advice starting motorhome shop (1 Viewer)

ellie66

Free Member
Jun 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
looking for one
im thinking of starting a shop selling motorhomes so if anyone has any advice or blogs on starting and running a business.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Hi
what we want is for dealers to be honest, and give a something that looks like good service.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
If you have never been involved in the Motorhome business or any other businesses there is a huge amount of homework that you need to do.

Not least where the capital to buy a stock of motorhomes is going to come from.
Good luck, hope you get where you want to go with it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
You say "motorhome shop", do you mean a shop selling motorhome accesories or more of a dealership selling complete motorhomes. Will you sell new or used vans. Are you going to concentrate on the smaller VW camper style vans?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think a bit of background information would be useful.
Do you have any experience of the trade, are you already in business, do you have a source for used motorhomes or do you plan to just buy from auctions. Experience of repairs and preparing for market would probably be essential ?
What geographic area are you in.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
im thinking of starting a shop selling motorhomes so if anyone has any advice or blogs on starting and running a business.

Hello.

First bit of advice, motorhomes are not sold through 'shops', but though 'dealers' who normally have a dealership from one or more motorhome manufacturer(s). This takes time to set up and one is unlikely to get appointed as a dealer with no track record in the business, if not having sold as a salesman employed by an established dealer.

There are dealers who sell only secondhand motorhomes, but they are at the bottom end of the market. Do you like swimming with sharks?

Maybe you meant a shop selling motorhome accessories? Most are attached to dealers but there are some that sell accessories but also to the caravan and outdoor leisure market in general.

Let us know what you really mean.

Also your background in business and sales.

OP
OP
E

ellie66

Free Member
Jun 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
looking for one
This can not be a real person/question, can it?

Speak with you bank business manager
Ask your local business enterprise

Best of luck if it is for real.
i have done both of those things i just felt it was best to discuss with my key demographic if they had any information someone who doesn't know anything about motorhomes would miss

OP
OP
E

ellie66

Free Member
Jun 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
looking for one
Hello.

First bit of advice, motorhomes are not sold through 'shops', but though 'dealers' who normally have a dealership from one or more motorhome manufacturer(s). This takes time to set up and one is unlikely to get appointed as a dealer with no track record in the business, if not having sold as a salesman employed by an established dealer.

There are dealers who sell only secondhand motorhomes, but they are at the bottom end of the market. Do you like swimming with sharks?

Maybe you meant a shop selling motorhome accessories? Most are attached to dealers but there are some that sell accessories but also to the caravan and outdoor leisure market in general.

Let us know what you really mean.

Also your background in business and sales.
it will have some new motorhomes but mainly accessories and if it does well i will expand to more motorhomes and maybe second-hand depending on if my customers would be interested in that

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Its an ambitious project. Not many start from scratch these days. Saying that though there is not much competition in West Yorkshire is there so the potential is huge.

Like others have said it very difficult to get second hand motorhomes as everyone is desperate for them. Unless you have millions to invest you are going to have to grow it organically.

Leeds is probably the best bet as there is nothing out that way. The only decent size place I can think of is Lowdhams in Huddersfield.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The first thing you need to do if you want the opinions of members of this forum is to join. You are restricted to 5 posts which you have already used.

Jun 13, 2021
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120 low-line
Exp
Autumn 2020
Also in West Yorks, would try and support a local business for spares etc but you are up against traders on Amazon/Ebay so I think you would struggle on price against these giants

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
it will have some new motorhomes but mainly accessories and if it does well i will expand to more motorhomes and maybe second-hand depending on if my customers would be interested in that
Is it easy to get a franchise to sell new vans when you are new to the industry? Will you also be offering workshop & warranty services if doing so?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Good luck. It was a good idea to ask here as this is the biggest collection of motorhome expertise in the world.

You need to pay your fees and all this info will be at your fingertips..

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You say you're going to sell new have you negiciated terms with a manufacturer?. Are you talking motorhomes or campervans or both?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
One major consideration……

I, and I would guess most members on here, would not consider buying a new motorhome from any dealer who did not have a good back-up workshop for warranty repairs.

As you admit that you know little about motorhomes have you considered…

A. Suitable premises for sales and repairs.

B. Where you will find workshop personnel with experience.

iceburnmarko

Free Member
Jun 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just-looking
Hello everyone, first a little hi-jack of the post. I saw within the conversation something about he used his 5 post limit and need to join? I join recently to help group when saw advise of signing Tesco mobile for EU roaming but that advise is now bad from 16th June (and to forewarn ppl when contract expires don't do a pointless upgrade like my friend wife just did with three!). Also I am thinking once all of post office scandal crap is behind me (one of 555) I am really thinking of getting motorhome and kit out to just unwind from whole crap life for last 20 years ... So if I need to join something can someone please send me a link,thanks.

To the original poster, firstly understand why you join forum for your business market research. But at the same time (obviously do not know your whole history like have you run other businesses before.) I will assume u think by some news articles , TV programmes etc. Think motorhome might be a good idea.

I honestly think now for you be bad time to do it for following reasons

1. You know nothing about motorhomes which is important factor
2. As some above pointed out huge barriers to get into it
3. With living crisis we going into and recession coming round the corner, I think many here will agree many will think twice before spending £££ on motorhomes and than running costs.
4. What your USP, is I myself got idea for "add-on" to existing business and friend who motorhome geek, will help integrate said add-on to motorhome. That important cause see point 1.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
... So if I need to join something can someone please send me a link,thanks.

Click on your avatar.

Select Subscription from the options.
Currently £20 per year.

You will then have unlimited posts, be able to Private Message other members and have access to all the excellent Resources.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
After over 58 years self employed my answer to ellie66 is very simple.
If you need to ask that question on a forum don't go into business. I assume you have carried out much research as to finance, premises, future business plan with costings etc etc. If all your searches are positive then go for it.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Also I am thinking once all of post office scandal crap is behind me (one of 555)
I hope things work out for you (all)

It really was a scandal how you were all treated and the massive impact it had on you all, your families and friends. I can't even begin to imagine what you all went through and no amount of financial compensation will ever be enough.

Best wishes for the future.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I was cogitating the other day about whether a pre-loved motorhome accessories business would be a viable proposition. May have thought a bit more seriously about it had I been younger and husband had been healthier. Opinions?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I can think of better ways of making money with a new business…..motor homes would be on my “ steer well clear of” list.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I was cogitating the other about whether a pre-loved motorhome accessories business would be a viable proposition. May have thought a bit more seriously about it had I been younger and husband had been healthier. Opinions?
I think the ideal way to do that would be on the internet. Whether it would work or not is a difficult question there are probably several people who might like to dispose of accessories they bought and never needed easily but whether there would be enough margin to make a profit after allowing for difficult to shift stock would be a different matter as the resale price would have to be a fair bit lower than new to attract customers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back