Advice on this RV £6k, no MOT and potential damp (1 Viewer)

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019

Rapidoman 2011

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 21, 2013
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9009 DFH
Exp
20 Years Plus
Lots to consider here, your age and ability to fix this up, how long the fixes will last, other problems along the way, it looks old, it is old, if that is 3.5 ton, that must be with nothing on, what so ever. Don't buy a problem, Buy a motorhome, keep looking and walk away from this one...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
So looking to get a motorhome to travel to Norway for a few months later this year. I've found something local that is downplated to 3.5T so I can drive it on my car license, but they want £6k, it hasn't had MOT for 3 years (200miles since the last one) and has some rot by the sounds of it. would you advise to move on or try to negotiate price down?
I'm handy at DIY and construction/mechanics on simple engines but would obviously like to avoid spending more money than necessary for a big project. How easy are body panels to replace?
Thanks
View attachment 456808
I think this one is left well alone, don’t just walk away, RUN, it’s an absolute money pit, all exterior metalwork e.g. chassis etc, and any internal wood framework are going to be as ripe as a pear, and as for weighing in at 3.5ton. is taking the pee, more like almost double, and you’d need to be a super duper diy’er to get this one sorted, can never envisage this being roadworthy, forget it, there are better bargains to be had, just be patient.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That RV will NEVER downplate to 3500kg.
My 7500kg RV, which was downplayed from 8250kg, weights over 4000kg on the rear axle alone.
Unloaded and no fresh water it MAY just squeeze in at 3500kg on the rear axle but you still have another 2500kg on the front axle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2000
I had one and at that age its bound to be damp around window frames and it's about 6.5to7.5 ton .mine was petrol and cost 300 £ to fill.and even if its deisel will only get about 7 mpg...avoid this as it will cost you a lot more if something goes wrong whilst driving abroad .
We have twin axle eura mobil and broke down in Hungary.
It was touch and go if they could find a recovery truck that would take it to garage,.
So should imagine if you broke down abroad you are going to be stuck.
Also most recovery for motorhomes they go on year and value.of how much it would cost to recover to uk
Ours was recoverd from Hungary to manchester and they charged our breakdown insurance company £7500.to get it home.
So please take my advice and leave well alone .
Ps hope you find some thing your happy with.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back