Advice on Roller team thermo pack (1 Viewer)

Kiteman123

Free Member
Aug 26, 2018
Funster No
Hello everyone and thank you for reading my post

My wife and I (no childen) are looking at buying our first motorhome (a roller team 696 (a 7.4m island bed coach built model)) and I am after advice on an upgrade pack

For £1500 I can get the Thermo pack.

This includes the following :-
1) 6kW gas and electric heating/hot water upgrade with CP plus (upgrade from 4kw)
2) Insulation and heating to the waste tank
3) Active protection to the external water pipes (I find this confusing as they advertise that the fresh water tank and plumbing is all internal)
4) improved wheel arch insulation
5) improved entrance step insulation
6) Insulated cab curtain

My wife and I are planning to use the MH as much as possible for weekends away in the UK....not just when we have our short summer.

With a 1% chance in a few years time to take it the French alps.

I have spoken to 2 diferent dealers. One said "you definitely need the Thermo pack" and one has said the complete opposite.

Can someone please go through the 6 features I listed and tell me their effectiveness in keeping the MH warm.

If I wasn't to get the pack installed i have looked at getting an external silver screen for the cab. Are these any good?

Thanks in advance for any info given

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, and welcome to the funsters re. the external screens they are a must , There are many versions about but the best I have had were the Paragon make and the Silverscreens make .With regard to the rest of the thermo option pack It would be nice to have them but £1500 seems a lot, ask the dealer for some kind of offer or reduction as they often will.:)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi and :welcome4:

The Thermo pack is basically to enable you to use your m/h in very cold/freezing weather e.g. the French Alps skiing in winter. If that is your plan then it would be a nice add-on, but as Mike says, get a deal going! For the pack to work properly, however, I'd want all of the mods, they'll each add their own little bit extra. In any case it's still not absolutely necessary, there are plenty of experienced folk on here who ski and have various work arounds.

Otherwise it's not really essential, modern vans come with good insulation as standard but I would definitely go for an external insulating screen cover, they make a tremendous difference both in keeping the van warm and also helping to keep it cool when acting as a sunscreen. Also almost completely eliminate condensation on the windscreen.

I assume this is your first van so have to ask, are you sure the layout suits you and payload is adequate? The reason I ask is that many people (but not all I hasten to add) find after a short while that some things don't suit their requirements and they change, thus incurring quite a big financial loss. Some take 2 or three changes to "get it right". Have you considered buying used for your first venture into motorhoming? There are lots of immaculate vans around where the first owners have discovered just what I've mentioned, and should you find you have second thoughts the loss wouldn't be half so bad.

Whatever you decide the most important thing is to enjoy. Become a full subscriber (best £15 you will ever spend on motorhoming) to get full access to all the information, resources, discounts, social life as well as a bit of Fun too!

Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
I have that pack, was better value previously with a truma regulator that allowed gas heating whilst driving, auto change over of bottles and a deicing facility - was a winter pack after all!
1) 6kW gas and electric heating/hot water upgrade with CP plus (upgrade from 4kw) - a must, electric is pants but gas great - also fab with inet box to put heating on when in the pub!
2) Insulation and heating to the waste tank - neat factory job on insulation and wired with a 12v heater
3) Active protection to the external water pipes (I find this confusing as they advertise that the fresh water tank and plumbing is all internal) most are inside but waste outside depending on model
4) improved wheel arch insulation - mine was missing stuffed with insulation but a must to stop pipes close by freezing.
5) improved entrance step insulation - sandwiched between two skins - decent job at factory
6) Insulated cab curtain - like a duvet can use outside winter screens instead

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back