Advice on purchasing gas cylinder whilst touring France /Spain (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Have tried and not successful to find info on other pages.
as above touring France/ Spain 6 weeks next month.
We have 2 6kg Calor gas cylinders. Would it be possible to buy a 6kg in France or Spain and use this in place of one of the then empty Calor cylinder.
Which Brand of 6kg bottle should I go for?
Is it possible to buy an adaptor/connector or would I need to source a tail pipe the van has a bulkhead regulator.
Advice would be greatly appreciated.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
In one word … no

There are lots of threads on gasit and gaslow at the moment, one of these installs is your best bet and get cheaper gas and less hassle changing bottles…😎

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
You can but you would need to purchase a standard pigtail and the necessary gas cylinder connector for a French cylinder
(there are several different fitments )
I would consider a single 11kg gasit or gaslow refillable cylinder and carry a single 6kg calor as a backup

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you currently have butane bottles then for Spanish bottles you need a "Spanish jumbo adaptor" this simply screws onto the end of your pigtail in place of your Clip on bottle adapter. Buy this before you leave as they are a bit rare in Spain. Used 11kg Spanish bottles you can get pretty easily campsite boards / car boots ( rastro) / facebook selling sites etc. The 6kg do exist but much harder to obtain.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It did occur to me that the OP might have one of those UK vehicles that won't accept an 11kgs bottle through the gas locker door.
pelican come back on here and prey tell.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It was the fact that OP specifically asked about 6kg bottles.

I recall renting/buying a 'Calypso' lightweight in France (identical to the BP lightweight) but 99% of the bottles in France are 13-15kgs with a lht POL exit identical to a Calor Butane without the adaptor.
Guess we'll have to wait until the OP comes back with more info.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Also, after a "Google" the repsol 6,kg look chunky compared to UK bottles so even they may not fit.
It is. It's much wider than a UK 6kgs bottle.

Edit.
I may be talking bunkum.
Just found this on a thread on the Darkside.
Viz.

Finally, after 4 attempts, I have managed to get Repsol to divulge the dimensions of the K6 lightweight 6Kg butane bottles. These are:

Load of butane
6 Kg.
Empty weight and valve housing
5,25 Kg.
Total weight of 6 kg charged bottle
11,25 Kg.
Width
310 mm.
Height
400 mm.

Upvote 0

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Have tried and not successful to find info on other pages.
as above touring France/ Spain 6 weeks next month.
We have 2 6kg Calor gas cylinders. Would it be possible to buy a 6kg in France or Spain and use this in place of one of the then empty Calor cylinder.
Which Brand of 6kg bottle should I go for?
Is it possible to buy an adaptor/connector or would I need to source a tail pipe the van has a bulkhead regulator.
Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Most of the supermarkets chain's in France will supply a free issue bottle of your choice. You can then exchange it any where at their branches through out France. You will need to buy a French pig tail for their bottles

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I bought a "Le Cube" gas bottle at a french supermarket Super U, had to register my details giving the address of the local campsite, the total cost was Euro 34.60 which included a deposit of E19.60 and a bottle top regulator, 27mm clip on. I got a suitable hose from a local DIY store. It fits in alongside my 13kg Gaslow.

2019 prices

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
The benefit of the le cube is that it is compact and light, and is about 5 or 6kg. You can fit a clip on adapter that fits on the bottle, which if you use propane, needs a further adapter. I successfully used one of these in a van that would only just take a UK 3.9kg Calor. I bought an empty one in the UK, and used it for some years in France. I also still have a 5kg Twinny, which is shorter and squatter, which I used next to the le Cube, with a different size clip on. I had no difficulty exchanging either of these in France. I now have a new van that takes a pair of larger 6kg Calor, one is straight Calor, the other a Gas-It refillable of the same size. Of course I cannot exchange the one Calor in France, but I should be ok with the other refillable. But for those who can only fit the now abandoned 3.9 kg Calor, refillables seems to be the only option. Thanks, Calor. At least you can give your other loyal customers a better service. I hope.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pelican
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Most of the supermarkets chain's in France will supply a free issue bottle of your choice. You can then exchange it any where at their branches through out France. You will need to buy a French pig tail for their bottles
Thanks for info.
I assume I will have to go to a Motorhome dealer for the pigtail

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
pelican

I did post later on regarding the Spanish Repsol Butano bottle.
If your gap in your gas bottle locker is bigger than 310mm then that bottle will do you.
As previously said, you need a Jumbo ADAPTOR. That last word is v. important because, as you have a bulkhead regulator you don't need another Reg. as that would restrict the flow of gas.
I don't know whether you currently use butane or propane.
If you have propane, you have two choices.
You can either unbolt your propane pigtail and replace it with a butane pigtail,
OR!!!
You can buy an adaptor (different to the Jumbo) This is a lump of metal with two female threads, one on either end. One end takes the propane tail
end the other is threaded Left Hand Thread to amend it to a Butane pigtail. This will then screw onto the Jumbo ADAPTOR.
If you currently use a Butane bottle all you need to do is take off the 'click on' adaptor and screw the end of the pigtail onto the Jumbo ADAPTOR.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
pelican
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
pelican

I did post later on regarding the Spanish Repsol Butano bottle.
If your gap is bigger than 310mm then that bottle will do you.
As previously said, you need a Jumbo ADAPTOR. That last word is v. important because, as you have a bulkhead regulator you don't need another Reg. as that would restrict the flow of gas.
I don't know whether you currently use butane or propane.
If you have propane, you have two choices.
You can either unbolt your propane pigtail and replace it with a butane pigtail,
OR!!!
You can buy an adaptor (different to the Jumbo) This is a lump of metal with two female threads, one on either end. One end takes the propane tail tale end and the other is threaded Left Hand Thread to amend it to a Butane pigtail. This will then screw onto the Jumbo ADAPTOR.
Thanks for info emmit
I use propane with truma bulkhead regulator.
Will measure up locker tomorrow.
Do you know where I could buy the female threaded adaptor?

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for info emmit
I use propane with truma bulkhead regulator.
Will measure up locker tomorrow.
Do you know where I could buy the female threaded adaptor?
Put the following into Ebay.
"Conversion Adaptor from 21.8mm Butane Nut to standard propane Pol"

That should do the trick.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Spain is different to France .You cannot ' buy' or rent a bottle , legally, without a fixed address. You would have to purchase a bottle at a car boot so that you could exchange it. I have never seen a 6kg repsol bottle for sale at any car boot. in fact i have only ever seen a 6kg repsol advertised on one occasion. & I bought it.
the cost of a 6kg repsol exchange is nearly the same as for the 12,5kg repsol or cepsa butane. In fact it might even be dearer now as the price has been falling.

Also, after a "Google" the repsol 6,kg look chunky compared to UK bottles so even they may not fit.
your measurements are correct .the 6kg repsol is actually wider in diameter than the 12,5kg bottles.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've heard this before which puzzles me, if the gas is at 30mb from the cylinder top reg and then goes to the bulkhead reg as it's at the correct pressure already why would it restrict it?

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've heard this before which puzzles me, if the gas is at 30mb from the cylinder top reg and then goes to the bulkhead reg as it's at the correct pressure already why would it restrict it?
Dunno.
But it does, according to Anecdotal evidence.
I'll take another opportunity to remind folks that the ADAPTOR is HARDER to source in SPAIN than the REG.
Buy it before you go.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back