Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
When we first got our current van with a fixed bed I went out and bought new duvets, pillows, sheets etc. And I do remember thinking for a while 'is it wrong that I've got nicer stuff in my van than in my house?'

Good for you (y) I think it's absolutely right. I have my best glasses on the boat (don't half get through 'em though...)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I'm just amazed at the number of folk who cook while on holiday!

When your retired and out in the van almost as much as your home.. Does it still count as holiday ???
I think a good many of use eat out as much as cooking at the van.. half of Weatherspoon's profits must come from Funsters.. :rofl::rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Cheap set of non stick ones that we found in the first van we had changed them for posher ones no good old set back in just rinse and wipe with k roll small and large teflon frying pans and a old pan for bbq
which nothing sticks to.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We bought a set of stackers from Lakeland with the universal lid sits in the drawers a treat!

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
we eventually tracked down the Tefal stacking set with clip on handle in a shop in france

These are them..
Amazon product ASIN B003E6S7LQ
These are very good and also come with lids for cooking and also plastic lids for in fridge or freezer.
We have the ones that can also be used on an induction hob - use them in the house and very impressed - came from John Lewis
Ingenio I think they are called

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I prefer to eat food without a polytetrafluoroethylene garnish so non-stick pans are absolutely forbidden in our van.
My 20 year old Prestige stainless steel pans are still going strong and it's easy to avoid burning food - just pay attention :whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had Tefal Ingenio pans for years - we got them from France when there was an offer on and they are still going strong. We got 3 saucepans, a medium frying pan and a larger one which is quite deep so can be used for more than just frying stuff in; we also got some plastic lids so can store stuff in them too. As they only came with one clip on handle we bought a second to save having to swap around, useful when we have to move them around due to only having 2 rings on the hob. We've also got a mini frying pan too as we can't use both of the larger sized frying pans at the same time as the hob's not big enough, so the little one comes into play then - but it's a very, very old Prestige one - must be 70s or something - got it 'brand new' from a car boot sale and just took the handle off and use the Tefal one instead.

I did buy some new pans last year which are very similar to the Tefal ones but probably won't need them now as the Tefal ones show no signs of wearing out any time soon.

I got lids from car boot sales and/or from existing pans as they aren't that cheap to buy, and also a couple of the ones you get in French supermarkets with little holes in to let the steam out but keep the fat in (not the mesh ones).

The ONLY complaint I have about the Tefal ones is that the handle itself is heavish which isn't a problem normally but when it's on the small saucepan if the contents are light it can tip over so you have to be careful with it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm just amazed at the number of folk who cook while on holiday!

I'm amazed that the number of people who don't.. even more amazed that they prefer it. I enjoy cooking.. I hate restaurants.. fast or otherwise..

Cooking is part of camping.. part of our holiday.. the pleasure of buying fresh produce, preparing and cooking, cannot be compared to eating out..

IMO.. it's what motorhomes are made for.. and what camping is all about..

forgot about the OP

saucepans.. good quality and lightweight.. cast iron is great but far too heavy for the van..

non stick is preferable.. plenty to choose from.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We travel with a set of three fairly heavy nesting pans with glass lids plus one with detachable handles and a lid which mirrors the base and the two can be fitted together to roast jacket potatoes in, or separated to work as a frying pan. God knows what it's called but we picked it up years ago when the northern motorhome show was still held at York racecourse. Works well for us and the weight of the nesting pans is not a problem. I think they have some fancy chef's name on them. But whenever I can. I cook outside on the Cadac.

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Wow! Thank you all. Lots of choice then. Off to Sainsburys, Lidl, Aldi, B&M next week to see what's about. Don't know why I said non Stick. We don't use non stick saucepans, just one frying pan.

As for cooking in the MH that's part of the fun, especially when diet restrictions and allergies make eating out very restrictive!

Talking of food, the new services on the M5 at Gloucester are fantastic. They have a 'family' toilet for the disabled, the most superb farm shop and the meat from the butcher is wonderful. Get your saucepans out folks!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Three ordinary pans, large, med, small with glass lids and normal handles, they are the set from the house. I had a set of three pans bought for the MH, used them for several years but got fed up with the handles! Dug out the house ones from storage-much better.
I wouldn't use non-stick saucepans but have non-stick wok & fry pan!

