Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
We are regular travellers to both France and Spain during the summer months, but this year we have decided to cross the Channel on December 19th 2014 and drive down into Spain.

Normally we never use the toll roads and our favourite route into Spain is: Calais – Rouen – Evreux – Dreux -Chartres – Tours – Poitiers – Angouleme – Mont-de-Marsan – Pau – through the Somport Tunnel to Jaca. We never book anywhere and tend to tour usually taking it day by day

1. Having never driven down to Spain in the winter months we wondered what the roads would be like and the best route to take through France and into Spain ?

2. Where would you recommend for the best weather in Spain ?

All replies will be greatly appreciated !

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You already have the best route... BUT. when you get to Bordeaux check weather for the Somport tunnel as it can change quickly plus they can impliment the carrying of snow chains... If in any doubt go to the border at Irun and down through pamplona....

Have done it many times in late November and also January.. Can be very cold so we drive all the daylight hours and use aires..

Best weather has to be Valencia and south....

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Agree with Tonka but I'd go for the Irun crossing as first choice. :thumb:

South of Valencia is best choice for good weather in December/January. As most of the Funsters already know, once you pass through the tunnels just before Benidorm, the climate changes into a "microclima"!

It can be cold, windy and damp in Valencia city but brilliant sunshine in Benidorm! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
we will be leaving the 28th dec and normally take the route u normally take the roads are ok prolly will be extremly wet but from what i have been told now the route from Bordeaux down is now all toll i know there was a couple when i went last year but now they have put on even more toll booth so i will take the clarmont ferrand way instead this time

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
sorry anywhere south of benidorm for the best weather although benidorm seems to sometimes have its own climate must be the mountains and the tonka towers down there and if u r there for the winter expect to see large groups of funster nut crackers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
the tonka towers down there and if u r there for the winter expect to see large groups of funster nut crackers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

::bigsmile:

I will get a flag or sticker ready to put in the window for when we are in Residence...
A bit like the queen..... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
if they are in ya window i will get binoculars so i can see em on me next trip :ROFLMAO:

Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
Where to stay in Spain

Suggest Cabo de Gata...hot weather seems to be non-stop throughout winter and it is a lot quieter than other spots in S Spain; its a National Park. There are several good campsites here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back