Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

This isn't me asking for advice rather than giving it having spent the last couple of months, wandering down from Braganca.

We have discovered, the further south we have travelled, that the commerce in Portugal has an ever increasing reluctance to accept Credit or Debit Cards from Mastercard or Visa. Some of them won't even accept cards with the 'Multibanco' symbol on them.

At the same time, they will accept a Bank card issued by the Portuguese banking system.

I noticed when visiting the Manta Rota Camperstop/Aire that the Auto machine did not accept 'foreign' cards and as a result campers were using notes.

I publish this, not in a critical way but purely for the benefit of those wishing to use cards when on holiday. It didn't apply universally but I would hate for a Funster to be caught out.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have only found one restaurant (which is in Central Portugal) which didn't accept my Revolut (MasterCard) card. It didn't accept any MasterCard cards at all, no matter where they were issued.

At all other petrol stations, supermarkets, cash machines, restaurants and Burger Ranches it has been accepted it with no problems at all.

JJ :cool:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We are in Central Portugal at the moment and have no problems with our Nationwide debit and credit cards. This was also the case in the Algarve last winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We drove from Malaga to Silves yesterday for our first sojourn in the new van.
On stopping at the peage at the border ( Huelves/Algarve) the machine registered my reg number, but wouldn't accept my Spanish debit card, which is a € card. Had to use my uk debit card, which it accepted.
Only reason I can think of is maybe it wouldn't take a Spanish card for a uk reg vehicle???

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
In Albufeira yesterday I used my Visa card in Lidl,Aldi,continenta, and Iceland. Saga visa don't charge for using abroad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
My OP wasn't "All the places" it was 'Some of the places'
It was posted with the intention to inform.
To say, "I used it at....".is of no use whatsoever unless the person reading it is going to that exact place. The place next door (and for 15 doors down) may turn you down and then, you'll be the one with egg all over your face and not like it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back