Advice on this RV £6k, no MOT and potential damp (2 Viewers)

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
As above, I didn't think. I will appologise to the OP when he returns.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Sorry but Wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole there is a reason it hasn’t been mot’d for years. No way it will be able to be driven on a car licence, don’t walk. run
The right van will be out there somewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

JacobsMess

Free Member
Jan 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
Thanks all!
I'll move on past this, its very attractive looking but for the myriad of good reasons, sometimes you need people outside of your own dreams to talk you down.
I'll keep looking, he has provided proof it's registered as a LGV and been downplated, claims it was a 5T before but as stated, this seems dubious....
The search goes on....

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Thanks all!
I'll move on past this, its very attractive looking but for the myriad of good reasons, sometimes you need people outside of your own dreams to talk you down.
I'll keep looking, he has provided proof it's registered as a LGV and been downplated, claims it was a 5T before but as stated, this seems dubious....
The search goes on....

Appologies if I offended you mate.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
The search goes on....

Good luck with your search...

Don`t rush in blindfolded... there will be one that suits out there somewhere..

Just make sure it is the right one and ask as many questions as you like...

We all started some where and if people are truthful I expect a lot have made big mistakes in their time..

I did...:RollEyes::blush::crying:

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks all!
The search goes on....
Nothing wrong with having a dream but good to have others to give their opinions as well .
Give us all an idea of what you want . Does it have to be a American style RV or are you open to other types of van ? What’s the budget ? Mainly for use abroad or a mixture of both ?
👍🏻

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Thanks all!
The search goes on....
It's possible that the paperwork might have been incorrect at first import, back in the 80s/90s some rv importers used to put whatever they wanted on the forms and it was rarely checked.....I knew a lot of racers running 10/12 ton RV's with 7.5 ton on the paperwork

OP
OP
J

JacobsMess

Free Member
Jan 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
Appologies if I offended you mate.
No need but I appreciate it!
Nothing wrong with having a dream but good to have others to give their opinions as well .
Give us all an idea of what you want . Does it have to be a American style RV or are you open to other types of van ? What’s the budget ? Mainly for use abroad or a mixture of both ?
👍🏻
It doesn't have to be an RV at all, I'm looking for something comfortable (but not necessarily huge) for a family of 4 for at least one trip to Norway. We'd either sell it upon out return or plan to park it up somewhere and use it as temporary accommodation whilst we build a house (if it's large enough). We can only drive up to 3.5T and realistically we're unlikely to get an upgraded license.
The budget of £6k is realistic tbh, I really like the look of classics (old Merc style vans) but tbh, would go with whatever fits for now with a plan to get something more to my taste in the future. Thanks all, tbh, I've never been part of such a supportive forum!
Cheers

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
You could always take a c1 test to allow you to drive bigger vehicles? If you're looking to sell when you get back, you could buy a more reliable Moho at around 15k and the depreciation won't be that much. If you do it via a loan then it's only the cost of the interest you would be paying. It's good to take a step back and consider other options.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Wanting 4 berth and 3.5t is going to be very tight it may be worth thinking about a c1 entitlement it would give you a lot more choice.

OP
OP
J

JacobsMess

Free Member
Jan 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
Would a caravan and an old 4X4 be better for you, if it`s just a one off trip and some where to live when you come back and build your house..
yeah its something we're exploring but when it comes to the price of a 4x4 and caravan we're back in campervan price territory it seems.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I suspect you are going to struggle getting any older vehicle that has enough payload to take 4 people and all their stuff on a long trip and still keep it below 3500kg.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No need but I appreciate it!

It doesn't have to be an RV at all, I'm looking for something comfortable (but not necessarily huge) for a family of 4 for at least one trip to Norway. We'd either sell it upon out return or plan to park it up somewhere and use it as temporary accommodation whilst we build a house (if it's large enough). We can only drive up to 3.5T and realistically we're unlikely to get an upgraded license.
The budget of £6k is realistic tbh, I really like the look of classics (old Merc style vans) but tbh, would go with whatever fits for now with a plan to get something more to my taste in the future. Thanks all, tbh, I've never been part of such a supportive forum!
Cheers
Have you had a look on the hymermarket on FB there are some nice old vans at reasonable prices on there😊
Good luck with your search🤞😊

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=313383815528

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=224315978770

first one is motorhome under 6k, though not sure re travelling seats, second is a pod that fits onto a truck. might be a better option than car and caravan?

i suppose an issue is, how big are the children, as that would inform your decision on what sleeping accomodation would suffice?

