Advice Please..... (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I introduced myself on here a while back and the storey is that I`d love a MH to tour UK & Europe as I`m tired of the two week package holiday & airport routine, the trouble is I`m having trouble convincing my wife !
She agreed to try it, so I need to impress. I booked 10 days MH hire for June. I had thought of heading for Lake Garda but my feeling is that may be stretching it a bit with the time available and maybe somewhere nearer would be preferable.
I also liked the look of Lake Anncey and would probable do the Metz, Lausanne stopovers as recommended on here, unless anyone has any alternative suggestions ?
Are there any recommendations for sites in Anncey area ?
Are there any recommendations for alternative routes for the return journey to Calais ?
Is the West coast a good alternative, coast road down to La Rochelle / Bordeaux area ?
We like a bit of scenery / culture / gardens / houses to visit.
What would Funsters recommend to impress the lady……………:thumb:

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Impress Her

Hi Chris
:welcome:
if it was me,I would head up to the Highlands:thumb:
You will lose 2 days of your 10 getting/and returning the Moho,some absolute beautiful scenery and places of interest:thumb:
You would spend too long driving for a decent trip the Continent IMO::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dont make it look like youre trying too hard or the wife will probably pull the other way. travelling with a motorhome and the journey itself should hopefully open her eyes to the possibilities. most people worried about a vanning lifestyle seem to fear the sleeping arrangements, the toilet and the commonly held misconception of sitting in a muddy field in the rain. obviously cant do anything to help the weather but everything else is easy to get right

take your wife to visit a big dealership and get her to imagine being on a holiday adventure in vans of your choice. let her air her concerns then show how they can be overcome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Don't try to cram in too much. Driving most of the day to get somewhere will NOT impress.
Getting somewhere early evening and trying to park-up is no fun, (done that !!).
Set off early, drive some, lunch, wander, drive some then park -up.
Wander, eat then retire to bed at leisure because you have a MH so you can :thumb:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our first trip outside the UK in the motorhome was Disneyland Paris, stayed in the car park for two nights just because we could as we had changed caravan to motorhome.

I second the comments about dont try to go too far, France and Germany lots to see and do Mosel valley is nice for a few stopovers, loire valley in France lovely, keep moving little bits at a time and decide when you want to stop that the advantage of the motorhome.

Martin

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Our first trip outside the UK in the motorhome was Disneyland Paris, stayed in the car park for two nights just because we could as we had changed caravan to motorhome.

I second the comments about dont try to go too far, France and Germany lots to see and do Mosel valley is nice for a few stopovers, loire valley in France lovely, keep moving little bits at a time and decide when you want to stop that the advantage of the motorhome.

Martin

If you are going to go overseas then I agree with the above, France and Loire Valley given the time you have and what your interests are.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would recommend staying in the UK for your first foray as you will have enough on your plate getting used to a MH without the complication of another country!

Also, as you've hire in June you won't be hit with the extortionate fees for campsites in the UK as it's out of the main school holiday season, so you won't really need to pre-book anything. This has the advantage that you can decide which way to go depending on what the weather is likely to be. :thumb:

Between now and June you can make plans for the different areas, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall etc, so that when the time comes you aren't frantically trying to research which will just make you 'panic' and spoil your trip before it starts. I'm sure your wife would enjoy doing some of this planning - you've got your choice of a MH holiday ... let her choose the areas to go to.

I wouldn't push her too much about actually 'owning' a MH though, as all it could do is put her under pressure whilst you are on holiday if she feels she has to make a 'decision' when you get back home. Just concentrate on relaxing and enjoying it. ::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
For a short trip how about the Loire valley. Weather should hopefully be reasonable in June, and if it isn't you can always head south down the West coast. This will show your wife the big advantage of a motorhome, that if you don't like the weather/neighbours you just move until you do.:Smile:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
As a reluctant wife myself, I'd say it's not so much where you go but how you go about it...

Help her pack for the trip, you are trying to convince her it's not hard work.

Driving..make it all seem easy, don't get stressed about parking etc which roads you can/cannot go down. Use a sat nav!

Toilet.. Basically it's her job to fill it..yours to empty it. :thumb:

Not sure what layout or van you've hired but most should be comfortable. There is loads on info on this site re layouts when you are ready to purchase.

Food, again it's about making it seem easy and special, we have 4 kids plus extras so I'm usually cooking for 6/8, so a couple of marks and Spenser meals with some lovely wine and good bread salads etc seemed like a treat to me and was minimal work, your jobs the washing up right?

And lastly make her laugh, our first week away went so well because I could see the effort Mr M was making for me and we had such a giggle.

