Advice Please - Small Automatic Gearbox Coachbuilt (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Hi all

I'm after some suggestions please, if I may...

My Dad is looking to convert over from his caravan to a small coachbuilt 'van (not a panel van conversion - we've narrowed down that he likes his space), but no longer than 6.5m & preferably closer to 6m (or less)...

We had a good look round all the local dealers, but the problem is he wants an automatic gearbox, and it would seem so far that small vans = small engines = manual gearboxes...

So, would anybody out there have any suggestions as to makes and models that might fit the bill please ? At this stage, budget isn't the most important thing, as he seems prepared to pay the right money for the right 'van...

Thanks in advance

Steve

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
why not fit an autoclutch, i have had one on my vw lt for afew years works fine.keeps cl.pedal but works with a swich on gear stick . contact vehvac in kent 01732868080 can be taken off later n put on next vehicle.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Ours is 6.4 metres long, automatic and left-hand drive - based on a MB Sprinter chassis (but I'm sure there are some RHD ones about if that is important). See picture in my post ID. It is A-class rather than coach-built, but has a pull down double bed over the driving position and a fixed double bed over a garage at the rear.

Model is Hymer B630 Starline and the version we have was made between 2002 and 2005/6.

Here is an example of one that was sold recently.

<<Link Removed>>

Philip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
How about a small American RV. They are all auto box with power everything and good space. If you can find an LPG converted model mileage is similar to Eurovan. :thumb:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
The problem is that most are built on the Peugeot Boxer/Fiat Ducato base, and this isn't produced in an auto form.
Ford Transit used to come in auto, but I don't think the current model does.
So if buying new you need to look at ones built on different chassis - e.g. Merc Sprinter.

Dawn

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
Merseyside.
Funster No
MH
Hightop.
Exp
17yrs.
Hiya,

There's an automatic Volkswagen Compass Calypso, Link Removed

OP
OP
EssexBoy
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
The problem is that most are built on the Peugeot Boxer/Fiat Ducato base, and this isn't produced in an auto form.
Ford Transit used to come in auto, but I don't think the current model does.
So if buying new you need to look at ones built on different chassis - e.g. Merc Sprinter.

Hi Caztur

Yes, I agree. Peugeot/Fiat do seem to dominate the smaller 'van sector, and the lack of an auto was a surprise really...

I did see that Mercs have an auto option, but they seem to be few and far between on small 'vans...

Are you aware of other base chassis manufacturers like Renault etc that do autos ?

Thanks

Steve

OP
OP
EssexBoy
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
We have an 06

VW automatic Bilbo Celex:thumb:

Peter

Thanks Peter

We did take Dad to see some Hi-Tops and small coachbuilts, and he much preferred the coachbuilts. The only trouble was that then we realised the ones we saw were all Fiat/Peugeot based and therefore only available as manuals...

We did see a Lunar Telstar in an auto, but that was about 6.5m-ish long, so may fit the bill as a compromise, if we don't come across something shorter...

Thanks again

Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Steve

try a search in Autotrader in the caravan and motorhome section,

unfortunately they don't have a motorhome only section so use the keywords; motorhome and automatic in the advanced search to filter out the caravans and manual motorhomes.. when I tried it brought up 33

hth

Jim

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
does he really need auto full stop, as the auto clutch will any camper .still keeps gear stick for u to change but electronically works the clutch.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thanks Peter

We did take Dad to see some Hi-Tops and small coachbuilts, and he much preferred the coachbuilts. The only trouble was that then we realised the ones we saw were all Fiat/Peugeot based and therefore only available as manuals...

We did see a Lunar Telstar in an auto, but that was about 6.5m-ish long, so may fit the bill as a compromise, if we don't come across something shorter...

Thanks again

Steve

Swift can do an automatic, but then your into new money £36k ish and a wait for a build slot.