Last edited:

ghiaguy

Free Member
Sep 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
20 years
For a shed to put in the back garden it’s a tad expensive

OP
OP
J

JacobsMess

Free Member
Jan 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
going to struggle getting any older vehicle that has enough payload to take 4 people and all their stuff on a long trip and still keep
Should have said, one 'person' is not 1 yet so pretty light weight and the other is 4, we also can travel pretty lightweight but will definitely keep it in consideration cheers! Maybe a 3.5T Luton is the sensible option....
Have you had a look on the hymermarket on FB there are some nice old vans at reasonable prices on there😊
Good luck with your search🤞😊
Will take a look, been keeping an eye on it but there is also a whole lot of crap on there! haha, cheers

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
as others have pointed out, make sure its all legit, use a credit card payment if possible, even if only as a deposit and dont scrimp on the vehicle check process

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Should have said, one 'person' is not 1 yet so pretty light weight and the other is 4, we also can travel pretty lightweight but will definitely keep it in consideration cheers!
You will have to find one with travelling seats that take the 2 child seats. In my experience these are bulky things. If you find something with a drop down bed over these seats, you may find there is not enough room to keep them in place, or you may want to sit and eat at the dinette table without the seats, so would need somewhere to put them.

It’s a lovely thing to take children travelling but I think they are a little young, my daughter has little ones same age and finds the journey from Bristol to their static caravan in Devon more than enough! I dont think children appreciate driving all day through beautiful scenery as much as us adults do :Smile:

Do you have a specific reason to go all the way to Norway? If not, then there are lovely places to go much closer to home.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
You will have to find one with travelling seats that take the 2 child seats. In my experience these are bulky things. If you find something with a drop down bed over these seats, you may find there is not enough room to keep them in place, or you may want to sit and eat at the dinette table without the seats, so would need somewhere to put them.

It’s a lovely thing to take children travelling but I think they are a little young, my daughter has little ones same age and finds the journey from Bristol to their static caravan in Devon more than enough! I dont think children appreciate driving all day through beautiful scenery as much as us adults do :Smile:

Do you have a specific reason to go all the way to Norway? If not, then there are lovely places to go much closer to home.
i agree re children 'not enjoying' the drive. however if theyre young they will often sleep while youre driving or if the right moho is selected they can always watch tv/dvd's - though i think the real way to do it is to plan the journey properly with quite a few stops - especially where they can let off some steam at a park along the way. the car seat issue is also one which you should take into account and the point re storing when not in use is one often overlooked i would imagine

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
i agree re children 'not enjoying' the drive. however if theyre young they will often sleep while youre driving or if the right moho is selected they can always watch tv/dvd's - though i think the real way to do it is to plan the journey properly with quite a few stops - especially where they can let off some steam at a park along the way. the car seat issue is also one which you should take into account and the point re storing when not in use is one often overlooked i would imagine

We travelled for 9 months around Australia in one of these, family of 4 the only luxury was a custom made bench seat directly behind the driver /passenger seats, some of the best days of my life. this was an upgrade from the 2 bed wooden caravan that fell apart outside of the Royal National Park at Uluru (Ayres Rock as the western world referred to it at the time). I was introduced to the travel bug at the age of 3 non stop from LHR to Sydney. My daughter travelled extensively with both myself and my parents, plenty of books , no videos and as with my brother and myself a generation before loads of conversation about the things that we saw and experiences we had. We were given school work to do during the nine months, that lasted I think for about the first week but the education was 'real world' we worked out how much water/fuel we used and how much we would need to make it across the Nullubor. Miles travelled, people met, cultures and experiences that school could never match.

By the time my daughter was 21 she had visited a country for every year of her life (many in Europe more than once and not ;fully inclusive sit by the pool at 7 she could communicated in french sadly and skill now lost)

Get a van pack you and the kids up and as soon as you can do it. The opportunity will never come again as you will be very surprised how quickly the the kids will not want to travel with you. My daughter turned down a month in the Caribbean at 15 as she had plans with her friends.............................................
1610881430348.png

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
JacobsMess If you are now wondering why you can't post anymore it is because you have reached your limit of free posts. You can continue to read but cannot post unless you subscribe. It is only £15 per year and I always say it is the best £15 I spend each year, because the useful advice you get here. always save me a lot more than that each year.

With regards to the kids there is a safety aspect that you need to think about. With your budget I doubt you will be able to get a motorhome with ISO fixings for kids seats and you will struggle to even get one with 4 full seats belts. Many motorhomes of the age you need to look for only had lap belts in the rear at best. Are you willing to compromise the safety of your kids to that extent?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
As this is to be a 'one off trip' I would seriously consider making it a sort of camping trip with a van/camper---- running a vehicle over 3.5ton and over 6 metres long really adds to local ferry / toll costs.
Norway is absolutely fantastic and wild camping (with certain considerations) is very acceptable.
A lot of things are horrendously expensive but the country/ people well worth the trip.
We have done this twice in motorhomes in recent years but included Sweden to help keep costs down.
Check your speed limits in Norway(they are very low) AND STICK TO THEM the penalties are severe.
I think I speak for most on Fun when I say -- please keep us up to date with your plans--- a few sound negative but are concerned for you.
Your licence will not allow you to drive any traditional RV I am afraid
All the best wishes for your trip---' any information you require PLEASE ask on Fun.

EDIT I see someone mentioned your subscription ??-- this may be the best money you ever spend!!

Last edited:

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Going to have a look and see what’s available but as said before the travel seats could make the search a little harder .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back