Advice please Solar controller (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Looks like the common consensus is your regulator is banjaxed ! Best of luck going forward. (I also think your battery capacity is not good and you will know for certain soon enough if I am right !).

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
as lenny HB has asked when you fitted the new regulator did you connect the battery connections to the terminals on the regulator before you then connected the solar panel wires because it is very important that the connections are made in this order. That is, battery to regulator first , If you did not or you not sure try disconnecting the regulator and reconnecting as described.

Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015
I had exactly the same fault with my electrics last month. Panel above the door was reading 16v,then 12v system would shut down. (worked fine at night as no sun) Sargent confirmed it was the solar controller at fault so replaced it like for like. Working perfect now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_141009.jpg
    IMG_20200622_141009.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 19
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
as lenny HB has asked when you fitted the new regulator did you connect the battery connections to the terminals on the regulator before you then connected the solar panel wires because it is very important that the connections are made in this order. That is, battery to regulator first , If you did not or you not sure try disconnecting the regulator and reconnecting as described.
The O.P.did say the regulator was working correctly when first connected, so unlikely to be as a result of what you suggest.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
When first fitted, perhaps the suspect batteries were so flat the solar could not raise the voltage high enough to trigger the B2B into thinking the engine was running.
I like Lenny HB's simple idea of disconnecting and reconnecting the controller in the correct sequence. Also agree an old fashioned drop test will damage a proper leisure battery.

Oct 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The O.P.did say the regulator was working correctly when first connected, so unlikely to be as a result of what you suggest.
If the connection was made in the wrong order when not in sunlight is it possible that it would show battery voltage at first and then increase unregulated , when the sun came out, as the regulator had not been set to 12 volt instead of 24 volt ? I also think it could be a faulty regulator but perhaps this could happen ?

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
If the connection was made in the wrong order when not in sunlight is it possible that it would show battery voltage at first and then increase unregulated , when the sun came out, as the regulator had not been set to 12 volt instead of 24 volt ? I also think it could be a faulty regulator but perhaps this could happen ?
The important part is this...It was fitted by Conrad Anderson for the original owner. I have taken on the truck and the fault only seems to raise its ugly head during the day time and not at night? Making me believe the solar controller being at fault.
With huge respect to all on here ...the batteries seem to be holding charge and indicate from the date stamp that they were changed April this year ? Possible reason is that they were four years old? Dont know?
When it was in storage for the last 8 weeks...We went up to it and it fired up like the batteries had just been fitted from new! Most the time In the past I end up jump starting after 4 weeks! These seem to be doing really well.
kevntrace seem to have had a similar fault?

I Have a new controller being delivered today DHL have told me between 3 and 4pm. Will let all know when its fitted

Thanks all for the input....Great place to be on here for knowledge and wisdom most definitely ;)(y)

Kev

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I think your clutching at straws to be honest ! Hopefully, the O.P. will provide some feedback after fitting the replacement regulator and put this thread to bed.

Oct 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Kev, My point is, was the replacement you fitted yourself, to replace the one fitted by Conrad Anderson, connected in the correct order by yourself when fitting it ie. battery wiring or wiring from the sargent unit fitted to the regulator before there is any connection whatsoever of the wires from the solar panel,(If it is not done in this order it will not work correctly and may overcharge ,as it appears to be doing ). Hopefully the new regulator will sort things out ( with the wires connected as stated )

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi Geoff........The one I fitted was a direct replacement with only four used connections . Really all self explanatory as regards fitting. It was a pos and neg from the solar panel into its corresponding ports highlighted and a pos and neg from the battery bank fitted by Conrad Anderson from the Bridge gubbins they have fitted. The Connections can only go in one way. The fact it worked afterwards ...by that ..it showed voltage at the batteries down now to 14.4 volts rather than 18 volts and constant green led's indicating all was ok ...set me on my way to believe all was now sorted.
It since has now gone back to doing the same as before? By that it shuts down the power board above the hab door unless I disconnect the solar controller. When the solar is disconnected...all works fine without it? Sort of keeps telling me that the controller is still at fault?
Just waiting now for the Proper direct replacement to arrive from DHL. When it comes I will be on the job and let all know the outcome
Thanks for the help and interest though

regards Kev

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The one I fitted was a direct replacement with only four used connections . Really all self explanatory as regards fitting. It was a pos and neg from the solar panel into its corresponding ports highlighted and a pos and neg from the battery bank fitted by Conrad Anderson from the Bridge gubbins they have fitted.
The question is not where you connected the wires but in Which order you connected them.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
The question is not where you connected the wires but in Which order you connected them.
If the system is switched off entirely and by that I mean Isolated entirely...What difference would it make ? If the battery bank is connected first (Just my thought here as its the means to accept a load and ready and waiting )...If I then connect the solar panel wires as I would have thought is correct..neutral one first and then the pos one....What should I have done differently or what could be done differently ?

Intrigued?

Kev

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If the system is switched off entirely and by that I mean Isolated entirely...What difference would it make ? If the battery bank is connected first (Just my thought here as its the means to accept a load and ready and waiting )...If I then connect the solar panel wires as I would have thought is correct..neutral one first and then the pos one....What should I have done differently or what could be done differently ?

Intrigued?

Kev
If you did it that order it is OK.
The controller you fitted is capable of both 12 v and 24 v charging you MUST connect the controller to the batteries before you connect the panels as this sets the charging voltage.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
New controller fitted as per instructions and I have a steady 13.5 volts now instead of 18 volts and flashing Led's!
Hopefully it is sorted now? fingers crossed. :pray2:
The Controller lights were originally flashing like crazy indicating an Over charge fault (18 volts?)
The picture below shows a constant green Battery light and a flashing solar green light (Off at the moment of the picture being taken) in normal charge condition. The red light is the module switched on.
Pictures are to show (Albeit not very good sorry) Battery voltage and solar input at the panel. The Multi meter was connected and although not on show...its reading 13.9 volts at the battery bank (leisure) when being charged via the solar panel. If I connect to the vehicle battery..The solar panel is reading 2 to 3 amps going in and the voltage creeps up to 13.4
Happy at the moment thanks guys. Really sorry for being a bit of a plank when it comes to electrics! Really have to work hard at it hence trying to do it the right way.
Currently left it doing its stuff with the Sargent unit removed from its cabinet. Will fit that later if it seems ok

Thanks again guys for the help......I will be back if it throws a fit again. Really hope this time though, I wont need to? Fingers crossed again
Sorry for any confusion guys regarding the explanation? My grandson would have been better asking to be honest...My learning curve is getting a bit too steep for my old brain.
Really appreciate the help on here though...:calig:

Regards kev

Attachments

• Solar 1.jpg
    Solar 1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 19
  • solar 2.jpg
    solar 2.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 19
  • solar 3.jpg
    solar 3.jpg