And lastly if it does go horrible wrong there's always solo motor homing!:ROFLMAO:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
This time last year, my wife really didn't want a motorhome.

As usual, we argued about it. And we agreed that combining motorhome hire into the structure of an established holiday would a a good way to evaluate it fairly.

So we took an extra week in Scotland to tour the places we'd talked about doing maybe by hotel or even camping.

And it worked. We all, as a family, had a great time!

We saw a place we knew through different eyes. But we went to some places we'd never been before and so combined the familiar (and hence more controllable and contrastable) with the unfamiliar.

We then spent another weekend away in another hired motorhome at a place we'd camped at before with the same set of friends we'd camped with previously. We had a perfect contrast and, again, really enjoyed it. That weekend was when Clare admitted she could see the advantages of owning a motorhome.

Two months later we owned one.

I'm not suggesting you do the same, but I am suggesting you think carefully about how you get your message across.

I let Clare research and choose most of the campsites. That helped a little.:winky:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Some good tips on here so far. I'd certainly agree with not trying to be too ambitious to begin with in terms of how far to travel, but somewhere like the Loire would be easy. And you could always carry on further south if you'd got the time and inclination - perhaps to the Dordogne.

But a point I'd make is that one of the pleasures for us is the stopping for breaks along the way - for coffee, or lunch, or tea, or whatever. If possible we like to try to find somewhere reasonably scenic to park up - somewhere with a bit of a view. Not always possible of course - but not too hard most of the time either; especially in France. It just makes the whole motorhome experience more pleasant. And again, if your in France and it's warm and sunny, it's often not too difficult to find somewhere with picnic benches for eating outside.

Oh, and we boil up water to put in a flask in the morning before leaving camp, and then it's quick and easy to make hot drinks along the way without having to turn on the gas.

In the UK we find some areas more motorhome-friendly than others. Scotland has been mentioned, which we certainly like. But so has Cornwall - and whilst I've nothing in general against the county - some of the country roads are not the easiest to negotiate with a MH. And parking can be a challenge too. Same goes for much of Devon as well, though it is one of my favourite counties in the country.

Whatever you decide, good luck. :thumb:

Mike

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I totally understand your wife's reservations but there are some very good suggestions mentioned here. 12 months ago I was persuaded, against my better judgement, by hubby to buy a motorhome. I was dreading it as my only previous experience of motorhoming was hiring one for 5 days a few years previously and it was not a pleasant experience - mainly due to the weather and one of our dogs misbehaving. Anyway, to cut a long story short I am now 12 months into motorhoming - we are on our 2nd motorhome, did 6,000 miles in it last year travelling to Crete and back with our 2 dogs and are currently planning our next trip to Crete leaving in a few weeks and going via Croatia, Montenegro and Albania. We have even been out in it several times over the past few weeks in the rotten weather and we've been really comfortable and cosy.

What can I say .................... I BLOOMIN' LOVE IT!!!

Good luck - just try to ensure that if you are stressed with anything you don't show it. Let us know what happens.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you're thinking of going in June, start planning now. Planning a trip is half the fun, but don't be too ambitious. You don't have to go far to have a great holiday, and remember, its a motorhome, made for travelling, visiting and travelling. You won't get a real feel for the life if you stay in just one or two campsites for the fortnight. We have rarely stayed more than one night anywhere, theres so much to see.
If you do decide to go to France, (and La Rochelle or the Vendee in general) is a great start. There are good roads down to there and they are generally quite empty.
Get yourself "All The Aires" ( Vicarious Book) "French Passion" and "Brit Stops". They all have great sites to stay either free or at very reasonable prices.

Most of all, have a great time.

Allan

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Show her this pic of our ladies having fun in the sun (Morocco)... They love it..:thumb: All good advise as above, dont want to add and complicate it more..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 31

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I would stay in the uk for your first trip.

The Kent motorhome show I think is the 1st weekend in June why not join us funsters or check the calendar for meets when you have the van xxxx

good luck with your plans hope it goes well

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Another vote for France, perhaps LE PUY DU FOU (Pays de la Loire) as your ultimate destination.

An alternative could be Champagne region (Epernay/Reims) then onto Mosel Valley and back again(choice of routes)

That would certainly be my limit for the first 10 days away.

Will finally recommend getting the tunnel to France, so easy compared to the ferry.

Good luck with it, sure you'll have a great holiday no matter what the decision !

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
I would say stay in uk for your first trip with such a short time. We have had our motorhome 4 years come July. Spent the first year in uk and visiting various motorhome shows. Since then been on the continent spring and autumn each year. Could suggest isle of Arran if you really want a boat trip.

