Advice Re Linking Inverter To The 240v Ring (1 Viewer)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I have now installed a 1500w inverter which I presently run an extension lead from. No problem but it would be much neater if I could link it upto the 240v ring in the motorhome when not on EHU. Can any of you wise ones point me in the right direction.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
becareful . i have known folk wire them into the ring then use ehu and blow the inverter. i prefer a extension lead system at least it seams safer.
i,m sure there possibly is a gadget of some sort to over come this . but extension lead as worked for 13 yrs in mine no probs .

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
it can be done automatically using relays or manually using a change over switch but the simplist way ive seen is a plug before the consumer unit and two sockets one fed from the invertor one from the ehu

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm about to wire one in to the RV. Remote control and I'm not clever enough to make an auto switchover but it will use the same socket as the regular hookup. So impossible to have both hooked up at the same time, I'll need to remove the inverter plug to be able to hookup to the mains. This way the inverter will make all my sockets live and run my fridge etc (y)

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
Don't be tempted to connect two plugs to a piece of wire and plug the inverter output into an existing socket as I've seen done before. A cable with a plug on each end is known as a 'Widowmaker'!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I have installed a dedicated mini ring to run from the inverter completely separate works well twin 110amph batteries & 220w of solar (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm about to wire one in to the RV. Remote control and I'm not clever enough to make an auto switchover but it will use the same socket as the regular hookup. So impossible to have both hooked up at the same time, I'll need to remove the inverter plug to be able to hookup to the mains. This way the inverter will make all my sockets live and run my fridge etc (y)

Hi Jim, dont forget to switch off the battery charger as I am told that perpetual motion still does not exist.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331117046146?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
CA_04171513105957-X2.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I changed the Inverter in ours to a pure sine but all the wiring was there for the auto changeover so I just did a quick swap that way it by passes the battery charger so I dont need to keep switching it off when on Inverter but everything else runs as if on EHU. The switch should prioritise EHU but not been brave enough to try it in anger.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just fitting an inverter at the moment, I want to wire mine in so it auto switches. Worked how to do to 2 of the vans sockets, the way Hymer have wired the van doesn't help, one feed supplies the Electroblock & 2 sockets the other the Fridge & 2 sockets. Now that I have got the floor up in one of the wardrobes found some connectors but they are strange ones not been able to source them anywhere, was hoping to do the mods so that I could just plug it back as it was if I decide to take it out when selling the van. Looks like I'll be cutting the cables.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I found my socket for the microwave is on the same radial circuit as the fridge, so rather than get complicated, I just plug the microwave into an extension from the inverter when we need to use it. Not a very elegant solution but it's not as if we use the microwave much. On ehu it just works in its own socket as originally designed.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp

I was planning to do the same but haven't worked out how to turn off the battery charger automatically and I will forget if I have to do it manually.

I considered removing all the wiring from the hook up so that on hook up all I'm powering is the battery charger then everything else off the inverter all the time. Seems the simplest option I think..

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years

I think this is by far the simplest and safest way and costs very little, you may well already have the cable. As already said Keep It Simple
I like simple.....o_O

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Yeah; Kiss works for me too. However I got carried away and used a 40A Changeover switch with a centre NULL. No chance of both being live together the charger unit was wired between the EHU and the C/O Switch (no EHU. No Charger)

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back