LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, I use photoshop CS3 and have decided to try to learn to use it properly. In the past i've used it to crop, resize, saturate and sometimes to tweak a bit i.e. in the shots below (Jay 1) being the original, i've warmed it slightly and increased saturation and added a highlight in the eye to try to bring it more to life.
I would welcome your opinions.
My main question is this, I have read two different opinions on how to set up the basics. One says to have the camera (Nikon D70s) set to adobe RGB and also the colour space in CS3 set this. Another recommends using srgb in both. I'm now confused. :Blush:
Any help would be most welcome. ::bigsmile:

Attachments

• Jay-1.jpg
    Jay-1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Jay-2.jpg
    Jay-2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 85

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi, I use photoshop CS3 and have decided to try to learn to use it properly. In the past i've used it to crop, resize, saturate and sometimes to tweak a bit i.e. in the shots below (Jay 1) being the original, i've warmed it slightly and increased saturation and added a highlight in the eye to try to bring it more to life.
I would welcome your opinions.
My main question is this, I have read two different opinions on how to set up the basics. One says to have the camera (Nikon D70s) set to adobe RGB and also the colour space in CS3 set this. Another recommends using srgb in both. I'm now confused. :Blush:
Any help would be most welcome. ::bigsmile:

Hi Ken,

It seems they are trying to develop a "standard" for Microsoft apps and web based internet regarding Colour Management.

I haven't had time to look at the whole document but here's one link.

A Standard Default Color Space for the Internet - sRGB

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Ken,

It seems they are trying to develop a "standard" for Microsoft apps and web based internet regarding Colour Management.

I haven't had time to look at the whole document but here's one link.

A Standard Default Color Space for the Internet - sRGB

Thanks for that Steve. I've always been led to believe that Adobe RGB1988 has a wider colour range than SRGB but there again do I need that? And would SRGB produce better prints for me on my Epson R800?. I know my laptop monitor won't give the best results but it's all I have (space due to living in a static) ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Personally I guess I'd go for the Abobe one.

The main criteria for the Graphics studios I used to work in, was the correct calibration of the monitor to output device.That was what took so much time to achieve.

If they didn't get what was seen on the screen there were calls for recalibration :Doh:

With any output device there are tolerences and the output can vary with ambient temp and humidity.

The best results were therefore obtained in climate controlled environment.
Sorry I'm going on a bit ...................:Doh:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Ken, you're certainly not the first and you wont be the last that confuses Colour Space with ICC profiles. Have a read here this site goes a good way to explaining them.

I have my setup working around my printer profiles, I am never surprised by output and pretty well know for sure what my prints will look like. :Smile:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hmm just found ICC profiles for my R800 printer. Now I can set CS3 to the printer in the "colour settings " "RGB" box. Sounds like an even better option.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hmm just found ICC profiles for my R800 printer. Now I can set CS3 to the printer in the "colour settings " "RGB" box. Sounds like an even better option.

See my earlier post. Using my prnter profile works well for me:thumb:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Jim, so now I have CS3 set to the printer profile when I come to print in the printer settings dialogue box do I turn colour management off or leave it on? Sorry to be a pain but it's the first time i've gone into this. :Blush:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Tried experimenting yesterday and now i've got CS3 set to the R800 colour space results seem a lot better to me. Best results seem to be with "photo enhance" and "digital camera correction" turned on in the printer dialogue box.
On to more photoshop experimenting now ...watch this space for more dumb questions :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the help so far. ::bigsmile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
That's not a dumb question Ken.

Colour correction and matching what you see on the screen to the output copy are the primary concerns of the Graphics industry.

Once you get that right you have a firm base to work on.:thumb:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
That's not a dumb question Ken.

Colour correction and matching what you see on the screen to the output copy are the primary concerns of the Graphics industry.

Once you get that right you have a firm base to work on.:thumb:

Hi Steve, I think I have a better understanding of the difference between colour space and colour profile now. I have always found it difficult to to match my photos to what I see on screen. In saying that because I'm using a laptop I find it depends a lot on the angle I view the screen at. Things are much better since changing CS3 to my printer ICC profile. Not perfectly as I see on screen but pretty damn close. Part of the problem is that expermenting can be very expensive ink wise as I won't use compatibles on my "good printer" Tho I do use a DX4000 to play around a bit using compatible inks which helps to get somewhere near the result I want. ::bigsmile:

mike hall44

Free Member
Jan 30, 2008
Arnold. Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper.
Exp
40yrs camping. 6yrs Motorhome.
set sRGB as default colour space. Should be the same on Monitor: Camera: Photoshop Color Space: scanner: Printer. Finished print should be viewed with Daylight (blue)
bulb.
Adobe RGB 1998 has broader spectrum. sRGB is good starting point.

Mike hall:
Works Fine For Me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back