Advice please (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I am just waiting to collect our new Bessacarr E560 this weekend and have begun to wonder about a few things. Having caravanned for many years I know we use about 35-40 litres of water a day. Q.1 Do I need a hose to fill my tank up or do sites usually provide them? We shall initially be staying at CC or C&CC sites until we hit france in June. Q.2 Do I need a hose for discharging the waste, the van has a 1.4 turn valve on the underside?

Any other advice would be appreciated, especially on driving the van, although the unit is shorter than my previous outfit it has quite a long wheelbase. I hit the mate less than a mile from the dealers and then on through Glasgow to the M77!

This will probably be the first of a number of queries so thanking everyone in advance.

Rgds
Bill

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi Bill,

Nice choice of Van I have the E435. Some sites do have hoses others don't so you will need your own or do what I do, I have a small water carrier that I put on a trolly and top the tank up every day if not moving, if moving then I fill up at the Tap.
For the waste (grey water) there is usually a drain point that you position the outlet over and open the vave to dump.

Dane

Upvote 0
N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Hi Bill
We use a short hose for the grey waste... much easier if you're slightly out of position over the drain:winky:

Picked it up from the washing machine stall at the local market... about a metre or so long with a venturi (cone shaped) moulding on one end... around £3

We use a watering can 11ltr <€3 from a French h'mkt and top up as we need... a lot easier than moving the vehicle:thumb:

Edit:
just seen the Q re driving...sit in, set your mirrors, relax and enjoy...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi we have a hose for both but are not afraid to move the van :thumb: always thought that was the idea:thumb:
terry

Upvote 0
N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Very nice terry, I think we all know what thought thought...

It's all about convenience Bill... nice to have all the options:winky:

Although many avow the use of hoses for filling fresh water there is a risk, of contamination from bacteria, that we prefer to avoid.

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hi Bill,
All the above, :thumb:, but having said that we carry about 20 or so metres of food grade hose (the blue stuff) - one 15 metres length of lay-flat on a wind up cassette the rest in round. This has quite often allowed us to fill up from a tap nearby without having to move the van (which can be a pain if your on ramps and have the awning and windbreak out). We also carry about 5 metres of the crinkly type hose with the right fitting for our van's grey waste pipe, because not all sites have a drive over grey waste dump. Sometimes we drain off a couple of bowls full and carry it to the dump if the hose doesn't reach. If you are using a full site (e.g. C&CC or CC full site) that have showering facilities, your waste tank shouldn't fill up for a few days and 100 litres of water will last quite a while. My missus often keeps a smallish water carrier handy for cups of tea and coffee (sometimes we get that chlorine-y taint from the tank - haven't worked out why yet :Sad:)
If you are going to be using the van to run around then it's no big deal to dump your tank and loo and fill the FW on your way out - or back.
But whatever you end up doing it is handy to carry the lengths of hose for those occasions when whatever you usually do doesn't work. Oh yes, absolutely vital to carry a couple of those screw onto the tap fittings that will accept the 'hozelock' fitting. It makes it so much easier to attach your hose. :Smile:

Hope you find some of the above of use.

John

Upvote 0

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
Hi! WillH, judging from your geography instructions I bought my first Motorhome last October from the same place. I familiarised myself with the controls, adjusted seat, mirrors, set the heater controls and set off. By the time I got halfway to Glasgow on the mate, I felt really comfortable driving the vehicle. Just stay in the slow lane on the mate, that will keep you away from the speeders and when on the M77 well you will know that road even better than me.

As to water, I have a watering can too and I use that to top up the fresh water when it is required. It holds approx 10 litres so I usually stick in 20 litres or so before I start driving and fill up when I arrive on site.

As I am new to this then the other guys (and gals) on here will advise you better.

Enjoy!!!

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi, if you check our website, there are water carriers and waste disposal carriers in the Fiamma section, plus loads of other goodies.

Check the 'water' section as well as there are several types available

Theres also a 5% on line discount and free delivery over £100.

www.johnscrossshop.co.uk

Regards

Peter

Attachments

• aquaroll.jpg
    aquaroll.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
My Bessacarr came with a convuluted hose to put on the waste pipe, but I mostly find I can park over the drain manhole. I have both a short and long water hose, and a long and short electric connection which is also useful to join together if parked on a CL with electric points a distance off.