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
I love to do both, eat in, eat out. Like a nice lunch somewhere if out all day, love to shop for food at the markets/ supermarkets or in local shops. Only dine out in evening occasionally ...usually when travelling.
Makes a lovely evening to sit out around the motorhome and concoct something nice on the cobb, enjoy the specialities of wherever you are. Don't use gas hob much, pan wise we have a non stick saute pan with lid, doubles up as a frying pan, 1 small and 1 very small saucepan. Just an electric Kettle that keeps water hot for a while. If off hook up I can boil water in the pan for a brew. Steam bags for microwave and a cooking gadget of some type so I can use electric on hook up,

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
For us its a Tesco Stainless Steel steamer set I think they cost about ten quid, a couple of non stick frying pans with lids one Pyrex dish again with a lid for the odd casserole in the winter or a Cock au vin and a couple of oven pans.

Jan 29, 2015
shropshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2014
image.jpg
We have the tefal ingenio, the set includes two saucepans, two frying pans and a detachable handle. We bought the lids separately. They're not cheap but well worth it.
We cook a lot when we go away then every now and then go for a really posh meal which makes it a special treat. Recently returned from France and in 2 1/2 weeks probably ate out about 5 times as the quality of their butchers and fishmongers are so good it makes home cooking a delight.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I use stainless steel with copper bottom pans and le Cruset cast iron. The le Cruset ones can get a bit heavy when full though

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Re cook/don't cook. A lot of people have said over the years while we have owned c/vans-m/homes. "Us have one of those? Never, it's not a holiday if you have to cook and wash up........ "
They don't know what they are missing.
Tea Bag

muddywellies

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Varies in Europe
Funster No
MH
Ready to buy under 6m.
Exp
A MH virgin - but not for long!! ;-)
Bog standard. Non-stick WITH a GLASS LID that helps keep the fug off your glazing. A small and medium pan size.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We do tonnes of cooking in our van.....
Well I say we, what I mean is I do a lot of cooking, and wife and daughter eat it! :D
My personal opinion is that you (ironically) should buy the cheaper stuff. Simply because it is lower quality, it will be lighter to transport.
Our cheap Argos kit is still in regular service, and still has all of its non-stick qualities, even though it takes a lot of abuse. I do like the look of these stackable saucepans though, maybe when ours are up for replacement, that's what we'll go for! :D

Montybe

Free Member
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset UK
Funster No
MH
Lowline Mototrek
Exp
40 years on and off
An induction hob is an essential part of cooking facilities, and that means compatible pans. Why use your gas when paying for electricity on site.. So I bought a set of Grunwerg Versa Stainless with detachable handle. I don't in principle like cooking with plastic utensils, and the newer ceramic coatings do not last. These Versa pans retail at 300 quid (phew) but you can get them online for £50 (Amazon/Ebay). Use them on the hob, on gas, the BBQ, in the oven, and they stack neatly with no handles to stick out in the way. Oh, I also have a Le Crueset frying pan and that works well on all sorts of cookers.

Broken Link Removed

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I still have a set of these (bought for caravanning years ago)
$_57[1].jpg
and a small non-stick saucepan for anything likely to catch

The pan set is exactly the right size to sit inside my frying pan in the cupboard so takes up very little room

Works for me (y)

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
(y) Another vote for the steamer, ours is similiar to Tesco@£10 very lightweight and a nonstick frypan, although we do have a microwave :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We travel with a set of three fairly heavy nesting pans with glass lids plus one with detachable handles and a lid which mirrors the base and the two can be fitted together to roast jacket potatoes in, or separated to work as a frying pan. God knows what it's called but we picked it up years ago when the northern motorhome show was still held at York racecourse. Works well for us and the weight of the nesting pans is not a problem. I think they have some fancy chef's name on them. But whenever I can. I cook outside on the Cadac.
You've got a 'Double Skillet' unfortunately they aren't sold 'new' now but can sometimes be picked up second hand ... hang on to yours it could be valuable in the future!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
An induction hob is an essential part of cooking facilities, and that means compatible pans. Why use your gas when paying for electricity on site.. So I bought a set of Grunwerg Versa Stainless with detachable handle. I don't in principle like cooking with plastic utensils, and the newer ceramic coatings do not last. These Versa pans retail at 300 quid (phew) but you can get them online for £50 (Amazon/Ebay). Use them on the hob, on gas, the BBQ, in the oven, and they stack neatly with no handles to stick out in the way. Oh, I also have a Le Crueset frying pan and that works well on all sorts of cookers.

Broken Link Removed

Some Grunwerg pan sets on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grunwerg-...hash=item5668ea3103:m:myBGtK1fpWJ6mz-Apl9YHqw

Will Duckworth

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Dudley, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1985
My 3 tier steamer with side handles and a bain marie is invaluable. With 2 rings it is the best way to cook fish, veg, rice, gravy etc. Perfect for wild camping as it uses so little water and gas. An oven or remosca for roasting and baking and an extra non stick pan for sauces as well as a good non stick frying pan should see you through (with a kettle and optional wok). That has seen me through years of cooking real meals from scratch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back