Advice please today re flashing STOP light. (1 Viewer)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
On my way to meet several Funster ladies, my dashboard light kept flasing STOP plus the exclamation mark.

The latter usually means handbrake still on .. but it wasn't.

Arrived at the meet and lovely man pointed out I had a brake light out and he put a new one in. I hoped this might be what the warning was for.

After staying on site for a few days, I started to drive my mh and the flashing lights started again ... sometimes staying on permanently for several minutes. Since my amazing satnav had once more taken me down single country lanes, I couldn't stop as I would have been blocking the lane. When finally arrived at main road I pulled into a layby.

I went to a lorry driver and asked if he carried a bottle of engine oil I could purchase, (just in case it was this). He didn't but came and checked my oil. It was fine. He added some water to the correct container having said it wasn't that but we were grasping at straws. . and said I was probably safe to take to a garage I often go to .. I phoned and they are doing my MOT tomorrow.

Any suggestions please re the lights as I don't want to be hoodwinked if it something simple?

Thank you.

Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Maybe it's a warning about Funster meets...

What's the chassis... Fiat? Someone here will probably know what it means.

If all else fails read the manual... Have you had a look at the manual - what's the warning light for, and why might it be flashing?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Do you have a base vehicle manual with you ?

What chassis is yours? Post a photo of the front grill if you are not sure :)(n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Since 2008
If diesel, could be the good old DPF playing up. My diesel car won't run on supermarket fuel, flashes up engine management light and says stop, but a tank of decent diesel and a few miles at speed in a lower gear with the engine up to temperature usually resolves it. DPF's (Diesel Particulate Filters) aren't designed to run dirty, they need a high temperature to burn off the carbon deposits that diesel leaves behind, particularly the stuff left by cheaper fuels. Steady drives at low revs just allows the carbon to build up on the filter and hey presto, engine management/stop light comes on. Probably the reason white van man doesn't have that many problems, everywhere at red line speeds!

You could buy a bottle of DPF cleaner and put that through the tank as well at next fill up, will give the system a fairly good clean out, but I've found that a decent run on quality fuel does the same thing.

Obviously it could be something else entirely, so don't take this as gospel, but if the MOT place says DPF problem, take it away, run up to temperature and give it a bit of a harder drive and hopefully it'll get hot enough to burn the crud off.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It is impossible to advise you based on the info Joy. STOP! usually means something is wrong, but without the engine management light EML lit as well, it wont go into limp mode.

It needs the engine ecu codes read to see what is triggering the warning. Could be as simple as a dirty sensor or a bad wiring joint

bad news is a lit warning light is now an mot fail

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Have you checked brake fluid level?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
If it's like mine I understanding it may mean low brake fluid level. Worth checking.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It's pretty simple, "STOP! " means exactly that. There is a fault somewhere that could well be serious or even dangerous, continuing your journey may cause damage to the vehicle. Without proper diagnosis it is impossible to guess what may be the problem. If this warning comes up again, pull over at your FIRST safe opportunity and call your breakdown service, they will advise what to do next.

D.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
A diagnostic visit is needed to "read" the problem then reset the ECU, if just the brake light you are lucky, if not might be a bit more serious. Hope not!
Cheers, Dave(y)

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Maybe it's a warning about Funster meets...

What's the chassis... Fiat? Someone here will probably know what it means.

If all else fails read the manual... Have you had a look at the manual - what's the warning light for, and why might it be flashing?

Renault based ... limited books with me say exclamation mark means handbrake on .. but it isn't .. the STOP means stop and call for assistance . But it isn't on all the time and I would like to pretend I know what I'm talking about when I get to garage.

:(

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If diesel, could be the good old DPF playing up. My diesel car won't run on supermarket fuel, flashes up engine management light and says stop, but a tank of decent diesel and a few miles at speed in a lower gear with the engine up to temperature usually resolves it. DPF's (Diesel Particulate Filters) aren't designed to run dirty, they need a high temperature to burn off the carbon deposits that diesel leaves behind, particularly the stuff left by cheaper fuels. Steady drives at low revs just allows the carbon to build up on the filter and hey presto, engine management/stop light comes on. Probably the reason white van man doesn't have that many problems, everywhere at red line speeds!

You could buy a bottle of DPF cleaner and put that through the tank as well at next fill up, will give the system a fairly good clean out, but I've found that a decent run on quality fuel does the same thing.

