Advice please on route home from Strasbourg with 1st motorhome (1 Viewer)

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
It is getting closer to my trip to Strasbourg to collect my new motorhome ( my first) and I would like some advice as to the route I should use. My current plan is as follows:
Collect motorhome and stop that night at Indigo campsite in Strasbourg (this is to allow me to check out as much as possible and still return to the dealer if there are any issues/faults that crop up before leaving Strasbourg.

Then I was planning to use the A4 up to south of Reims and stay at Mareuil sur Ay aire overnight and then push on to Calais to catch the eurotunnel around lunchtime on the 3rd day. My logic for using the A4 was that I have never driven a motorhome before, although a confident driver, and using the Autoroute might be easier. But I also noticed that an alternative could be to use the N4 up to south of Reims instead.
What do you think?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I always go via Belgium as it's free motorway all the way to Calais. Never heard of buying from Strasburg. What happens about plates and insurance for the trip back? Main thing is not to travel at rush hour, drive in daylight and be cautious and you will be fine!:)

Eddie

Oh! plenty of free aires on route...

OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Thanks Eddie, plates are on what they call W garage plates which are a temporary plate that last a month but don't come with insurance. This is proving somewhat problematic at the moment in so much as I had companies willing to provide cover back in December before I placed my order but now say the underwriters have changed their minds. Still trying to find some other options but proving difficult. I don't understand why UK
Insurers won't cover me, it's fine if you start your journey and end it in the UK but not if you start it in France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If you find your feet are wet-
-
-
-
-
-
you should by then be on a boat

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Why most buy in Germany or Belgium I guess.....what about getting dealer to drive it to Calais? It's not that far just a days money I would think...Once on UK soil (half way through the tunnel) you can get full comp set up with the likes of Safeguard on VIN number.

Eddie

Edit: the other day someone said they set up insurance through AIB. I am doubtful to be honest but worth a call...get it in writing though! Be nice to be proved wtong:)

OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
AIB and a few others I have spoken to will gladly cover the damage and theft risk what they won't touch is the third party (road traffic act) risk.
Dealer says that he can't drive to Calais I have already tried that and even offered him €800 but they say that in france once the vehicle is sold they cannot then drive on their insurance. Don't know if that's true or they just don't want to do it. I have also tried several french insurance companies but they won't do it if you are not a french resident. I am awaiting a call back on Monday from a Dutch broker, fingers crossed they can do something.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I paid an agent to collect mine and deliver it to VanBitz for some extras (Growler alarm, Gas-Low and Non-Starter Tracker, then the first I got to drive it was picking it up from @eddievanbitz , I was however still working at that time, it would be nice to do every mile yourself though.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ouch! Expensive...last time I checked with german dealer I use about an hour north of dusseldorf they wanted 400 euro..

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I use the NFU and they gave me fully comp from the moment I paid the invoice, on the VIN. I understand that others have approached them but met with refusal on the basis of existing policy holders only. I have been with them for 5 years and they have all my vehicles. But may well be worth a call to see. NFU at Louth. Good luck.

OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I use the NFU and they gave me fully comp from the moment I paid the invoice, on the VIN. I understand that others have approached them but met with refusal on the basis of existing policy holders only. I have been with them for 5 years and they have all my vehicles. But may well be worth a call to see. NFU at Louth. Good luck.
Yeah I called them on Friday but unable to help until back in the UK unfortunately.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'm sure if you ring transport company's they will have insured drivers with trade plates who can do it...would not think it should cost over 4-500 plus expenses

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I also used NFU with no bother at all

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I also used NFU with no bother at all

where did you import it from France or Germany... and have you it in wrighting it was fully comp. I used to use NFU years ago when I had demountable campers...found them very good and kike Safeguard insured on VIN for import, but sure at that time only third party until on home turf...

OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Dutch broker finally came through and received my Green Card for third party cover this morning. Apparently it's very easy to get for Germany but hellishly difficult to obtain for France, still don't understand why this is.

Now just got to decide if I want to pay a small fortune to get fully comp insurance just for 3 days cover whilst I drive back to Calais. I have taken out a Vin number policy with Safeguard for when it's back in the UK, which in comparison is reasonable.

Still undecided on route back, does the one through Belgium use motorway all the way?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back