Lin

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Some good advice already given already, we'd say stay in the UK for the first trip given that you only have 10 days.
Scotland wouldn't be too far if you're in Staffs. but what about in and around the Yorkshire Dales:thumb:

As Lindylou has suggested, Arran is a beautiful island, June should be ok weatherwise and the East Neuk of Fife is a little gem too, with all the beautiful little harbour towns in and around there.

Good luck with your decision and happy touring! Let us all know what you decide on in the end.

Margaret

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Toilet,shower and hairdryer stuff is what a lot of us ladies worry about especially at the beginning. We have stayed on some really nice Municipal sites in France, they are often close to a supermarket/fuel station for the morning when you set off again or will have somewhere to order bread for the next morning. You also have much more space if you are new to manouvering a big vehicle. You need to make it seem easy, comfortable and fun to convert her. The French are so friendly and love Campingcars, very patient even when you get in the wrong lane on the autoroute and everyone has to reverse, not that we have done that of course!

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
my two penneth is Let your good lady wife read this thread! Keep her in the loop, after all you are after a holiday/lifestyle for two!

and... if things that require power are something she really does like/need then I would also suggest staying UK for constant access to EHU's

Once you have your own MH you can fully equip yourself with decent batteries/solar panels or even gennies etc but on a hired one you may be limited to power and that could cut your holiday short in your wifes eyes if things didnt run smoothly :Smile:

Hope you have a great holiday whatever you choose

oh and as Gail suggest, come along to a meet, in particular a motorshow so you can see as many different types of layouts different MH's offer

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I agree with the post regarding coffee / tea stops. A very important part of the trip! One of the best bits about motorhoming is the comfort you have wherever you are :thumb: As for where to go it depends on where you have been before, somewhere new would be good . France is great and there are loads, LOADS of lovely places to stumble across. We are all different, you mentioned Metz...I did not like that and the aire is small, though there is a municiple next door, but I really like Charleville Meziers (also has an aire with a site next door) that would be quite a good one to see. You could camp but see the possibilities of aires :winky: too. But you have lots of time to plan and then discard them after you 'get out there' and realise the opportunities. Jane ::bigsmile:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

don,t try to hard to impress,get all u think u will need in m/h,drink/drink & more drink go to a m/h fun meet and let her do her own thing,talk to other m/h,s see if you/she enjoy the life-style / atmosphere being in company and made welcome is a big confidence booster:thumb:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Don't try to cram in too much. Driving most of the day to get somewhere will NOT impress.
Getting somewhere early evening and trying to park-up is no fun, (done that !!).
Set off early, drive some, lunch, wander, drive some then park -up.
Wander, eat then retire to bed at leisure because you have a MH so you can :thumb:

And most importantly, start the day properly, get up and take HER a cup of tea whilst she is still in bed. No rush, you're on holiday. Don't run out of gas, they don't like warm fridges and cold showers. Hair drier ?? There is one under the bonnet, set heater vents to her side :thumb:
As someone else suggested, discuss, ask what she wants from her Motorhome holiday.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
My vote is France, we are off to there in May and we only have 10 days.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Seconded. I have to agree. I think getting away from the campsite mentality and feeling the freedom to go as you please and not being on a schedule is something that can only really be done across the chanel.

Wyn
[/I]
motorhoming in france is so easy compared to uk it seems a shame not to go

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

She agreed to try it, so I need to impress. I booked 10 days MH hire for June. I had thought of heading for Lake Garda but my feeling is that may be stretching it

Dead right, you'd not have time to enjoy Garda.

Metz has a great site and aire on the banks of the river and an easy walk into town. Luzern is a delight with a campsite right by the lake and again an easy walk into a delightful town.

Just a day's drive from Calais then a day's drive to Luzern on glorious roads. 4 days driving, 6 days relaxing. A good plan.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all the useful advice, lots to think about.
I`d love to stay in UK as there are lots of places I never been to & want to visit, but then there`s the weather, 10 days of rain & wind could put her off MH all together !
I booked a nice van, island fixed bed at rear, solar panel, rev camera etc.
I did some driving in Normandy last year in car and loved it.
My feeling is the west coast of France is favourite, maybe as far as La Rochelle or cut inland to Loire. I think that is more realistic than trying to go too far. I`ll get the Aires book & start planning.
I`ll be getting a tea time crossing on day 1 and will need a stopover not too far from Calais, I`ve read gravelines is a good choice ?
Thanks again :Smile:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Gravelines is great. A very interesting place with some lovely strolls :Smile: Jane

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back