Advice on repairing mastic joint on roof please (1 Viewer)

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
IMG_2892.JPG
During the heavy rain last weekend I found water dripping onto the cabinets below the point on the roof where the rear panel meets the roof panel .(see photo below).
Now it's dry had a look at the joint. The mastic sealant has a crazed appearance and is chalky to touch.
I'm assuming the mastic needs replacing.
Is this a job I could do myself?
If so what do I need to do and what replacement mastic is needed etc.
My MoHo 8yr old Pilote is booked into FM Caravans Hull this Saturday for them to have a look, but they are booked up until the beginning of August before they could do the work.
The seam runs the whole width of the roof.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
IMG_2892.JPG

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it needs scraping out thoroughly, then clean with white spirit, allow to dry and reapply the correct mastic, squeezing well into the joint to ensure no air gaps

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Usually, the panels overlap each other and there should be a layer of sealant between the panels. The sealant along the joint itself it there to stop water sitting in the joint
If it were me, I would carefully scrape out the old sealant, thoroughly clean the surfaces and use something like Sikaflex 512 or 212 to fill the gap

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
My concern is if it's already dripping inside then any roof timbers in the area will already be wet and the rot has started. Suggest talking to an expert repairer but I think it needs opening up, drying, anything rotten replaced then re-sealed with top quality mastic, not house DIY rubbish.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
As far as I know Pilote don't use timber in the roof they use aluminium. I had trouble with my joints on roof and covered with a 3M waterproof tape, sorry can't remember the name butility I ordered it from Germany and it wasn't cheap. Touch wood it has lasted about six years with no leaks.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would seal and then tape the roof joint, google RV roof tape (the good stuff is expensive) or if you are at Stratford or Stoneleigh I have a roll in the garage and I am sure we could come to some arrangement.

Martin

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
There are other garages that deal with repairs, including Camper UK and I think Becks. Could be worth giving them a call.

OP
OP
Margaritaman

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
Thanks to everyone for their advice.
I am pretty sure @FJmike is right about the aluminium construction in the walls and roof
@Abacist and @rosalan I'll see what my local repairer has to say then probably contact Hayes, a longstanding Pilote dealer, for more advice. Good to know about CamperUK and Becks
@funflair I'll be at Stoneleigh with The Tribby group so I'll wander over to the Funsters camp for a chat with you.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
To be fair I don't know Pilote's construction methods. I can only speak from a mate who repairs wooden frame caravan and motorhomes and what needs to be done!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Eternabond RV roof repair tape is very good. Available on ebay, all RVs in the states get it applied to the roof apparently, lots of info on youtube.

OP
OP
Margaritaman

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
To be fair I don't know Pilote's construction methods. I can only speak from a mate who repairs wooden frame caravan and motorhomes and what needs to be done!

I understand what you mean. Although the construction is probably aluminium I share your concern as the wall boards and ceiling are wooden.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks to everyone for their advice.
I am pretty sure @FJmike is right about the aluminium construction in the walls and roof
@Abacist and @rosalan I'll see what my local repairer has to say then probably contact Hayes, a longstanding Pilote dealer, for more advice. Good to know about CamperUK and Becks
@funflair I'll be at Stoneleigh with The Tribby group so I'll wander over to the Funsters camp for a chat with you.
See you there but you will have to wander over to the Niesmann+Bischoff area at Stoneleigh.

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a similar join to that on a previous Rapido we owned and I always thought it was a daft design!

If you contact O'Learys near Beverley you should be able to get the correct materials from them (cheaper than a dealer!) and they'll probably give you some advice on how to do it too ... or may be able to do it for you.

OP
OP
Margaritaman

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
We had a similar join to that on a previous Rapido we owned and I always thought it was a daft design!

If you contact O'Learys near Beverley you should be able to get the correct materials from them (cheaper than a dealer!) and they'll probably give you some advice on how to do it too ... or may be able to do it for you.
I live a few minutes drive from O'Leary's. Always find them helpful and good value.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

I think its a good design, easy and simple to repair, as Martin says, sealant then tape over. A lot less trouble and work than Hymer roof joints for instance.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think its a good design, easy and simple to repair, as Martin says, sealant then tape over. A lot less trouble and work than Hymer roof joints for instance.
... a much better design would have been not to have had such a large join on the roof in the first place ...

