advice on sat nav apps (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi can you good people help, we have a stand alone trucknav which has in the last 2/3 outings gone a little off grid, I.E. down a couple of narrow'ish roads, not got stuck "yet" but you never know, so i was wondering if all the funsters out there that use the nav apps which in your opinion is the best, paid for or free , thinking of getting a new tablet to use as a sat nav possible the samsung tab A 10.1 with a sim card slot so i can have data only with whoever has the best deal ,or do i bite the bullet and get the Garmin 770( it's a which best buy ) at 250 + , over to you.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We use both Copilot and Sygic Truck

Newer versions of Copilot have gone down the pan if you don't want to travel via motorway and A roads, but it still carries options for motorhome routing.

Sygic Truck has the added advantage that you can if you want, pre plan a route with stops if require in Google Maps on a PC and then send it to your Sygic Truck via a free App that Sygic offer.

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Sygic Truck has the added advantage that you can if you want, pre plan a route with stops if require in Google Maps on a PC and then send it to your Sygic Truck via a free App that Sygic offer.

Plus it integrates well with route planning in apps like Park4nights.

We use it with the live traffic function which works well.

Having tested a number of satnav apps I find the interface of Sygic better and clearer than the alternatives.

Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I downloaded and paid for Copilot when we were in France in July. Thought it was pretty good and would recommend it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've used copilot for over ten years but this Sygic keeps getting good reports and copilot seem to be going for greedy annual licenses so maybe time to change.

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
I've used copilot for over ten years but this Sygic keeps getting good reports and copilot seem to be going for greedy annual licenses so maybe time to change.

Sygic is £50 lifetime license plus all of one region's maps (Europe is one region) - plus I think £9 per year for live traffic.

Co-pilot seems to have lots of additional charges for maps, updates, etc. Looked to be more expensive overall to me.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sygic is £50 lifetime license plus all of one region's maps (Europe is one region) - plus I think £9 per year for live traffic.

Co-pilot seems to have lots of additional charges for maps, updates, etc. Looked to be more expensive overall to me.

I bought the current copilot a good while ago and that is a lifetime deal with map updates but I think the version I have is not as good as the earlier ones, less options.

£50 is nothing when talking SatNav is it. A £50 ebay tablet ( chosen with care ! ) and it's one cheap deal.

The annoying thing with named SatNav is simply that all they are is a small tablet with reduced features and some SatNav software. A scam they get away with because in the past it was the only option.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You can now kiss goodbye to Copilot now it's in the hands of Trimble. (n)

Oh dear. I just looked at current pricing. £25 PA for caravan. I paid about £30 for lifetime a few years ago and it lets me load on more than one device at a time, like bike and van.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I bought Sygic and copilot when I got my MoHo. I don’t bother with copilot anymore and just use Sygic as it’s much better. Also works direct from ACSI app, which is a nice feature.
I run it on an iPad that is dash mounted.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
I see that Sygic Car is £16 inc live traffic right now - but Caravan (their name for the MoHo/RV/Caravan version) is £64 excl traffic.

Not fair!

Anyone got a discount code to get this a bit more inline with the car cost?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I see that Sygic Car is £16 inc live traffic right now - but Caravan (their name for the MoHo/RV/Caravan version) is £64 excl traffic.

Not fair!

Unfortunately you’ve just missed a very good deal they were doing. But if it helps, so did I when I purchased it.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I bought a licence for CoPilot Truck not cheap but now they have retired it and they want £80 a year. This lifetime sales pitch is rubbish as they can just pull the plug after a couple of years and say the product has reached the end of it's life.

Just bought a Huawei M5 8.4 very quick and installed iGO Truck with Tom Tom maps and Here Maps. Working really well.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Not fair!

Sygic regularly offer discounts so one should be along before to long.

I used the free trial version first and when that ran out Sygic emailed me every few day with more and more discount offered and I paid for the full version when they offered it to me for £46 and that was about 6 or 7 month ago.

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
What about stand alone satnav's like Garmin, Tom Tom, trucknav ETC, any thoughts on them or have they had their day??

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
For me they have had their day.
Apps are easy to update. Transferable if you buy new machine, often copied onto phone as well as iPad, can take off windscreen and preplan route/destination without needing power supply, it’s cheaper as you probably already own the iPad (or similar), can have the ability to get live traffic (via sim, or WiFi). Also can use other apps to transfer destination/POI/coordinates

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back