f001

Free Member
Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Hi all,

I hope this is OK, I just thought it was a good place to get advice over something I don't really know much about. If not please let me know.

My dad has recently fallen quite ill and he has to sell his Hymer.

A local dealer has offered £17-18K and I thought it a bit low, I appreciate it's subjective on condition and specs, but I wondered if I could ask the forum if its a fair price?? I would just like a "yeah - that's about right" or "nah - it's worth at least £??" - in which case I'll be selling it for him.

It's a Hymer B654 on a 06 plate, 2.8 diesel manual, about 85K on the clock. Well looked after and serviced as per schedules. Very good condition, and spotless inside. It has all the usual Hymer features; 4 berth with fixed bed over the rear cargo hold(?), as well as twin permanent LDV gas bottles, a satellite in a dome system and a large solar panel.

I've borrowed it and it drives very well and is very comfy! Dad has only just told me so I haven't any pictures yet, it's the 25th anniversary model - the picture is generic. But I will be getting some actual ones soon. I know it's a tall order but I would be very grateful for a steer.

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• hq_P1240369.jpg
    hq_P1240369.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 92
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think your suspicious are correct it does sound low but the dealer is looking to make a profit so not surprising.
You could try eBay or someone on here may be looking for a Hymer and be interested in making an offer ?

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
It would be useful to specify its gross weight as that will help determine the audience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
F

f001

Free Member
Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
That was quick, thanks for the replies.

The specs from another site are..
Dimensions of HYMER LEGEND 25 B654
Height: 2.90
Width: 2.27
Length: 6.99
Payload: 680kg
MTPLM: 3900kg
I'll get some pictures and list it...

Thanks again..

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
That was quick, thanks for the replies.

The specs from another site are..
Dimensions of HYMER LEGEND 25 B654
Height: 2.90
Width: 2.27
Length: 6.99
Payload: 680kg
MTPLM: 3900kg
I'll get some pictures and list it...

Thanks again..

You can't rely on other quoted spec. Best to check the actual weight plate that is on the van. Often on the offside or inside the bonnet. I know little about hymer but that seems a popular model and certainly worth more than you have been offered. Google the model and year, you will then see what they have been offered out for. Good luck.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think it is worth more than the dealer has offered. Hymer is a well regarded marque. It might even be an idea to call a couple of the "we pay cash for your motorhome" people (they advertise in motorhome magazines and also on the web). Their prices will be rock bottom but will give you an idea of the lowest price you should accept.

It might be worth joining this site because as a paid member as then you can put an ad in the classified section on here and also if you go the ebay route people will give you lots of advice about how to avoid scammers.

Is there a car / van sales you trust place near you who would be willing to sell on a commission basis?

Would you consider keeping it yourself?

I'm sure you have already thought about all these things already.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would say private sale value is nearer £30,000

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
In my limited experience an article you are trying to sell is never worth as much as you think whereas the one you are buying is always more.

The Hymer is undoubtedly "worth" more than the dealer is offering but he has a living to make. As others have said pay your sub to join here and advertise it.

Good luck whatever you decide.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The dealer will sell with a warranty and has to make a profit so the price will be low.
Selling privately will always see a better price.

OP
OP
F

f001

Free Member
Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Awesome responses, thanks so much. I've got some pictures so I'll get it listed.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Worth much more than dealer offer .
Ebay Classified ads 28 days £14 ,and be prepared for idiots .
Join on here £15 years membership advertise on the fun classifieds till sold ,and get a host of useful ,(&some not so) information plus word of mouth etc .
Lots of new members joining and looking for a good van .
And by the way
hellowelcome

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Autotrader Motorhomes is the place to look for comparative values (y)
Your dads van is well underpriced by the dealer, £28,000 is closer, and achievable with a private sale.
Good luck.

Deleted User
If you sell via Ebay, Autotrader etc then be aware of the usual scams and only sell to someone who has viewed the vehicle and pays by bank transfer at the time of handing the vehicle over and don't accept other payment methods such as PayPal or other types of payment, including cash.

OP
OP
F

f001

Free Member
Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Hi folks,
Just spoke to Nationwide, the guy said that if the money appears in your account on the app, it is cleared and available for you. Apparently it can't be "called back".
Also there's a 10k limit per transaction using fast payment, but he said that they shouldn't be a problem if the buyer did 3 transactions to cover the full amount. A chaps payment can deal with more in one shot but can take a day or so.

Before turning in last night I put the van on Gumtree for 26k, and was instantly offered 22k! so we'll see how it pans out.

Thanks for your advice so far. I'll be sorting out a sub and listing it here today probably.

Deleted User
You will no doubt get offered the full amount from someone who is not able to view the van for various reasons but is happy with your description and will offer ways to pay you the money and will arrange for a courier to pick up the van. This is a typical scam offer that you will receive.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Sad to hear that your Dad needs to sell his van.

If you are on Facebook you might be able to join Hymermarket, where Hymer enthusiasts buy and sell Hymers and Hymer stuff.

You might have to join Hymer Owners Group or Classic Hymers (not sure which of these two groups is affiliated to Hymermarket). But it’s free...

Good luck with the sale.

OP
OP
F

f001

Free Member
Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Yeah, I've sold a few cars and you always get the goons ringing up late at night saying they'll come straight away and then they get a offended when you explain you're off to bed!

I've never sold anything sold valuable so I'm super cautious and sceptical about instant offers!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back