Obviously it could be something else entirely, so don't take this as gospel, but if the MOT place says DPF problem, take it away, run up to temperature and give it a bit of a harder drive and hopefully it'll get hot enough to burn the crud off.

Will put new diesel in in morning on way to garage and see if that works ... thank you. :)

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
It is impossible to advise you based on the info Joy. STOP! usually means something is wrong, but without the engine management light EML lit as well, it wont go into limp mode.

It needs the engine ecu codes read to see what is triggering the warning. Could be as simple as a dirty sensor or a bad wiring joint

bad news is a lit warning light is now an mot fail

Bummer. :( I was hoping you were all going to say it sounds like a loose bulb in dashboard. :(

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I will tell him confidently to check my brake fluid level BEFORE he MOT's it.

THANK YOU everyone for your input. :)

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
I had a similar issue with my Peugeot car....stop light coming on intermittently Joy.....took it to garage and yes it was the brake fluid...

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I had a similar issue with my Peugeot car....stop light coming on intermittently Joy.....took it to garage and yes it was the brake fluid...
Fingers crossed for me too then, Hilary. Feeling bit sick with cost of everything. :(

Just had thought as I was sitting here sorry for myself, those that say it could be something 'more serious' ... are we talking hundreds? I know I'm asking how long is a piece of string but I'm bracing myself.

Thanks for your patience.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Fingers crossed for me too then, Hilary. Feeling bit sick with cost of everything. :(

Just had thought as I was sitting here sorry for myself, those that say it could be something 'more serious' ... are we talking hundreds? I know I'm asking how long is a piece of string but I'm bracing myself.

Thanks for your patience.

Don’t panic Joy, all will be fine. Sending you a hug to calm you down. :hugs:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It could be that the hand brake switch is sticking..? But I would get the garage to find and fix the fault before the MOT as any warning lights on the dash would mean it fails the mot.....

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Why not check your brake fluid level yourself. It’s a simple visual check, and something I think everyone should know how to do. It will take longer to pop the bonnet, than to look at the level in reservoir.

It may also help you rest if you know it’s something simple.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Why not check your brake fluid level yourself. It’s a simple visual check, and something I think everyone should know how to do. It will take longer to pop the bonnet, than to look at the level in reservoir.

It may also help you rest if you know it’s something simple.

Thank you. I will 'pop the bonnet' .... lol.. I like that phrase, thank you :) ... in the morning to see if I can see anything that says brake fluid bottle. (y)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Could simply be stucking cable if flashes again force hand brake cable right down see if that stops the flashing

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If you give the info on model/age of you vehicle I’m sure someone will tell you where and what to look for.

If it is brake fluid level that is low, it will often be indicating that your brake pads are getting low.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If you give the info on model/age of you vehicle I’m sure someone will tell you where and what to look for.

If it is brake fluid level that is low, it will often be indicating that your brake pads are getting low.

Thank you. I'm sure I had brake pads done last year. :( I'll check.

@Geo when you say hand brake 'cable' .. do you just mean handbrake, as I have done that, or is there a wire somewhere please?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Don't feel too bad about this Joy, I am sure that with this being intermittent you can safely make the journey to the garage, I don't know where brake fluid would go either you are not alone x :)(y)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Have you got a photo??
If you had new brake pads last year did you have new brake fluid?
If you did, i thought it lasted 2 years??

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Does this help?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thank you. I'm sure I had brake pads done last year. :( I'll check.

@Geo when you say hand brake 'cable' .. do you just mean handbrake, as I have done that, or is there a wire somewhere please?
Yes I did mean handbrake BUT thats from picking up the thread midway based on others comments I was dealing with an intermittent warning light I now see its the STOP warning light, indicating something more urgent than a sticking handbrake cable
It does need a scan to see whats going on here as this STOP Light has multiple indications from brakes to emissions faults
For the record Brake fluid can be lost in multiple scenarios without it being a visible leak
Needs a garage asap

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello all. Thank you again. :) phew what a relief.

It was low brake fluid. :).. plus the brake rear bulb, which I had replaced just a few days ago, had gone again...... total cost over and above the MOT .. £2. :) :)

They said to keep an eye on this and if brake fluid drops again in near future then it will need investigating, which can be big dismantke/tracking job; but they are hoping not.

Yeah yeah yeah. Happy bunny here. THANK YOU.

(@Geo .. re your last sentence, I may come back to you on that please if it does happen again. )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back