LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
In storage my van is parked under a tree and no way of cleaning it.

On a campsite today I paid someone to clean it and he said the roof was really really bad with green stufv ofc the trees .. in one sechion about 4" x 18" the paint had come away completely ..

I have phoned around to find someone to do the job but will still be under the tree.. :( .. If I don't have it repainted yet until I can find somewhere else several months down the line, what will happen to the area ... e.g. rust or nothing. A friend says mhs won't go rusty because of what they are made of. Ty.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
What van have you got Joy?
If it's a PVC it could well rust but if it's a coach built it will probably be GRP with a gel coat covering which won't rust but may become a little porous if the gel coat has deteriorated. I'm sure you will get more expert advice later but I would try and find an alternative parking place ASAP.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it's aluminium it won't rust but will developed a 'furry' appearance over time.
Like a coating of heavy grey/white dust which is the aluminium oxidizing.
The paint around the damaged area will also continue to come away.
Depending what the tree is you may also get tree sap dripping on the roof.....when it hardens its a Bugger to get off.
I would get it sorted asap to prevent further damage.
A top cover maybe a good investment but difficult to fit on your own as you need step ladders and the covers aren't lightweight.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Something like this would be a good investment if you cant move pitches in the storage yard. A little bit of forethought before fitting by re rolling the cover would enable you to use the attachment ropes to unroll it on the roof or even pull it onto the roof from the ground.

Protec do full covers that can be put on by one person as they supply poles to ease the cover over the van but are full covers and a tad expensive, though may be worth a call to see if they would make you a roof only cover.

http://pro-teccoversonline.co.uk/

Best option for now would be to get it away from under the trees. JMTW (y)

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
@movan
What you need is a good chainsaw ......... just saying :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Here's my advice - not very clever etc. but what I would do in the same circumstances :)

Have the roof "plasticised" or "plastidipped" I believe there are one or two threads on here about the process.

When it comes time to sell the van - peel it off or leave it on - up to you (y)

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have mixed feelings about covers on any vehicle parked outside for a long period. A couple of years ago we used a generic type cover on the last motorhome we had. It was a reasonable fit and good quality (Royal) but not tailored for a snug fit. We used it over winter to keep off general detritus and grot from a nearby tree, but because of the wind moving the cover over the winter period when we removed the cover we found that cover although with a soft inner it had polished corners and rubbed through paint in some areas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back