Advice wanted from expats living in France. (1 Viewer)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My semi tame professor who is now ensconced in St Genis Poillay, just over the French border from Geneva, has to open a French bank account. Can any of you knowledgeable expats now living in France recommend a French bank that does not charge for an account that is in credit with Euros, and preferably does not charge for Swiss frank transfers into that account.
Also, do French banks charge for a debit and credit card, as long as they are in credit ?.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Credit Agricole has been my bank of choice for 18 years,fair,no charges whilst in credit,easy online checking.
No charge for basic cards.
Sorry don’t know about Swiss transfers.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Credit Agricole has been my bank of choice for 18 years,fair,no charges whilst in credit,easy online checking.

Thanks for that. Credit Agricole was one of the top on our list of banks to visit today.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I have been with Credit Agricole for 14 years and am charged a monthly fee and for our cards . Which area are you in because each one is separate by area .

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I have been with Credit Agricole for 14 years and am charged a monthly fee and for our cards . Which area are you in because each one is separate by area .
Same charges here in area 22

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
He is living in area 01, although working over the border in Switzerland and being paid in Swiss francs.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I'm with CA in Midi-Pyrenees. I pay about €6/month for a current account and my debit card is €39/year. It seems to be the norm here for current accounts to have a monthly charge.
I've recently made a SEPA transfer to the UK and it was just €4.10 which was a pleasant surprise.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I'm with Credit Agricole too. Not our local branch but the Britline one in Normandy. They have fluent English speakers on the phone if help needed.

We pay around €4 a month for our service and about €24 a year for a debit card.

We transfer sterling from UK into the CA account using Currencies Direct who are the best rate we have found. CD son't charge for a transfer and CA don't charge to receive it.

Banks mostly in France are not like our UK ones. They are franchise outfits so popping into a branch anywhere other than your home one does not mean they will be able to access your account. I once tried paying a French cheque into a local CA and it took over a week to appear in our account. Now find it quicker to post any cheques to Normandy.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s

We are in 16,Charente.Not britline just standard account.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The deed is done with CA, 7.9 Emus per month plus 39.90 per year for the debit card. Thanks for all the help.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
As he's a "Frontalier" the common method is by using a Suisse account to receive his salary and then make transfers to his French € account.

I would suggest he visits a BCGE branch in Geneva who are quite experts at this, no one likes paying tax here:)

He's aware he pays taxes in CH though ? I assume he has a Permis G ?

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As he's a "Frontalier" the common method is by using a Suisse account to receive his salary and then make transfers to his French € account.

I would suggest he visits a BCGE branch in Geneva who are quite experts at this, no one likes paying tax here:)

He's aware he pays taxes in CH though ? I assume he has a Permis G ?

Correct, he is a Frontalier. As he is employed by CERN with diplomatic status, he is tax free in Switzerland and his French bank also have confirmed today that he will also be tax free in France.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Likely he's a permit Ci then, either way it's correct that he won't pay tax, in fact he doesn't even declare what his earnings are and the tax authority aren't allowed to ask.

As for the banks the main point is going to be service charges and exchange rate fluctuations. The b-Sharpe reference seems to get some good reviews and is pitched as cost saving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back