Advice Required Please: Manhattan 12v Freesat Recorder. (1 Viewer)

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Hi there,

We've currently got a Sky plus digi box installed in our motorhome but we are thinking of cancelling our Sky Plus subscription and buying a Manhattan HDR-S Twin 12v / 240v Freesat Recorder with 320gb Hard Drive. Broken Link Removed I wondered if anyone else has one of these recorders in their motorhome and if so, what is your opinion of it?

The main reason we want to change our current set up (apart from saving money on a Sky plus subscription) is because the Sky plus digi box currently installed in our vehicle is only 240v and when we are not on electric hook up, it really pulls on the leisure batteries when the inverter it's having to be powered through is switched on. We have an Oyster twin LNB dish and so we like to enjoy the dual record/live pause features that a Sky plus set up gives us and apparently, this Manhattan Freesat Recorder enjoys the same kind of functions. However, we cannot find out very much about it as it's only a relatively new product on the market and consequently there are very few reviews to read about its performance and reliability either. If anyone else has one of them or knows anything about the Manhattan 12v/240v Freesat recorder, then we'd love to hear your opinions of it .

Thank you. :Smile:

Sue

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Regarding power drain.. I doubt if the Manhattan will be much of an improvement, it's specs state 2.8amps on 12v so thats still quite a sizeable consumption. Not sure how that compares with a sky plus box but will check that out later.
I have had a Humax HD recorder for years, does everything I want but not used a Manhattan.
Check the channel lineup carefully to see what you get between Freesat and current Sky channels as you will be loosing not only movies and sport but things like Sky one etc....

If you dont need all the hard drive / recorder facility then consider a 12v Fressat box... The Manhattan HD freesat runs at 2 amps.

Note... Sky plus HD may be 36 watts so thats 3 amps at 12v, plus add maybe 10% for inverter loss so around 3.3amps..
That's my take on it anyway...

Last edited:

Hobbytwo

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby750
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Sue,

We've had a Manhattan in our MH for a couple of years now having originally used a Freesat for some considerable time. I changed the LNB to a double outlet, which can be purchased cheaply, run a second cable alongside the original, cut off the 240v transformer and connected the power lead to a 12v socket.

Works absolutely fine, and as for power consumption the difference in demand between the Freesat and the Manhattan I have found to be negligible. One thing I have found is that searching for a signal is much more critical than with the Freesat, and was frustrating at first, but now I've mastered it the system is brilliant, particularly the ability to record programmes whilst watching another.
Willing to offer more advice if you want it but am just about to plunge into wildcamping in the Highlands and Islands so wifi may be patchy.

Regards. Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I was going to buy one BUT I only haver one lead so I will get the single input version, the Manhatton hard disc one is £199 on special at Road Pro & £124 on Amazon:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back