Advice regarding 12v /and 240v charging (1 Viewer)

Ritchiev1

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit mk6
Exp
Hi
I'm currently in the process of converting a transit van into a camper van and am a little unsure of the following set up and if it could over charge the battery. The set up is as follows: I have a split charger inline from my van starter battery to my leisure battery, i also have a small solar panel charging the same leisure battery and when i'm on a site that has a 240v electric hook up i have a Powerpart pb10 transformer, just like this one

Could i use all 3 charging items safely together to charge the leisure battery or would i be better off installing some Universal Battery Isolator Switches to switch off split charger and solar panel when i'm hooked up to a 240v where the power part transformer would charge the battery?
Any advice would be great.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's usual to leave all charging sources connected. The one producing the highest charge voltage at any given time will do the work and the others will behave as if the battery is charged.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! As stated above, normally everything continues to work connected. I assume you have some sort of controller for the solar panel. You didn't mention one but just in case you haven't bought one yet an MPPT type is the best sort, though they are more expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:pink:
As Tony says the charger with the highest output will do the work.
The charger you are looking at is not suitable it's a power supply that says capable of trickle charging, using that your batteries will never get a full charge and their life will be shortened considerately. You need a proper multi stage charger.

OP
OP
Ritchiev1

Ritchiev1

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit mk6
Exp
It's usual to leave all charging sources connected. The one producing the highest charge voltage at any given time will do the work and the others will behave as if the battery is charged.
Thanks Tony :)

OP
OP
Ritchiev1

Ritchiev1

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit mk6
Exp
Welcome! As stated above, normally everything continues to work connected. I assume you have some sort of controller for the solar panel. You didn't mention one but just in case you haven't bought one yet an MPPT type is the best sort, though they are more expensive.
Hi DBK
I have a controller which came with the panel so that should be fine. Thanks for the reply and advice

OP
OP
Ritchiev1

Ritchiev1

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit mk6
Exp
:pink:
As Tony says the charger with the highest output will do the work.
The charger you are looking at is not suitable it's a power supply that says capable of trickle charging, using that your batteries will never get a full charge and their life will be shortened considerately. You need a proper multi stage charger.
Hi Lenny
Ah i never read that part regarding the charging. So could i possibly use the power supply to power my 12v items when hooked up to a 204v point? Coolbox, lights, tv? water pump? the 12v set up side is new to me as my previous van was only 240v but with this van i wanted to install 12v and 240v

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Best to do it properly to start with otherwise it will cost you more later even more if you have to replace the batteries after a year or two.
A decent charger unit will allow you to run all the 12v electrics when on 240v.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you pick a decent charger it becomes a PSU for the van when on EHU. So you can use any 12v device you want without affecting the battery which will be charged as well. It's all simpler than you think: pick a charger with a decent output (15A or more) and with smart charging capabilities (to take care of the battery as per Lenny HB). Connect everything as suggested above then when you use the van (a) on EHU you can use everything you want without any concern for the state of the battery (b) when off hook-up you only need to consider how long you can last before the battery drops too far. And that will depend, amongst other things, on how many batteries and how much solar. Maintenance of the set-up is simply checking battery electrolyte levels a couple of times a year (if using batteries that need topping up).

OP
OP
Ritchiev1

Ritchiev1

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit mk6
Exp
Cheers everyone really appreciate all you advice and help :)
Would something like this be ok?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun