Advice on possible purchase of 2001 Hymer Starline 510 (Mercedes)? (1 Viewer)

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Hello all,
I'm an experienced solo motorhomer living in France but have only had experience of Romahomes (monocoque) and Murvis (PVC). I'm looking at my next purchase but am on a bit of a budget! This little Hymer suits me up and down, but I think it may be quite overpriced at €25,000 (about £21500). Anyone have any advice about anything at all on this van, and what to look out for when I go have a look at it?
Much thanks in advance!
http://www.laballette.com/vehicule-fiche.php?id=84

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I don't know about French prices but in the UK with staycations prices are high. Merc Hymers tend to go for a bit more than Fiat. Possibly a bit overpriced but if it suits you then seriously consider it. Is it the 316 engine?
They are solidly built. Can be problems with the garage floor with spray from the back wheels causing damp

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
I don't know about French prices but in the UK with staycations prices are high. Merc Hymers tend to go for a bit more than Fiat. Possibly a bit overpriced but if it suits you then seriously consider it. Is it the 316 engine?
They are solidly built. Can be problems with the garage floor with spray from the back wheels causing damp
Yes - same here with prices! Grapevine says prices are starting to come down now. As for the engine, I've just realised that their description is sadly lacking and they haven't replied to my enquiry yet. By the looks of the google reviews, perhaps best to avoid this dealer. HOWEVER, I'm in love with this layout and length of van, so I'll be hunting one down, even if it takes me a while.
Thanks for the tip re: water spray damage!

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Before we bought our van (2006 Hymer 525) I spent several days reading the old Hymer threads on Fun. It's well worth doing if you have the time. Perhaps also the Merc and Fiat base threads although they're rather big!
The pics suggest it is in reasonable condition although pictures can deceive.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Before we bought our van (2006 Hymer 525) I spent several days reading the old Hymer threads on Fun. It's well worth doing if you have the time. Perhaps also the Merc and Fiat base threads although they're rather big!
The pics suggest it is in reasonable condition although pictures can deceive.
Thanks - yes, I've started trawling the old forums, and of course, googling 510s to death. Yes - the pics look great, and very low mileage for such an old van. I'll be suspicious of that until I see a complete history of French MOT's! I take it you love your Hymer??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Yes, very pleased with it. The 2.7L manual seems to be a very good unit and the Hymer part is well put together. It would be worth looking on mobil.de for prices in Euros.
I think the equivalent Fiat might be the B544. The Starlines I think are always Mercs. The B544 has a double floor so probably has more storage but mine has 2 drawers in the skirt which is fine.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I lived in Canada for a year in 1975 and hitchhiked across to the Yukon and BC. Had a great trip, one of the highlights was canoeing from Whitehorse to Dawson

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
I lived in Canada for a year in 1975 and hitchhiked across to the Yukon and BC. Had a great trip, one of the highlights was canoeing from Whitehorse to Dawson
I was 9 years old in '75! Living in Alberta. I went up to live in the Yukon/NWT in my late teens. Did quite a bit of kayaking on the Yukon river, and raced cars (totally amateur, totally bonkers!) on the ice of the Mackenzie in the winter. Haunting memories...good and bad! Back then, it was a last frontier - now, a bit too busy.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Back then, it was a last frontier - now, a bit too busy.
I've heard Dawson has changed. It was still a ghost town then with lots of Klondike ruins. There was a paddle boat graveyard by the river with lots of old hulks. One or two of the houses were being done up so I can imagine the way it has changed.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
I've heard Dawson has changed. It was still a ghost town then with lots of Klondike ruins. There was a paddle boat graveyard by the river with lots of old hulks. One or two of the houses were being done up so I can imagine the way it has changed.
It's still all quite wonderful but for certain, tourism, easier flights and MOTORHOMES!!! have made it feel a bit Disneyland compared to the old days. It's certainly not as much of an adventure as it used to be. That said, who knows if it would have survived without any of the above. Love travel, hate how easy and accessible it can all be these days - makes it feel less special. Hey ho!

Jan 28, 2017
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
Yes good memories of Dawson 1970-72. Only place in Nth America I would like to go back to. Still have movies i took whilst there. Mainly it was work at Clinton.. Sorry off topic. Have A S520. OM602 TURBO ENGINE IS BULLETPROOF. yes slight rot rear right behind wheel . reskin with treated ply. Apart from a rebuild of the Truma because there was no room for a later model TRUMA and that butchered drivers door belt all is well. And alloys off a G wagon fit. What a bonus. LHD is great when it rains as you can see where you are going. Nice size and very easy to move about a city in. RWD is a boon if you go offroad. AND still no rust.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Yes good memories of Dawson 1970-72. Only place in Nth America I would like to go back to. Still have movies i took whilst there. Mainly it was work at Clinton.. Sorry off topic. Have A S520. OM602 TURBO ENGINE IS BULLETPROOF. yes slight rot rear right behind wheel . reskin with treated ply. Apart from a rebuild of the Truma because there was no room for a later model TRUMA and that butchered drivers door belt all is well. And alloys off a G wagon fit. What a bonus. LHD is great when it rains as you can see where you are going. Nice size and very easy to move about a city in. RWD is a boon if you go offroad. AND still no rust.
Clinton, British Columbia? Yes, all very beautiful and wild places, especially if you come from here!
Thanks for for your appraisal - unfortunately the 510 is sold and I'm slowly hunting for another - or a 584 - so all tips on things to watch out for are very welcome. Not too frightened to do a little DIY, but certainly will avoid extensive damp! Realising that cab air con is a priority as I'll be spending summers in the increasingly sweltering S of France.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I have a starline 655 and I love it. Mine is also low mileage 32000 2005 van. I had my engine remapped professionally. Now 200bhp and 400 of the little torkies. Instant improvement I didn’t do it for speed. But it has it now and the low down power is amazing. It’s so well built and looks fantastic inside and out. It’s my 5th van and now we have a keeper and I’m happy to spend some ££££ on it to get it the way we want it.
052C4614-CD51-4A05-80AA-8BC4227FC8D4.jpeg

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I have a starline 655 and I love it. Mine is also low mileage 32000 2005 van. I had my engine remapped professionally. Now 200bhp and 400 of the little torkies. Instant improvement I didn’t do it for speed. But it has it now and the low down power is amazing. It’s so well built and looks fantastic inside and out. It’s my 5th van and now we have a keeper and I’m happy to spend some ££££ on it to get it the way we want it.
View attachment 543699
Has the remapping improved the mpg or haven't you kept a record? Who did the remapping and would you recommend them?
I'm happy with the power to be honest but have heard that remapping can increase mpg by up to 10%

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Has the remapping improved the mpg or haven't you kept a record? Who did the remapping and would you recommend them?
I'm happy with the power to be honest but have heard that remapping can increase mpg by up to 10%
Not noticed yet mate. Im off my feet just now with a shattered heel. 👡🦶and 6months recovery 🥲 it was a local company who was offering special offers and he did a grand job. He did a full diagnostic scan of the engine them sent a copy of the vans map and sent it the hq of the mapping company. Once remapped they emailed it back to home and he swapped the vans map for the new one. He crept a copy of the vans map if I want it put back in someday. I have one also for my piece of mind. He did s grand job and most of his work is word of mouth for the remapping. He is a mechanic with a workshop also. I have only done a few hundred miles in the van after mapping it. And I love the low down power and I did test it on the motorway and I was impressed very impressed. But I got it for more power not necessarily top speed. And at speed it will not be good on the mpg. It will be early next year before I’m able to drive it again. I’ll get my friend to take it for it’s not in December. 🤪🥃👍👠

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Hi paddymcc, I have the MB Hymer B680, and the cab aircon only works with the engine running

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back