Advice to prevent water leak from toilet air vent (1 Viewer)

Jason Scott

Free Member
Apr 2, 2018
Funster No
Hi all,

We noticed in heavy rain we get a leak in our toilet from the air vent in the roof. This part of the conversion seems a bit sloppy. I was thinking of adding some more sealant. Does anyone have other suggestions?

IMG_20180409_163427.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
that looks like a real bodge .. no wonder it is leaking..

I'd have it off, clean off all the old mastic and glue, make a adapter plate to fit the roof profile .. could be shaped from hard rubber, PVC .. or even a hard wood or marine plywood

Would then use Sikaflex to glue the profile shaped plate to the roof, then fit the vent on top with non-setting mastic.. such as Carafax IDL 99

Alternatively.. have it off, make a plate and bank it off

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Not the best design location ! I think you need to remove and start again , that way you might find out where the leak actually is , and execute the refit better , or come up with better solution using different unit :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jason Scott

Jason Scott

Free Member
Apr 2, 2018
Funster No
Thanks. I think we'll take it back to Marlin for 'snagging issue' fixes and mention what you've suggested.

I think they were stuck for placement options with the solar panel being so close.

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Being so low down, i assume the heavy rain will splash up and get into the vents that lets the air in ,looks like it could need raising slightly may solve the problem. Strange place to put it crossing two levels ,looks like a bit of a bodge.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jason Scott

Jason Scott

Free Member
Apr 2, 2018
Funster No
Btw the rest of the conversion is fantastic and we're really pleased. Hopefully they'll help us fix it and that will be that.

Upvote 0

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I have a van conversion getting on in age now. I was convinced the skylight leaked after numerous times trying to fix it. I realised it was a Sean in the van roof was letting water down and it's exit was the toilet skylight. So make sure you take a good look.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Btw the rest of the conversion is fantastic and we're really pleased. Hopefully they'll help us fix it and that will be that.

Your right, it's good to let someone put things right before complaining, I'm sure with the constructive thoughts you can put to him it will be sorted. Good luck with it.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The "slit" opening in the vent looks as if it would easily be inundated by any driving rain or wind blown standing water on the roof, doesn't look up to the job tbh.
What is the miniature solar panel on top of the vent for ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jason Scott

Jason Scott

Free Member
Apr 2, 2018
Funster No
The "slit" opening in the vent looks as if it would easily be inundated by any driving rain or wind blown standing water on the roof, doesn't look up to the job tbh.
What is the miniature solar panel on top of the vent for ?

My suspicions too. I believe it drives a small fan to extract fumes but only whilst the light is switched on. I will query that as I want to know everything about how our conversion works so that I'm able to work on it myself in the years to come.

The wife just told me (or reminded me, it's possible I didn't listen :D) that the company said we can bring it back anytime in the first 12 months to get things like this fixed. I'm fretting over nothing!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back