Advice please if possible, tesco @ Clevedon, Somerset (1 Viewer)

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are due to set off for Cornwall next month, so I will be driving about 220 miles to our first stop near Weston Super Mare, I had thought about leaving at 6 or 7 am on the day, but thinking about the traffic, we will be going M1 to jct 21a then on A42/M42, and then onto M5 South, often when we travel this journey we go to jct 20 at Clevedon, and go to the tescos and get fuel, and use the toilets, and the cafe when they had one, that was in a car. Now it's in a 6mtr PVC.

Then I thought about leaving between 9&10 pm, probably arrive between 4&6 am, so thought I might park up on tescos car park the store closes at midnight, and stay there a few hours before moving on to our first destination, which will be about 10 miles away for an overnight stop that night, then onwards to Cornwall.

Not an exciting plan, but any thoughts about that area, just gets most of the distance done, hopefully without the daytime traffic problems, albeit anything can happen.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
and stay there a few hours

I believe all tesco stores have parking restrctions limiting the stop to 3 or 4 hours. Some have number plate recognition cameras (operated by independant companies) with automatic tickets being issued by post so beware. :(

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I would come off at M5 junc 17 cribbs causeway,head for asda,you can see it on your left as you come off.It has a very large car park with cheap diesel and a cafe/toilets.Also may be possible to park up in the far corner.Does LPG here as well.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
whoa

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
@Flamenca

Many thanks for that, so I set off to do a bit of research, found this link, don't know how true it is.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4622601

Edit, I know I have seen threads about parking tickets on MHF, but the Google search I did, brought many replies, and many angry people regards supermarkets and who they use to issue the tickets

Last edited:

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Why not stop in Weston Super Mare. We had no problem staying the night FOC around Ellenborough Park and a short walk into town.

OP
OP
whoa

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
@whoa

Worse comes to the worse whoa - I'm in Weston Super Mare, you can park on my drive and have EHU if you want, Lordy, Mike and Carolyn are just around the corner,,,,, I feel a Funster meet coming on.

Regards,

Trikeman.

Many thanks for that offer, just had a telling off from the daughter, it's only 220 miles dad, we drove to Cornwall in 8 hours........yeah but they had a Honda CR-V driving at whatever speed, I only want to be going between 55-65 on cruise control in the PVC, I'm retired I don't want to rush, so told off I have been, but great to avoid the heavy traffic betwixt M1 to M5

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Tesco, like all supermarkets, provide parking to encourage people to use their stores and not those of somebody else. Many have time limits now because, whilst they don't mind people nipping away for a short while to another shop, they don't want to provide free parking for customers of other businesses who might not even shop in their stores.
Some supermarkets also have other restrictions on parking which can, in theory, preclude parking of large vehicles. See Here for the results of dialogue with them.
One thing no supermarket chain will do is to have a policy of allowing overnight camping, partly because they do not wish to fall foul of the 1960 Act and partly (again) because they do not want their car parks filling up with people who are there other than just to be customers.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would not rely upon that, the advice is out of date. Recent case law (court of appeal I think) has upheld their right to charge. But it is not a fine, they have to sue for breach of contract.
The legal standing of charges made by private car park owners or the companies who manager their car parks is currently the subject of an ongoing action by one Barry Beavis against ParkingEye Limited.

Beavis lost in his original case at Chelmsford magistrates' court, lost a challenge at Cambridge County Court in May 2014 and then lost at the Court of Appeal earlier this year. The Court of Appeal gave leave to appeal further to the Supreme Court and the case was heard in July. Judgement was reserved by the Supreme Court and is still awaited.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Agree with Leftlegger, Asda is the place to go.

Massive car park , there will be some arctics parked no doubt, often see M/h overnighting.

There store is open 24 hours, so you shouldn't have a problem if you park up furthest from the entrance.

Also only about half a mile from the M'way exit

Andrew

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The camers's, if installed, only read the front number plate when going in......take a minute to cover it up with a wind swept :whistle: tesco carrier bag.
No record of arrival so even though the plate will be read on exit, there is still no record of arrival so no time logged.
They cant say you overstayed if they dont know when you arrived. :devil:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The camers's, if installed, only read the front number plate when going in......take a minute to cover it up with a wind swept :whistle: tesco carrier bag.
No record of arrival so even though the plate will be read on exit, there is still no record of arrival so no time logged.
They cant say you overstayed if they dont know when you arrived. :devil:
That is NOT going to work PPJ ... there is no such thing as a 'wind swept' carrier bag nowadays ... they cost 5p so no-one is going to discard them!!!! :LOL:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
and worse if they are still parked there 6 months on, it will be one hell of a parking charge if there is one :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That is NOT going to work PPJ ... there is no such thing as a 'wind swept' carrier bag nowadays ... they cost 5p so no-one is going to discard them!!!! :LOL:
Yes, but look around the carpark perimeter.....there will be loads of carrier bag trees bearing fruit, there are at all our supermarkets

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi pappajohn.
I was with you,years ago,"Night Trunking ? LOL" Or running silent!.Bit of a Sack over the bumper/front number plate,(excuse,it makes the heater work better ?) and two old tyre inner tube "Rubber bands" holding the rear number plate on the back of the tailer,with parts of the letters/numbers obscured. Silent checks ? Sorted.
Tea Bag aka Sinner

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back