Advice Please on taking dogs to Spain (1 Viewer)

GaryW

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
We are off to France and Spain September and are taking our 2 cocker spaniels.

They both have up to date pet passports .

We have taken them to France numerous times but never ventured into Spain.

My question is :

Do they have to have had there rabies injection within the last 12 months to go to Spain and who would check anyhow.

They both had their rabies injections about 2 months ago and they last for 3 years.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they have to have the injection within the last 12 months but not sure if that's if you are emigrating to Spain as opposed to Holiday.

Either way we should be ok this year but what about the following 2 years.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
You don't need to worry, you are perfectly 'legal'. No one will check anyway but that is irrelevant. The only check will be when you come to check in at the tunnel or ferry on your return. In this case the rabies injections are current you just need to have the passports completed by a vet in respect of worming treatment not more than 5 days and not less than 24 hours before you check in.

We have been taking cocker spaniel to Spain for years and never had any problems.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Exactly as @Xabia said. A current rabies jab is what matters.

Check them for ticks daily as tick fever can be serious.
Also I am not sure about sand flies in Spain so worth checking this too in case they will need collars.
In some parts of Europe they have the same green blue algae problem on lakes as we have here in UK so just something to be aware of if they are keen lake swimmers.
I'm a bit f a worrier about the dogs but all the time we lived in France, never had a problem, they were never I'll.

Enjoy your trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Avantix is good for ticks fleas and sand flies we use it when going to Spain over the winter although sand flies are usually not around then.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Worth a mention, make sure when, on your return to UK, the vet puts the time as well as the date on the passports. Without the time....you don't go.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We have been going to Spain last few winters and always go to our vet here first to get the appropriate treatments to take with us for visits during December to March - mainly Advantix and Advocate. Your vet should be able to give you what's required depending on which months you'll be there and what part of Spain you'll be in. If you're going to be there during the winter a pest to look out for is the pine processionary caterpillar.

The only pet passport checks you're likely to get are when leaving and entering the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I forgot to mention, I always fit our dog with a Scalibor collar to guard against sand flies etc, etc. Put it on a week before you go and leave on for a couple of weeks after you return.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back