Advice On What A Dealer Should Offer When Buying Secondhand. (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returning to M/H after long break
I'm buying my first MH; (3yr old A class) from a dealer. My own inspection and moisture readings are okay but I'm inexperienced.

Before I collect, it will be MOT'd, have a habitation check and I've been told it'll have a 12month warranty (don't know the detail of this warranty).

Questions please:
Should I also expect a damp check report or is that something I arrange?
Does a damp check have a standard procedure of checking and recording?
Do warranties cover damp ingress?

Thanks

Dave

OP
OP
D
Aug 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I can't seem to find and edit feature for my last post. I should have added that I'd be grateful to hear from Frankia owners who will know specific things to look foreign a secondhand version.
Thanks
Dave

Upvote 0

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
All depends on which dealer. Ive bought 3 in the last 3 years two came with hab gas and eletric report the third came with nothing i asked for the report they said they dont give them out but did do the checks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If you join the forum there is a useful book in the resources section on buying a motorhome.

If you are new to Motorhoming joining will probably be the best £15 you have ever spent. (y)

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
All depends on which dealer
And how distant they are from your home if/when it needs to go back for repairs.
Warranties are fine but if you have to drive a long way for repairs and leave it with them overnight or for several days............ :unsure:
Can't answer your specific questions as it depends upon the dealer and conditions of the warranty.
I would recommend a check on weight at a weighbridge to verify how much payload is available.

Upvote 0

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
Ive never met a good dealer but it should say on their website what the warranty covers.And all that spriddler says check also

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D
Aug 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If you join the forum there is a useful book in the resources section on buying a motorhome.

If you are new to Motorhoming joining will probably be the best £15 you have ever spent. (y)
Thanks for pointing this out. I have just paid.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for pointing this out. I have just paid.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If you do get a damp check report from the dealer, it will only be valid for that day, but is a good back up in case there are issues, later. Check if there is any manufacturers warranty left and that all hab checks warranty checks are up to date, ask to see them. You also require at least 2 sets of keys, don't accept just the one set.
If your buying an A class, it will probably be over 3. 5t so just check you have a c1 on your licence.
Best of luck. (y)

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You will need a hook up cable, ramps for levelling, a gas bottle, awning straps, crockery etc etc if the dealer has a shop can he throw in a few sweeteners or give you a discount in the shop, any free hab checks for the next couple of years, a service? You just have to ask. (y) the latter don't cost the dealer very much, but would be a few hundred to you.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
In that case you can look at the reviews section to see what others think of the dealer you are buying from.
A payload or weight certificate ?
Seems to be a constant thread topic of late and of significant importance.
In my opinion only, thanks.
Enjoy your new toy, they are great fun.

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I'm buying my first MH; (3yr old A class) from a dealer. My own inspection and moisture readings are okay but I'm inexperienced.

Before I collect, it will be MOT'd, have a habitation check and I've been told it'll have a 12month warranty (don't know the detail of this warranty).

Questions please:
Should I also expect a damp check report or is that something I arrange?
Does a damp check have a standard procedure of checking and recording?
Do warranties cover damp ingress?

Thanks

Dave

Your van should have a mains hook up lead and a bottle of gas for standard. They cannot do a proper handover unless they can show you everything working.
They should also put you up at a nearby campsite for a couple of nights incase of any issues or questions you may have.
They should also provide you with a tailored handover video showing you every part of your van including how to use heating control panel etc especially given Covid.
You should have a Habitation Check and an Electrical inspection certificate.
12 month warranty is good to be fair.
Also ask to see paperwork for any prep they have done and reported.

Upvote 0

dbw

Feb 16, 2014
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740plus
Exp
Since 2014
Frankia’s have a10 year water ingress warranty (if Thermoguard Plus ) but require an annual damp check at the dealers, I would expect a three year old example to have one as a matter of course but check anyway. If you’re buying from SMC then they’re generally pretty good although you’ll hear differing opinions, we’ve always been pretty happy. We have a Frankia and we love it 😊

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back