advice starting motorhome shop (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I was cogitating the other day about whether a pre-loved motorhome accessories business would be a viable proposition. May have thought a bit more seriously about it had I been younger and husband had been healthier. Opinions?
We had seriously thought about a motorhome tours of wine regions business. We both have a qualification in wine and have found that there are a lot of wine related tourism opportunities in Europe that aren't that easy to find. We met a couple who had run one and were retiring bought a domain name etc but in the end decided it would involve potentially a lot of hassle and having worked with the public for 40 years decided on keeping wine as a hobby.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I presume some sort of business could be started by buying motorhomes from auction do everything that needed doing to put them right and sell on.
BUT, this would be only possible if you knew everything there is to know about them which the op obviously doesn't or they wouldn't be asking on here.
AND, with all the posts we see on here and other places about warranty and safety and finding the 100s of grand to set up, it's just pie in the sky.
How many established dealers that are going out of business just puts the top hat on it.
One of the quickest roads of losing a million I'd say.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I presume some sort of business could be started by buying motorhomes from auction do everything that needed doing to put them right and sell on.
BUT, this would be only possible if you knew everything there is to know about them which the op obviously doesn't or they wouldn't be asking on here.
AND, with all the posts we see on here and other places about warranty and safety and finding the 100s of grand to set up, it's just pie in the sky.
How many established dealers that are going out of business just puts the top hat on it.
One of the quickest roads of losing a million I'd say.
I suspect that the way to start is buying and selling without premises and staff first then find your way into the business. But I don't think there are any ways to make a lot of money easily. With a lot of businesses the answer to how to make a million out of them is to start with two million and lose the rest!

iceburnmarko

Free Member
Jun 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just-looking
I hope things work out for you (all)

It really was a scandal how you were all treated and the massive impact it had on you all, your families and friends. I can't even begin to imagine what you all went through and no amount of financial compensation will ever be enough.

Best wishes for the future.
Thank you, for your wishes on all (and more) 3k effected and indirectly many vulnerable customers who lost their offices cause of it :( in my case was a bit different cause I found fault back in 2006 and instead of fixing it, terminate my contract to name just one of many things.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Is this someone having a bit of a joke, it seems so far fetched a question, the capital required, the knowledge, experience, contacts, business plan you could go on forever.
Asking if anyone has advice on starting and running a business?
Just not a genuine prospect or question for me

iceburnmarko

Free Member
Jun 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just-looking
Click on your avatar.

Select Subscription from the options.
Currently £20 per year.

You will then have unlimited posts, be able to Private Message other members and have access to all the excellent Resources.
Thanks with your help found section will sort it out in next day or so.

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Research, research and more research. Then business plan which would be presented to potential investors (they won't be interested unless you can show you have experience in this area) unless you are financing it yourself which is a huge risk - how would you pay for your stock? You would need collateral for any loans. Huge barriers to entry e.g cost of stock, premises, staff etc. Also consider that it would take over your life and you'd never have any downtime. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that this isn't a business that you can just set up on a whim - you need serious money behind you.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
If you want anyone to take you seriously you will need to become a full member and pay a £20 joining fee . Until this has happened you are unlikely to be taken seriously. Opening a business such as this would require huge capital investment so a £20 fee is insignificant.
If this was something you were committed to doing I am surprised you haven’t revisited this site to read the responses .

Last edited:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
At the moment Motorhomes are selling well, as are houses on top of the bubble, bubbles always burst:rolleyes:

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I was cogitating the other day about whether a pre-loved motorhome accessories business would be a viable proposition. May have thought a bit more seriously about it had I been younger and husband had been healthier. Opinions?
It can be done, but only really on-line.

I met a guy who did this, operated from a chalet at the end of his garden.
His neighbour conveniently had a campsite next door, so he had a certain amount of 'walk in' business.

He had a few items, notably bike covers and pumps, which he had sourced, bought in bulk, and therefore had the best deal on the web. This seemed to be the way he operated, but it was not a full time job for him, and the cost of setting up the website came with a comma after the second number (plus the cost of his chalet!)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
It does seem a bit strange to ask the question then not come back to it.
Reading about the hassles people have with buying motorhomes-things not fixed properly and breakages it’s not something for the feint hearted!

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I spent 25 years as a small business adviser and I saw OP's original post and my first reaction was "no way". My second reaction was "no way" and my third reation was - you guessed it! No experience, no premises, no business plan and probably no money and no lender is ever going to lend 100% of the finance needed, unlikely to lend 50% at the most. I wish OP well, but my business advice would be to go and get a job if possible in the motorhome business and gain some experience and learn how unbelievably difficult it is to run a small busness, how lonely it is and how you have no private life at all until, and unless, the business becomes "successful". I think I would advise buying lottery tickets as an easier way of making losing money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back