Advice using a weigh bridge (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are packing the MH with everything we are likely to need for a three week holiday and heading for the weighbridge on the A27 near Lancing.
We think it’s about weighing both axles but that’s about it. We’ve seen it as we drive past in the car - it just looks like one concreted area. Does anyone know if there are instructions there as it’s open 24/7 and not always manned.
It would just be our luck if we are over and it’s manned, would they fine us? That’s why we would like to have a first go when it’s unmanned but need a bit of guidance please - anyone?
Thanks

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Drive on - front wheels only ( front axle weight)
Drive fully on (total weight)
Drive off - leaving rear wheels only (rear axle weight)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Drive over it very slowly or you will have to redo it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
The one we use at the docks, you drive up to it, press the button, wait for the light to turn green then proceed slowly over it, not stopping, keeping an eye on the readout. It will show the first figure, front, then the second figure, rear. Once clear of it the total will be displayed.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Its not manned digital screen on building in front does front axle - rear axle - and gross weight

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
The instructions are online under West Sussex public weighbridge.

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks all. Bernie I have looked on the website and read the instructions. It says that if a MH is overweight is both dangerous and illegal, which we all know. If it shows overweight is the number plate recorded there and then do you know? We would nip home which isn’t far and unload some stuff but we would be illegal travelling wouldn’t we?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That particular weighbridge does not have a large platform. Instead it just weighs each axle. Drive up to the traffic lights and press the button. When they turn green drive forward and put your front wheels on the small platform. Look up at the digital display on the outside of the little office and it will show you your axle weight, although it may take a little while to do so. Write is down because you do not usually get a ticket. Drive forward and park your rear wheels on the platform and repeat. Not sure it then showed gross weight for us, but we just added up the axles (2) to get that.

When we were last there there was a person in the office, but he was reading his paperwork so did not even look up at us.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
That particular weighbridge does not have a large platform. Instead it just weighs each axle. Drive up to the traffic lights and press the button. When they turn green drive forward and put your front wheels on the small platform. Look up at the digital display on the outside of the little office and it will show you your axle weight, although it may take a little while to do so. Write is down because you do not usually get a ticket. Drive forward and park your rear wheels on the platform and repeat. Not sure it then showed gross weight for us, but we just added up the axles (2) to get that.

When we were last there there was a person in the office, but he was reading his paperwork so did not even look up at us.
Yes needs pen and paper but gives all 3 weights

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have used this one several times over the years. As has been said drive up, push the button and when light goes green drive over the plate. (I don't stop on the plate myself, just drive slowly over). The two figures come up individually and then it adds them together for the Gross Weight. Not seen any cameras there. One van we had we went through 3 or 4 times moving kit around inside to get the axle weights right.

Deleted User
It is important not to stop on a dynamic axle weigh bridge, drive over at a slow walking speed as per the instructions.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We use the Lancing one regularly, only a couple of miles from home, it's unmanned you can use it 24/7.
It is a dynamic weighbridge, as it is designed for big trucks you need to drive up to the post with the buttons on it. Press the Go button, then reverse back and postion yourself centrally. When the light goes green drive slowly over the narrow plate keep going untill both axles have cleared the plate, it will display individual axle weights and the gross. I recommend you do it at lest 3 times as the speed you drive over and how you are positioned can affect the result I've seen it vary by as much as 50kg.

For Info: Tolerance on a Dynamic weighbridge is +/-150kg per axle, so providing you are 150kg under on each axle you should be legal.:rofl::rofl::rofl: We are, about 300kg to spare on the front axle and 500kg on the rear, I'm feeling smug.:D

In realality, it tends to be fairly accurate.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We use the Lancing one regularly, only a couple of miles from home, it's unmanned you can use it 24/7.
It is a dynamic weighbridge, as it is designed for big trucks you need to drive up to the post with the buttons on it. Press the Go button, then reverse back and postion yourself centrally. When the light goes green drive slowly over the narrow plate keep going untill both axles have cleared the plate, it will display individual axle weights and the gross. I recommend you do it at lest 3 times as the speed you drive over and how you are positioned can affect the result I've seen it vary by as much as 50kg.

For Info: Tolerance on a Dynamic weighbridge is +/-150kg per axle, so providing you are 150kg under on each axle you should be legal.:rofl::rofl::rofl: We are, about 300kg to spare on the front axle and 500kg on the rear, I'm feeling smug.:D

In realality, it tends to be fairly accurate.

So that tolerance is pretty pointless for a 3.5t-4.5t MH isn't it.

Maybe that is why DVSA do not 'pull' MHs very often for weighing.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Geoff
Yes ,probably. Also up to 5% isn't even considered as an offence. so that's 175kgs on a 3,5T

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Geoff
But not much when weighing a 44 tonner which is what they are designed for, they are calibated at 17-18 tonne. In realality, they are fairly accurate I expect the tolerance goes back to the days before modern electronic equipment.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I use the one at the local Farm. They have a grain dryer and silo`s. And take anything from Tractor trailers to Bulk LGV`s. I Just go down, wait if there is any commercial traffic, then Mathew runs the bridge and gives me the 3 Weights. And then I spend an hour or so in the office drinking tea! and getting the local gossip!.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks all. Bernie I have looked on the website and read the instructions. It says that if a MH is overweight is both dangerous and illegal, which we all know. If it shows overweight is the number plate recorded there and then do you know? We would nip home which isn’t far and unload some stuff but we would be illegal travelling wouldn’t we?
That type of weigh station wouldn't normally have the ability to know whether or not your axles or total weight are over. All it does is weigh them for you and display the figures, then it's over to you to compare the results to your vehicle's official figures.

If you're slightly over on either axle, try rearranging part of your load to get the weights correct. If you're slightly over on your total, personally it wouldn't stop me driving the short distance home, but that would be your call.

If you're well over, it might be safer ringing someone with a car, or taking your own car along, to offload some stuff for the run home.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Well its good to know there are some free/cheap weigh bridges around, the one we used outside the dealership near Taunton was £10 for gross and £10 per axle so £30 overall with certificate. I think the nearest one to me is at Guildford, Surrey run by the council for weighing refuse vehicles and charging for disposal.
Dont want to use it as I would probably end up with half a dozen rusty nails in my tyres by the time I get home.:eek:
Les

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks everyone for your advice. We went to the weighbridge very fully laden.
There are 2 plates under the bonnet of our Peugeot Boxer. We’re pretyy sure what they are but a bit confused. I want to put the photos on this thread in the hope you can tell us about them. Never put photos on before so a bit of guidance needed please - thanks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks everyone for your advice. We went to the weighbridge very fully laden.
There are 2 plates under the bonnet of our Peugeot Boxer. We’re pret(y) sure what they are but a bit confused. I want to put the photos on this thread in the hope you can tell us about them. Never put photos on before so a bit of guidance needed please - thanks.
The last plate fitted overrides previous plates. i.e. If you have Peugeot plate & a converters plate the converters one is the one to go by or if you have a Peugeot plate, an Al-Ko plate & a coverters plate again it is the converters plate to go by.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never put photos on before so a bit of guidance needed please -
Take the photos then save them to your pc, phone or tablet...whatever you use. Pick somewhere easy to find them.
Open a new reply to this thread then click 'upload a file' at the bottom of the reply box.
Select the photos from wherever you saved it.
Once it's loaded 100% click 'show image full size'

Then click 'post reply'

Job done.

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Sounds easy thanks. I’ll do it tomorrow after I finish work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back