Peter

OP
OP
EssexBoy
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Swift can do an automatic, but then your into new money £36k ish and a wait for a build slot.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Which model can they do in in an auto ? I thought they were all Fiat/Peugeot based, and therefore a no-no on the auto box ?

I ask, because if its the right 'van, then waiting for it might be an option...

Thanks

Steve

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thanks Peter. Which model can they do in in an auto ? I thought they were all Fiat/Peugeot based, and therefore a no-no on the auto box ?
I ask, because if its the right 'van, then waiting for it might be an option...
Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve,

If your prepared to wait I believe you can get any model, but I think its only on the 3 litre. The VW is sold now.

I do however have other autos on Merc chassis, there should be a very late Devon Auto (2008) coming in I believe, also on a Merc.

Peter

2001 Rimor Superbrig 670http://javascript<b></b>:showit('ext_DSCN2550.jpg,int_DSCN2561.jpg,add1_DSCN2562.jpg,add2_DSCN2563.jpg,add3_DSCN2564.jpg,add4_DSCN2565.jpg'); Mercedes Sprinter 313cdi 2200cc Turbo Diesel AutomaticLength: 22' 1" (6.72m)Layout: End Fixed BedroomHeight: 10' 2" (3.1m)Berths: Six BerthMileage: 25400
2000 Rapido 749m
http://javascript<b></b>:showit('ext_DSCN2586.jpg,int_DSCN2587.jpg,add1_DSCN2588.jpg,add2_DSCN2589.jpg,add3_DSCN2590.jpg,add4_DSCN2591.jpg'); Mercedes Sprinter 2874cc Turbo Diesel AutomaticLength: 19' 8" (5.99m)Layout: End Fixed BedroomHeight: 9' 9" (2.97m)Berths: Four BerthMileage: 27000

Last edited:
OP
OP
EssexBoy
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Hi Peter

We took Dad to the Stratford Show last weekend, and turned out to be a very good move...

Dad narrowed his choice massively. After seeing all the 'vans on show, he has now decided he wants a Hi-Top, and ones with a layout like the Timberland Endeavour, Autocruise Rhythm, Swift Mondial, Trigano Tribute 650...

So, we now have something specific look to for, the only trouble is, these Hi-Tops seem even more rarer than hen's teeth than before !!!

Anyway, thanks for all your help so far...

Thanks

Steve

grumpy

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Llangollen, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Over 25 years
Automatic gearbocoachbuilt.

Hi Steve.
We have just bought a Swift Voyager from Lowdhams in Nottingham. We wanted a 6.5 meter van too. We found the firm to be very obliging and friendly. I am disabled(breathing) and they sorted it all out for me. I don't know wether you have a vehicle to part exchange, but we had a good price for ours. They have a Voyager there. I don't know what price you are intending to pay, this one is £39,995 ( I think) it is automatic. But we plumped for the manual. We knew you were looking so left it for you. Ok I didn't want automatic. Anyway I think it is still there if you want to phone or look on the internet. Phone No. 0115-966-3838..... Website-www.lowdhamleisure.com
Might not be what you want but at least you can look. :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile: Peter:Angry:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a

I hope that's not true 'cos I've just ordered an 'auto' box on mine OK it's an electronic adaptation but still automatic gear changes and no 'clutch' pedal.........I hope ::bigsmile:

thewilse

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
2 years
What 2.5 Renault Master with Quickshift6?

It's fully auto, and has manual overide also??

w

cjs_surf

Free Member
Mar 8, 2009
Dublin
Funster No
MH
Toyota Hiace
Exp
Hi Peter

vans on show, he has now decided he wants a Hi-Top, and ones with a layout like the Timberland Endeavour, Autocruise Rhythm, Swift Mondial, Trigano Tribute 650...

Steve
What about a Jap import toyota Hiace - I'm waiting for mine to arrive from Japna but there are a few companies in the UK (I'm in Ireland) that do them for example

http://www.poplarmotors.co.uk/motors_in.php?vID=152

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Another converter to use the Renault

Devon Conversions Online