ADVICE RE PAYG MIFI AND DATA ONLY SIM CARDS (1 Viewer)

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Hi we are soon to set off on our travels around Spain for 3 months. We have our own business so we need to have reliable internet access as we need to respond to and send emails plus secure access to online banking etc.
Can anyone please recommend a Mifi with a Pay As You Go Data Only SIM card for using in Europe whilst we are away? We have our iPhones which enjoy unlimited data whilst in the UK but sadly the data allowance with our contract is limited whilst In Europe. Unfortunately our contract SIM card in our iPhones do not work in our HUAWEI Mifi.
I know some UK services such as BBC iPlayer are not available to use via our iPads or iPhones whilst away in Europe so If anyone can suggest a solution for us we would love to hear about it?
Thank you.
Sue x

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We had slow service in Benidorm using our 3 SIM but local advice said "go to English guy in market". We did. He supplied a local SIM that "flew".

So we did the same in Portugal.

And we did the same in Morocco.

Buy local may be a good plan.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Make sure your mifi is open for roaming.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
I got an unlimited data sim and Mifi from "Three" that is open to roaming (you can use it abroad) my advice would be go to a phone shop and tell them your needs, but the best deal I could find was with Three.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If I was worried about my business, I'd probably buy a cheap backup SIM from another provider... and make sure you activate it before you go!

If you buy a MiFi (or phone) from a provider like Three, it might be Locked to their network, so you won't be able to use other people's SIMs. Note that this is different from Roaming, which is where you use your home provider's SIM on a foreign network.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If your business sim does not work in your MiFI then the MiFi is possibly locked to one provider. It should be possible to unlock it but you would probably need to contact whichever company provided it. Alternatively, your work sim does not allow tethering or a data only connection and has to be used in a phone. This normally won't show up for a day or so though and it should work for a while initially. To check you could buy the cheapest data only PAYG sim card you can find.

As for a longer term solution have a look at rolling monthly contacts with Vodafone although you will get more data if you go for a contract but this will tie you in for a year.

With a UK purchased sim in a MiFi you will be able to receive iPlayer and watch it on a tablet.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If you want simple, know it will work, have advice, and support regarding its installation and use. Just talk to these.

I did. I’ve now got tv via a fire stick which includes bbc channels, itv, chnl 4, Netflix and many more. I’ve used it in France Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and the uk. Even outside my house where there is zero signal with out their aerial. Started with a Three sim provided by them, but am now on a Vodafone contract as was so cheap. By getting sim in UK I didn’t need any VPN or trickery, it just works. Most complicated thing I’ve had to do was search for a provider. Which is easy via app.

I can now have both our iPads, iPhones, and fire stick connected to it. We even keep the WiFi on whilst driving so can use it to find aires, and traffic whilst on the move.

If you want unlimited data in Europe you will need to go to Vodafone. But you could just take several Three sims so if you reach the 19gb limit just swap to another. Remembering that once you operate it you only have one year to use the allowance.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
If you want unlimited data in Europe you will need to go to Vodafone. But you could just take several Three sims so if you reach the 19gb limit just swap to another. Remembering that once you operate it you only have one year to use the allowance.

The Three sim I bought on line for the Mifi is only 12 gb - I have used these quite happily for years. Since I don't want to stream anything they will last me quite well for a year.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Sue,

The most generous European tariff is presently Vodafone's 50GB Mobile Broadband SIM which is available on a 30-day rolling contract at £30pm. The 'Unlimited' Vodafone tariffs are unfortunately limited to 25GB in Europe.

This is going to be a better option than Pay As You Go with regards to cost and data use, since you are looking to do some streaming as well.

Hope that helps.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I don't know which provider you use but we have 2 phones with EE, one with a very generous data allowance. I purchased a MiFi and a £10 EE SIM with 5GB data included. The primary phone is then used to "gift" spare data across to the other phone and MiFi as required. Works a treat.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the top two data sim providers are vodafone and three, but both limit how much data you can use abroad

biggest issue right now is, if we pull out no deal, then roaming charges and deals may change drastically

cheapest deals at the moment are with three, but buying a data sim locally in each company may be best advice

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the top two data sim providers are vodafone and three, but both limit how much data you can use abroad

biggest issue right now is, if we pull out no deal, then roaming charges and deals may change drastically

cheapest deals at the moment are with three, but buying a data sim locally in each company may be best advice

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back