and get better soon, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery(y)

Margaret & Bill

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm lucky to be able to EHU on the drive. I'll arrange to have a heating system put in the van for the winter, just as I did last year, but I wondered if it was OK to leave the EHU on all the time.

An oil filled radiator with a frost thermostat is a great idea over the winter. The plan is to leave it on all the time with the stat set on the ice crystal and it won't operate till the temp drops to two degrees C, it will warm the van up and then go back onto standby. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back