Advice on selling my motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Sep 1, 2020
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Exsis i524
Exp
I’m a Newbie
Hi Guys
I am about to advertise our Hymer b774. We are moving abroad and the cost and hassle of reregistering it means it makes sense to buy again when we get there.
I would appreciate any advice regarding handling the financial transaction safely and also what might be good to include in the advert.
Many thanks

Deleted User
When I sold our VW California I was nervous on taking 50k from a buyer.
From the outset I set the terms of sale, minimum of £500 deposit and Chaps payment to my bank before keys handed over.
I also confirmed with my bank that once payment entered the account it was cleared funds and couldn't be reversed.
The buyer transferred payment in front of me, I only completed when monies showed as cleared in my account.
I also insisted on a copy of driving licence and another proof of address.
For my own piece of mind I also did a goggle search of his address which gave me an indication of his financial standing.
Printed out a online invoice which we both signed.
Over the two wks from advert to sale I had built a relationship with the buyer and was confident he was genuine, even after paying for the vehicle it was left at my address for the weekend as he and his wife had a couple of days site seeing in Cambridge.
They were a great couple, on their return to collect I sold them some additional extras.
Hopefully one day we will see them and 'Frida the camper' on a site somewhere.
We even received a call from them a few days later saying all was well and thanking our young daughter for he letter she'd left in the glovebox asking them to look after 'Frida'.
For us it went we, however if for whatever reason you feel uncomfortable with the buyer walk away.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Hi Guys
I am about to advertise our Hymer b774. We are moving abroad and the cost and hassle of reregistering it means it makes sense to buy again when we get there.
I would appreciate any advice regarding handling the financial transaction safely and also what might be good to include in the advert.
Many thanks

Have you thought about putting it in the classified section on here?

There’s a fair few threads of people’s experience of selling on here as well.

Simple guide......no money in account, no van. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
i always ask for £250 deposit by bank transfer when selling a car or van, that way the buyer has then set up the relationship between both accounts (yours and theirs) which hopefully minimises the risk of any hold ups when they transfer the larger some. I always recommend to the buyer to give their bank a call letting them know that they will be transferring the balance on a particular day to also minimise any delays with security checks etc. I also do a quick search of the buyers name and address etc. To satisfy myself that they are genuine. 👍

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
If you are going to let potentials test drive confirm they are insured to do so along with valid license if over 3500, AND go with them on the test drive.
Then if they want to buy, as above.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you are going to let potentials test drive confirm they are insured to do so along with valid license if over 3500, AND go with them on the test drive.
Then if they want to buy, as above.
And don't get out at any point , I've heard of a few cases with cars where the 'buyer' has asked to swap over then when you get out they just drive off

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back