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
... a much better design would have been not to have had such a large join on the roof in the first place ...

Yes, agree with that to some extent. Ideally, an even better design would be a one pieces roof cap placed over, how many do them like that, virtually none. Le Voyageur used to, maybe a few of the older German ones until they all realised it was quicker and cheaper to have joins. What I am saying is as roof joins go the one in question is far, far easier to work on\put right than a Hymer one for instance or a lot of others.
Scrape old sealant out, re seal and a strip of tape. Easy, job done.

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
If you use a garage to do the work, take the advice of others on here and make sure they have experience and know what they are doing. A local garage (to us) really made a mess of applying sealant to a roof light on ours. We took it to an expert later and he repaired their mess, and did a brilliant job making it good again

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
if you are ok with DIY and know how to use a mastic gun ,then do it your self and you will know it's done right.
Nothing complicated in the repair.
Remove old sealer using a sharp blade ( all of it ) , clean the surface area properly , apply sealer :)

OP
OP
Margaritaman

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
Just an update on this mornings visit to the caravan repairers.....

The whole of the back walls, ceiling and cabinets were checked for damp and none was found.

It was recommended that both front and rear joints were renewed and also the rear marker lights resealed. £100 for a day's work including materials.

Not a job I've done before but one I feel capable of doing. Think it would take me longer than a day as it's my first time, so am inclined to let them do it.

Thanks again for the advice. Will post some pics after work is completed, but may be some time as they're busy at the moment.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
It was recommended that both front and rear joints were renewed and also the rear marker lights resealed. £100 for a day's work including materials.

Not a job I've done before but one I feel capable of doing. Think it would take me longer than a day as it's my first time, so am inclined to let them do it.

Yip at that price , i would do the same :)

kitcar man

Free Member
Jun 17, 2017
sheffield
Funster No
MH
andy sharrock
Exp
try
PU18 Polyurethane Adhesive & Sealant (WHITE)
Tiger Seal PU Adhesive Sealant
I use the pu 18 to stick kit car panels on when building up a car brilliant stuff go for ebay for the best price

OP
OP
Margaritaman

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
try
PU18 Polyurethane Adhesive & Sealant (WHITE)
Tiger Seal PU Adhesive Sealant
I use the pu 18 to stick kit car panels on when building up a car brilliant stuff go for ebay for the best price

Welcome @kitcar man .
They sound like useful products for other jobs on the motorhome too!

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
For a hundred quid, I'd have chucked the keys at them and told them to get on with it.

By the time you've bought the sealant and any other bits your need, you'll not be saving all that much.

OP
OP
Margaritaman

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
For a hundred quid, I'd have chucked the keys at them and told them to get on with it.

By the time you've bought the sealant and any other bits your need, you'll not be saving all that much.

Thanks @Gizmouk ... my thoughts too... This company has been going some time and has a good local reputation... which is possibly why I can't get booked in until Aug 3. I have some clear Lidl/Aldi waterproof tape which I'll be putting over the offending seam ( when I can find the tape) in the meantime. Will also have a chat with @funflair at Stoneleigh for his advice.

OP
OP
Margaritaman

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
Update:
Day before my van was booked in for work FM Caravans called to ask what time I would be bringing in van. Dropped it off at 9-30. 2-30 had a call to say work was done. They recommended leaving it in their workshop overnight to allow mastic to set without any body movement.
Collected it yesterday. They also re-sealed my shower tray, which wasn't in the original estimate, in the agreed price.
A couple of pics
IMG_20170804_105407.jpg
IMG_20170804_105238.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to my eyes that looks a poor quality job leaving hollows in the roof joint and too untidy down the sides

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years

Good call. They are then responsible if it fails. However, the quality of the workmanship is questionable

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
And I thought I was crap at DIY! That is taking the ****.
Take it back and ask them if they think you are blind or stupid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back