Advice please ....Additional leisure battery and battery monitor (1 Viewer)

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just on my second van but still I'm a newbie
Hi all

I'm hoping that you might be able to offer some advice.

I presently only have one leisure battery (it's an 80ah) in my Master based MH.

I have 2 X 100w solar panels and would like to have 2 leisure batteries as EHU isn't used that much. I have updated my weight from 3500 to 4200 so I have the payload.

There is room in my battery box for 2 batteries (see image) and the Banner Energy will fit nicely.
image.jpg

I think it's something I can do myself, the battery posts are the same size so I will need to get 2 new straps to connect the batteries in series. Do I connect the solar panel outputs from the regulator to just one of the batteries (as they are connected now)?

I also want to fit a battery monitor which was recommended on here and is quite cheap off that well known auction site.

A question I have is (see image) how do I connect the shunt. I know it needs to go across the load, however, the battery as connected at the moment has 3 outputs (all fused) from it so I presume all these have to connect to the shunt to ensure I get an accurate reading? Can I simply cut these in-line join
image.jpeg
them and insert the shunt? I can see that the ground side connects directly to one side of the shunt but I want to make sure that I properly capture the load, otherwise I might as well forget the monitor.

Hope the images have uploaded.

Many thanks for any advice.

R

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
An in series connection of two 12 volt batteries will result in a 24 volt output :eek: - you need to connect them in parallel (y)

OP
OP
RFS

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks MH55, I did mean + to +, etc but for some reason typed series...!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The shunt does not go across the load it connects in series with it, normally in series with the negative battery terminal.
With your limited electrical knowledge, it may be better to get someone experianced to have a look before proceeding.

OP
OP
RFS

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks... probably a sound idea...!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
What you propose is straight fwd...
As has been covered because of your wording in your original post which was confusing.... your batteries should be connected in parallel. ...
Your shunt in series... in your case in the negative side of the battery... no other connection to the battery negative post than one side of your shunt...
All your present wires that connect to your battery negative are taken off the other side of the shunt.... (as per the little diag in the photo above
With your batteries connected in parallel it's good practice to take the positive feed to loads and any chargers (that includes solar connections ) off one battery, and take the negative wires from loads and chargers off the other battery...
The only other wiring are the little signal wires front the shunt to the panel which allow voltage and current to be viewed...
The only problem I can forsee is the calibration of your panel if it's one of the little Chinese jobber off e bay.... best of luck with that.....but I'm sure it will still function after a fashion even if the calibration isn't spot on...
Andy.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@RFS To save me trawling through the site would you mind posting the link for the battery monitor you have purchased. Thanks.

OP
OP
RFS

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Here is the link and the comments in the post that implied it was ok for use.....

I got that one with a 100amp shunt, works a treat, no need to calibrate. when I switch on my 3 watt led, it reads 3 watts when I switch on 4 of them it reads 12 watts. seems accurate enough. Voltage the same too all works

You can have the LED backlight on or off via the button on the side, and you can reset the power consumed display by a press and hold. easy to wire up just a bit of light 4 core and a very very high quality unit well built for the money.

OP
OP
RFS

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks @andy63 very informative

OP
OP
RFS

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Apologies Chris

I'm on my iPad but eBay item is:

Rob

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks @RFS your item number worked for me. Many thanks for the info. The monitor certainly looks a very good buy at the asking price :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back