LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
A friend is considering purchasing the following item.

Broken Link Removed

Part of the reason for this purchase is his wife will use it as her main vehicle
I have tried to tell him what I see as the pros and cons having owned a VW bay window many years ago.

It would be interesting to see everybody's comments so I can present him with the facts.

It's a big sum of money if he gets it wrong.

Thanks everybody.

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
personally not my cup of tea, but I do a lot of work on them and know people who own them and absolutely love them. they also hold there value so re sale should not be an issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
T28 Startline is a very basic van and a bit underpowered, it's white too....
Advert says swivel seats... does the twin passenger seat swivel (not all do). If not, it's blooming useless, with no practical living space.
For £32.5k I'd expect a fully loaded conversion, this one appears rather sparse... no 3way fridge, propex heating, what about hot water?
You could buy a far higher spec transporter (air con/climate control, sat nav/multimedia, leather steering wheel, 6speed, in a nicer colour) for less than £20k, leaving a whopping £12.5k for a custom conversion....
Alternatively, I'd buy a 'named' conversion., something with proven quality and reputation.
California, Autosleeper, Bilbos, and so on - they hold their value so well and are so desirable that you really can't lose.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Good points made above. But on the face of it, to me, it looks a reasonable deal on a nearly new T6 chassis.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Car parks with height barriers. Doubt if it would fit in a NCP multi storey if they routinely visit cities. Might also be an issue at rural visitor spots where they don't like campers.

MPG won't be as good as a runaround car if it's wife's main vehicle, and routine parking is more fiddly. Also based on VW Bay ownership some years ago.

I also agree that two front swivel seats would be very good idea.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
VW nowadays are well over priced as a base vehicle.

Have a look on the T4/5 forum, lots of issues with them.
I had a later T5 as a work van owned by myself, personally I wouldn't bother again.

But then lots of owners wear rose tinted glasses :)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Best VW Transporter is LWB T5 T30 2.5 (5 cylinder) with 6 gears, I've had mine from almost new (2008). Newer ones are under powered and highly stressed.

There are plenty of these about, just be patient and look in MMM mag, Autotrader even Gumtree and ebay.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back