David

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks

Big thank you to everyone for their advice, I already have an aquaroll and was hoping to ditch that for a watering can. Also got a few bits and pieces of hose floating around in the garage somewhere.

I'll let you know how I get on. We're off to Melrose thursday week for 3 days then down to Keswick for another 3 days for a shakedown. really looking forward to the trip.

Thanks again.
Bill

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
With the RV if to far from a water point to top up i use a 40 litre aquaroll with a 12 volt submersible pump (available in most caravan accessory shops) to transfer it from aquaroll to water tank.

Just a little tip:winky:

Upvote 0

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
I have made a device,it consists of a 6ft. length of 4x2 timber,with a bucket on each end tied on with string.When we run short of water I attach it to the Wife and send her to the nearest tap,after 20 or 30 trips the tank is full,no problem.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Some uncaring chauvinists send their wife to get one watering can of water, thoughtless in the extreme when it's kinder and more efficient to have two... it's all about balance.

I like the idea of the yoke but 6 x 2 with a recess for the neck and straps for the wrists would add a little comfort and security

Upvote 0

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Thanks Graham & Papa, good ideas, looks like it's back to the drawing board.Hope S.W.M.B.O. doesn't read this.:thumb::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Bill,
just like roadrunner i have an aquaroll and sub pump taking up valuable locker space but i have never needed it so it will come out and be left at home this year.
if you're on site you dont use a lot really unless, like me, you cant be bothered to walk to the toilet/shower block :Blush:. i do carry a hose to topup on arrival with if needed.
as for grey water, my tank is bigger than the fresh tank so if i do need to refill i empty at the same time. a bit inconvenient having to move but we manage ok.

its a whole lot easier to drive a large M/H than tug a caravan, as you'll be used to taking wider corners ect but always remember the extra 2ft or so of height.:Doh:

hope you get loads of pleasure from your motorhome as we all do.:thumb::thumb:

john.

Upvote 0

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
All these tales of watering cans and Bacteria are totally unnecessary if you invest in a Nature pure water filter for the water that you drink in the van. You can purchase a small tap that you install to one side of your sink so that your drinking water is filtered seperately to the rest of the water you use. The main thing with hoses is to buy a good food grade hose for filling your tank, dont be tempted to use the cheap garden hoses that you see in DIY shops. If you get one that makes the water taste you will never get rid off it. We bought our Nature pure at a show about four years ago and I fitted it myself quite easily. They arent cheap but you get what you pay for. Normal household water filters are nowhere near as good. In four years I have never flushed my tank out or had to use sterilizers to clean it, I normally empty it in the winter because of frost but it never entirely empties and in the spring I just fill it up again. We have never had a problem with sickness and the water never tastes. I keep two differnt length hoses on the van for filling or join them together for maximum length. We have never not been able to reach a tap on a site, you just have to suss out where the taps are before you settle on a pitch.
You have to think where your going to stow all these extras like aquarolls and watering cans when not in use. A lay flat hose takes up no room at all in a locker.

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Tony when your in an RV getting near enough to a tap can be a problem however long your hose is, as it happen I carry a few roll flat ones:winky:

Got plenty of lockers for the aquaroll:winky:and hope I rarely need it:Sad:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Height

Thanks for reminding me about the extra 2 foot or so.

A few years ago, when driving to work, I passed the entrance to a local car park. About 10 feet passed the height barrier was a car. Hanging over the rear of the car was a bicycle, still loosely attached to the roof rack. Swinging gently in the breeze, hanging from the height barrier, was a second bicycle. The driver was sitting rythmically beating his head against the steering wheel!

We all have our moments.

Bill:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for reminding me about the extra 2 foot or so.

A few years ago, when driving to work, I passed the entrance to a local car park. About 10 feet passed the height barrier was a car. Hanging over the rear of the car was a bicycle, still loosely attached to the roof rack. Swinging gently in the breeze, hanging from the height barrier, was a second bicycle. The driver was sitting rythmically beating his head against the steering wheel!

We all have our moments.

Bill:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mmmm..........couple of bikes, a roof rack and a few scratches or............ a new motorhome roof !!!!!!

i'll take the cheaper option please. :thumb::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back